. .
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The coil is reporting around 600ohms with my voltmeter but the battery is about dead so I'm not sure how accurate it is atm. No other isolated outputs are being used on the AXBB at the minute. I have proximity switches on the isolated inputs and a cheap 5 axis Bob for the control panel wiring. I'm wondering if I could use the 5 axis bobs relay as a charge pump to control the safety relay...i can assign it in uccnc but I think I read it can only be used by powering the 5v off usb rather than the boards 5v input.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I having read the manual again I see the charge pump controls the damaged output 1

Not all outputs as I thought last night !

which breakout board are you thinking of using ?

To add another charge pump you need to use a breakout board with a built in charge pump circuit or
    something like cnc4pc's C4
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/c4-safety-charge-pump.html
    the detector circuit is hidden under the board !

You need the circuit that controls the relay to ignore static logic levels
    and only detect the 10Khz charge pump signal

older version
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...ser_manual.pdf
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C4 SAFETY CHARGE PUMPBOARDRev. 6.2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	26196

John

In the ucnc software I can configure which outputs to use for the charge pump so I was planning on setting it to the output 17 in the bob which is for the relay or forward reverse control but it isn't switching the relay which is why I think I need to power it from the ish rather than the on-board 5v connectors. I've included the pdf for the bob

I appreciate the help John
    Edit.
    I should probably add that the bob is connected to port 3 of the AXBB and not to the pc parallel port.
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d514e97...%20%281%29.pdf

Last edited by CharlieRam; 12-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.

The BOB you have linked to does not have the charge pump / watchdog circuit needed

Name:	ebay CNC BOB (2).jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	26197

pin 17 just switches the relay on when the pin is taken high ( +5V )

one DIY circuit from Geckodrive.com

Name:	ChargePumpSafety.pdf 
Views:	198 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	26198

John

Quote Originally Posted by john swift View Post
    The BOB you have linked to does not have the charge pump / watchdog circuit needed

Name:	ebay CNC BOB (2).jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	26197

pin 17 just switches the relay on when the pin is taken high ( +5V )

one DIY circuit from Geckodrive.com

Name:	ChargePumpSafety.pdf 
Views:	198 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	26198

John
    Oh...my understanding was that the AXBB watched for the signal from the pc and then activates a chosen output for the charge pump. In my case it would be pin 17 controlled through the AXBB's 26pin idc to the bob which would then switch the onboard relay on to complete the circuit to power my safety relay for the drives.

Am I understanding it wrong? There should be no random outputs on the AXBBs port 3 lile would be on a pc's parallel port on start up or at least that's what I assumed.

last night I expected the AXBB to work as you described but after downloading the manual

at the bottom of page 19
    8.1.1 .Digital isolated ports.

Port#1 pins 2. to 8. are isolated outputs. These outputs contain high speed 10Mbit/sec
    optocouplers and an N-channel Mosfet transistors.
    The outputs can drive upto 500mAmps of current upto 24Volts voltage levels.
    The high current capability of the output transistors makes these outputs ideal to drive
    relays, solid state relays and other signals which require isolation.
    19/29

on page 21
    8.3 .Charge pump safety circuit port

There is one charge pump safety circuit integrated on the board in port#1 O1 CHP output.
    The charge pump circuit senses the charge pump pulse stream signal from the controller and
    if the signal exists then the output is switched on and if it cuts then the output switches off.
    The charge pump can be used to control a safety relay to cut power when the software is not running on the computer.

Unless I have missed it
    I have not seen an explicit ref to all output being switched off as I would of expected

My be another AXBB user can confirm

John

PS
    have you contacted the manufactures ?

Quote Originally Posted by john swift View Post
    last night I expected the AXBB to work as you described but after downloading the manual

at the bottom of page 19
    8.1.1 .Digital isolated ports.

Port#1 pins 2. to 8. are isolated outputs. These outputs contain high speed 10Mbit/sec
    optocouplers and an N-channel Mosfet transistors.
    The outputs can drive upto 500mAmps of current upto 24Volts voltage levels.
    The high current capability of the output transistors makes these outputs ideal to drive
    relays, solid state relays and other signals which require isolation.
    19/29

on page 21
    8.3 .Charge pump safety circuit port

There is one charge pump safety circuit integrated on the board in port#1 O1 CHP output.
    The charge pump circuit senses the charge pump pulse stream signal from the controller and
    if the signal exists then the output is switched on and if it cuts then the output switches off.
    The charge pump can be used to control a safety relay to cut power when the software is not running on the computer.

Unless I have missed it
    I have not seen an explicit ref to all output being switched off as I would of expected

My be another AXBB user can confirm

John

PS
    have you contacted the manufactures ?
    I think I will have to, I just wanted to check I hadn't missed anything. It was working fine and I'm not sure when it turned faulty but noticed a few days ago that it started straight away it seems strange that the software will allow me to choose any output for the charge pump though.
    Cheers for the help

So I got a response that it could be the input transistor. I have asked whether it is covered under warranty but haven't had a response yet however I decided to check the values myself and the resistors seen in the pic below should be....
    30B=2k
    221=220ohm
    01C=10k
    All the values are correct other than the one circled which gives more like 1k value so in your opinion is it blown or do you think there is a path from elsewhere?

Edit
    How easy is it to replace a faulty smd and what would be an acceptable cost at an electronica shop? I'm just wondering if the cost will be cheaper than shipping back to CNCDrive.

Last edited by CharlieRam; 13-08-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Additional question

I've seen people replace them with a thin tip soldering iron, a pair of tweezers, a steady hand and a magnifying glass. Read a tip in the UB1 manual today that said disconnect your iron from the mains and then ground it once it's at temperature. I'm sure you'll find examples on the old YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The smt resistor coding used is this -
    https://www.hobby-hour.com/electroni...-resistors.php

So far I have not found the transistor marked A66
    I thought it would be something like a high current version of a 2N7002

https://uk.farnell.com/search?st=2n7002
    http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/22...4aAiVAEALw_wcB

may be a
    FDN337N - MOSFET Transistor, N Channel, 2.2 A, 30 V, 0.065 ohm, 4.5 V, 700 mV
    is closer to what we are looking for

https://uk.farnell.com/on-semiconduc...-23/dp/9845356

could you post some wider pictures to see more of the circuit connections
    to see what its connected to

usually I expect resistors to go high resistance when overloaded and semiconductors to go short circuit

John
    Last edited by john swift; 13-08-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add ref to change in resistance

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information