. .
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devmonkey View Post
    I've committed a change so that it determines the maximum native resolution of the camera and uses that, please test.

Cheers, Joe
    You're a star Joe.
    But it defaults to 640x480 on SJ4000. "proper" webcam could be working ok, although windows10 camera app detects it as 1280x720(max video output for sj4000)
    Saying that, SxrosCamera by default don't support anything above 640x480, hence you have to define custom dimensions for higher resolutions.
    It defaulted to maximum resolution supported by SxrosCamera without custom dimensions defined.
    Cheers Les.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 17-10-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You're a star Joe.
    But it defaults to 640x480 on SJ4000. "proper" webcam could be working ok, although windows10 camera app detects it as 1280x720(max video output for sj4000)
    Saying that, SxrosCamera by default don't support anything above 640x480, hence you have to define custom dimensions for higher resolutions.
    It defaulted to maximum resolution supported by SxrosCamera without custom dimensions defined.
    Cheers Les.
    So we can't make it automatically pick the max resolution? If we pick the wrong one presumably it crashes the driver? I don't have a higher res camera to test with.

Edit
    Ok so it looks like Sarxos is using a driver on Windows that doesn't do resolution detection, are you using windows? We could change it so that we force a specific driver per platform but then it becomes a bit of a nightmare to package. Will have to have a think.
    Last edited by devmonkey; 17-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Yes I'm running it under windows.
    If I only change resolution to anything above 640x480 in settings.java it crashes saying that correct resolutions are 174xsomething 320x240 and 640x480
    Defining custom dimension as per sarxos manual and FAQ(look at my pull request) allows to select any resolution. I tried 4000x3000(max res of my sensor) but image quality suggested it was still 1280x720, makes sense.
    Maybe defining custom resolutions and then autos election would work?

The trouble with asking for a custom large resolution is the camera encoder chip can choose to scale it for you if it is larger than the sensor. It seems there is no reasonable solution without forcing a windows specific driver which will actually query the camera for the supported resolutions. Will look into this when I have more time. Almost all cheap cameras makers lie about the resolution of their sensors as well so we can't rely on the user inputing whatever resolution is 'written on the box'.

I did look at your pull request, but I don't think it works generally for everyone as if you request a non-native resolution the camera chip can choose to scale it for you.
    Last edited by devmonkey; 17-10-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Totally agree on my pull request, not suited for all(most?) cameras.
    My understanding is that sarxos don't support higher resolution at all, unless you define them. At least that's what i understood from quick look at sarxos examples ad faq. I may be completely wrong.
    My idea is to try defining "custom" resolutions and then running auto detect. I'll try it tomorrow afternoon, as now i left camera at workshop.
    But before that I'll try your auto detection solution under Linux, Ubuntu and PureOs(both debian based).
    As for now i can't even check benefits of higher resolution as my laser pointer is extremely noisy and line laser will twke 7-15 days to arrive, absolutely no pressure.

Jar from GitHub loads on Ubuntu, detects max resolution as 640x480 then fails. i'm getting blank window and null pointer exception in NextFrame method.

Built from GitHub source on Ubuntu runs ok, detects max resolution as 640x480.

It is indeed driver issue, apparently there is no single driver working on all platforms, those working in Windows/Linux won't work on Mac. And those working on MAC/Linux won't work on Windows.

Just make an option in preferences to select resolution. People using that kind of software should be techie enough no know how to check max supported resolution of their camera?

Did some testing today. SJ4000 gives resolution of 3.75um per pixel in 1280x720 video mode. 4.8mm active sensor width.
    If LaserLevel could work with stills, I could get 1.2um per pixel from that camera. Waaay too sensitive, or is it?
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 18-10-2019 at 09:20 PM.

My laser finally arrived, and...judge yourself.
    camera fitted in precision vice riding on grade 00 18"x 24" granite.
    Running across the beam i'm getting 0.04mm deviation from straight line on ~500mm distance
    Running away from laser I'm getting 0.02mm deviation on ~500mm distance.
    Beam is changing width and apparently this change is not symmetrical.
    I was getting same results with pointer laser(runnig away from it), but assumed that irregular dot with surrounding artefacts was to blame.
    It's still viable way of checking linearity, but as shadow camera and wire. Cheap(£25, glass lens, 80 MW) lasers are not precise enough. maybe £500 line laser could be used, but for such money there's plenty other options.

My laser finally arrived, and...judge yourself.
    camera fitted in precision vice riding on grade 00 18"x 24" granite.
    Running across the beam i'm getting 0.04mm deviation from straight line on ~500mm distance
    Running away from laser I'm getting 0.02mm deviation on ~500mm distance.
    Beam is changing width and apparently this change is not symmetrical.
    I was getting same results with pointer laser(runnig away from it), but assumed that irregular dot with surrounding artefacts was to blame.
    It's still viable way of checking linearity, but as shadow camera and wire. Cheap(£25, glass lens, 80 MW) lasers are not precise enough. maybe £500 line laser could be used, but for such money there's plenty other options.

Do you have any pics of your laser and sensor? I think there is something strange going on with your setup if you see errors moving the sensor along the laser axis. Is the laser spreading? Have you removed all optics and filters from the sensor and bolted the pcb to something solid? We do know that the laser beam is not bending in the air so something else is wrong.

Bare sensor, unless there is anti aliasing filter glued to silicon, but AFAIK it's DSLR's area.
    Stripping further is not really an option, not usable as shadow camera as there are modular PCB's perpendicular to the sensor sticking above it's surface. Webcam incoming.

Cable is clamped, moving laptop around has no impact on measurements when camera is stationary.

Thinking about it makes no sense.
    Both lasers are focusable, both are set to project same width/size line/dot at 8 meters and 20 cm.
    They might be represented as

Laser diodes are not perfect, if one edge is brighter (double line above) average brightness will still be straight line
    Pointer produces coupe stray beams right next to the main point, that could be source of the problem.
    with line laser i have no idea.

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information