. .
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Hi Dave,

The laser line is a plane so you can either zero both rails to this plane or create a virtual plane from any 3 height measurements and zero to that.

Quote Originally Posted by davebaldwin View Post
    I can see how you would setup a single rail in a straight line with a laser/camera combination but don't understand how you would use a generated laser reference plane to setup a second rail.
    Dave.
    Dave,
    Welcome to the forum (I see this is your first post). Make a nice hot cup of tea and read this thread from the start.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Let me elaborate.

To make a rail straight you are changing one degree of freedom so by mounting your camera on a rail truck with the laser pointing parallel to the desired path (and obviously intersecting the camera). A simple measure of how far off the centre of the laser beam gives you the amount of displacement of the rail you need to make before the rail is in line with the laser.

Traditionally, to make a surface planar (or two surfaces separated by a gap) you would use a known good plane - i.e. surface plate and a marking out fluid. Blue up the surfaces and use the surface place to rub the marking fluid off the high spots. This then identifies where you need to scrape to bring both surfaces into the same plane. The marking process is essentially in 3D as it extends along the width, length and heigh of the target surface.

Now for the laser plane method. Mount the laser plane generator on the master rail. Set the plane generator up so it is casting a reference plane parallel to the master rail and not at some pitch or roll error. On the slave rail mount the camera on a truck facing the master rail. Now the offset given by the camera from the laser's centre is how much in heigh the slave rail need to be moved. This is one dimension that has been taken care off. Sliding the slave truck (and maybe the laser plane generator as well) along the rail allows you to sample the height difference along the rail. Second dimension taken care off.

The thing I am missing is how the 3rd dimension is taken care off? What we have done is to set the hight of a line on the slave rail to be the same height as the reference plane where it intersects the focal plane of the camera but not that the whole slave rail is in the same plane as the master rail. Looking at it another way we haven't set the roll (looking down the rail) of the master and slave rails to be the same. Is this a second order effect and it unlikely to be outside the planar tolerance of the trucks across the rails?

Maybe this is covered elsewhere in the thread - I have read the whole thread over the months it has been running, but not in one sitting - and I apologise for the repetition in that case.

On a separate note instead of having a fixed laser and rotating (expensive and hard to get) prism why not just rotate the laser? For this application I would have though the advantages of rotating a small piece of glass over a bulkier laser are necessary.

Dave.

Let me elaborate.

To make a rail straight you are changing one degree of freedom so by mounting your camera on a rail truck with the laser pointing parallel to the desired path (and obviously intersecting the camera). A simple measure of how far off the centre of the laser beam gives you the amount of displacement of the rail you need to make before the rail is in line with the laser.

Traditionally, to make a surface planar (or two surfaces separated by a gap) you would use a known good plane - i.e. surface plate and a marking out fluid. Blue up the surfaces and use the surface place to rub the marking fluid off the high spots. This then identifies where you need to scrape to bring both surfaces into the same plane. The marking process is essentially in 3D as it extends along the width, length and heigh of the target surface.

Now for the laser plane method. Mount the laser plane generator on the master rail. Set the plane generator up so it is casting a reference plane parallel to the master rail and not at some pitch or roll error. On the slave rail mount the camera on a truck facing the master rail. Now the offset given by the camera from the laser's centre is how much in heigh the slave rail need to be moved. This is one dimension that has been taken care off. Sliding the slave truck (and maybe the laser plane generator as well) along the rail allows you to sample the height difference along the rail. Second dimension taken care off.

The thing I am missing is how the 3rd dimension is taken care off? What we have done is to set the hight of a line on the slave rail to be the same height as the reference plane where it intersects the focal plane of the camera but not that the whole slave rail is in the same plane as the master rail. Looking at it another way we haven't set the roll (looking down the rail) of the master and slave rails to be the same. Is this a second order effect and it unlikely to be outside the planar tolerance of the trucks across the rails?

Maybe this is covered elsewhere in the thread - I have read the whole thread over the months it has been running, but not in one sitting - and I apologise for the repetition in that case.

On a separate note instead of having a fixed laser and rotating (expensive and hard to get) prism why not just rotate the laser? For this application I would have though the advantages of rotating a small piece of glass over a bulkier laser are necessary.

Dave.
    Hi Dave,

I think you are conflating the rail itself with creating a planar surface to mount the rail. Imagine we are trying to create a surface plate from a an uneven slab of concrete say. You would mark out a grid of X-Y points on the slab, setup your laser plane and measure height error to the laser at each point. Take any 3 non-co-linear points (there is a method to pick the optimal 3 but it doesn't matter here), compute the equation of the virtual plane that intersects these 3 points, then correct all the other point error heights to this plane. Now shim or scrape as appropriate every point other than the 3 chosen, rinse and repeat until you are happy with the planar error.

If this process was done using just two lines of points one under each rail centre then yes each rail would have a roll error (like setting up a perfectly planar razor blade under each rail and to them) but if you instead level a surface that the rail will sit on using this method (say level the entire 80mm steel beam in my case) then the roll error will be eliminated (sufficiently eliminated).

Rotating a laser without a penta prism wont work as you cannot build a sufficiently well aligned laser mount, it will always cause the rotated laser to project a cone rather than a plane, this is the entire point of a penta prism, it is agnostic to variance in angle of incidence. Remember 1 arcsecond (1/3600 of a degree) will equate to ~5um of error at 1m. If your mount is say 100mm across this needs to be both machined and the laser somehow aligned to it all to within a tolerance of 0.5um, I reckon this is impossible.

Cheers, Joe
    Last edited by devmonkey; 13-01-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Some notes on HD cameras for people wanting to move beyond VGA.

Why bother? In order to get more vertical range, VGA gets you ~2mm which is not very much when starting with a very unlevel surface, and it is quite hard to align the laser to within 2mm of the thing you are trying to level, but not impossible by any means.

Webcams usually produce two types of video stream, a compressed stream (usually MJPEG unless you have a 2-4k camera in which case it will be h264) and an uncompressed YUV stream. This app can only use the uncompressed stream, both because of how it interfaces to the camera, but also because compression introduces a load of artifacts into the image which will lead to alignment errors.

The problem, most webcams use the USB2.0 standard to connect to your PC. USB2.0 can ship VGA(640x480) uncompressed at 30 fps, moving to FHD(1920x1080) this drops to 5 fps. This means it takes 6 times longer to take a reading, I don't know if this matters much other than slowing the whole process down.

To get 1920x1080 at 30 fps you need a USB3.0 camera (and a PC with USB3.0 ports), these cameras are harder to come by and are more expensive. If you are looking for one then try and check what formats and rates it actually produces before you buy it.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by devmonkey; 13-01-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Joe. I understand now. I think my confusion came from your first reply to me where you said "... so you can either zero both rails to this plane..."

Have you seen this project. Looks like it shares some similarities but for a very different result.

https://hackaday.io/project/21933-op...solution-laser

Dave.

Thank Joe. I understand now. I think my confusion came from your first reply to me where you said "... so you can either zero both rails to this plane..."

Have you seen this project. Looks like it shares some similarities but for a very different result.

https://hackaday.io/project/21933-op...solution-laser

Dave.
    I hadn't seen that particular project, but yes they are using a prism to project a line, However note the accuracy of the prism, it is ~1 arcminute (290um over 1m), this is fairly standard and although readily available unfortunately useless for our purposes, we need <1 arcsecond which are a rather more expensive and difficult to get.

I've been thinking about actually using this system to level the X beams (80mm steel box section) on my new machine, I will outline my current thoughts on the process and welcome your criticism.

I'm thinking the basic process would be:
    1. Deposit a 30-40mm wide strip of machinable rail bed material on top of the beams where the rails will go.
    2. Use the laser system to level a piece of milled aluminium plate with a window cut in it over where the rail will go. The plate could be clamped and brought into plane with the laser using 3 jack screws bearing on the steel beam.
    3. Take a trim router and using the plate as a router guide mill the rail bed down to height. Move the plate along the beam, rinse and repeat, then repeat for the second X beam.

The trim router would be height locked throughout the whole procedure, potentially tape could be used on top of the router guide for a roughing cut, then removed for a finish cut. The laser would also have to remain in location.

For the rail bed I'm thinking of polyurethane metal filler laid to a depth of 1-2mm, hardens quickly and is fairly easy to machine.

I don't have a trim router, although I don't mind picking one up. Does anyone know what sort of Z-play units like the small Bosch or Makita have?

Thoughts on success of this process?

Joe,
    That's beginning to sound as fiddly as using the traditional West Systems 105/209 epoxy leveling method with more potential for errors. Gravity never makes mistakes. What do you see as the advantages to your proposed method?
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Joe,
    That's beginning to sound as fiddly as using the traditional West Systems 105/209 epoxy leveling method with more potential for errors. Gravity never makes mistakes. What do you see as the advantages to your proposed method?
    Hi Kit,

I do have a pack of 105/209 here for this machine, trouble is the temperature in the UK in my unheated uninsulated garage is about 6 degrees, so would have to wait until summer.

I was also hoping we could improve upon the accuracy of epoxy, from the measurements taken in this thread:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8197-...5194#post65194
    and Jonathon's build here:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6484-...8616#post48616
    It appears with epoxy 60um (0.06mm) peak-peak error is possible, I think we can do better than this with the laser and also not have to wait 2 weeks for the epoxy to cure. It might be possible to perform the process I described above in a couple of hours. 0.06mm is 20 pixels on the image sensor to give an idea of comparable resolution.

Cheers, Joe
    Last edited by devmonkey; 14-01-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread Information