. .
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    I recon you're missing an opportunity here Dean. Get Joe in as optical consultant and then get John to pop over from Melbourne and build you an add-on Z-axis assembly that can grind kitchen bench offcuts into surface plates for cash at the weekend when nobody's looking.

Kit

PS Joe is that really a swimming pool in Pommieland?! I hope it's got solar heating. Even in Perth we only used ours for a few months around Christmas.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post

PS Joe is that really a swimming pool in Pommieland?! I hope it's got solar heating. Even in Perth we only used ours for a few months around Christmas.
    Yeh I was sceptical too but the kids and missus were rather insistent ! I used ICF for the walls helps a lot with heat loss, and it uses a 39KW air sourced heat pump which has a COB of about 10-15, you put in 3kw of electricity get out 30kw of heat, that together with global warming lets us keep it at 28 degrees from May-Sept, it has ice on it today though. Biggest electrical expense is the water pump, going to convert this to DC and run it directly off a couple of solar panels next season. Hardest part of making it was wiring together 3km (I kid you not) of rebar before pumping the concrete, I had bloody hands doing that for a fortnight.

Getting a bit off topic but anyone interested in getting a swimming pool, build it your self as I did. It cost less than a decent CNC router, £1k for rebar, £5k concrete, £1k ICF and then £3k for some locally licensed rip off merchant to fit the liner. Local pool company came round to have a look when it was finished and told me they would have charged me £80k for building it.
    Last edited by devmonkey; 19-01-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devmonkey View Post
    Local pool company came round to have a look when it was finished and told me they would have charged me £80k for building it.
    80K for a hole in the ground, they must be on drugs. To be honest, I wouldn't pay 11K either, living in Yorkshire we are surrounded by dozens of old Pit sites and brickworks which all had great big clear blue ponds(well not all clear blue.!), which as kids we lived in. most are still there and know nature reserves or fishing ponds so who needs a heated swimming pool... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    80K for a hole in the ground, they must be on drugs. To be honest, I wouldn't pay 11K either, living in Yorkshire we are surrounded by dozens of old Pit sites and brickworks which all had great big clear blue ponds(well not all clear blue.!), which as kids we lived in. most are still there and know nature reserves or fishing ponds so who needs a heated swimming pool... Lol
    Everything with swimming pool in its name has a 10x price multiplier. The guy to fitted the liner has a 'swimming pool liner vacuum pump' to suck the plastic liner onto the pool shell, this machine cost him £2k. It was a £60 machine mart dust extractor fan like we use in our workshops with a nice stainless steel pool company badge plate riveted over the 'Clarke' label, unbelievable.

a 39KW air sourced heat pump which has a COB of about 10-15, you put in 3kw of electricity get out 30kw of heat
    I would be interested in the make and model of the air sourced heat pump as I thought that they were only about 3-4 times the input.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I would be interested in the make and model of the air sourced heat pump as I thought that they were only about 3-4 times the input.
    Here you go,
    https://www.heatpumps4pools.com/prod...ol-heat-pumps/

"Excellent COPs – from 5.8 to 15.8 due to Inverter technology"

Depends how hot the air is relative to the water temp, I don't think you can expect the same when you use them to heat your house in the winter as some people are starting to do. Mine is the 27kw single phase one, not 39kw as I originally posted, brain glitch. Once up to temp it just runs at tick over for most of the summer and stops all together on hot days.
    Last edited by devmonkey; 19-01-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Back to the job in hand.

I found a rather obvious flaw in my sensor setup for setting my routing jig into plane today. I have the sensor mounted in a nice true cube and this sits on the jig plate. I then alternate its position above the 3 levelling points bringing each up to the correct height with the jack screws. The problem is unless the sensor is positioned in exactly the same location at each point for subsequent rounds of this procedure you will get different readings. This is because the sensor is effectively rotated around the axis of the jack screw and since the plate is not yet planar to the laser the height of the sensor relative to the laser plane changes based on this rotation. This makes it bloody difficult to do, and it is not until the plate is planar with the laser that sensor reads the same height right across the plate.

To put it another way with the sensor sitting on a plate that is not planar with the laser if you rotate the sensor about any point that is not the vertical axis of the sensor chip itself then the reading will change since the height has changed, similarly if you slide the sensor up and down this plate the height reading will change. This means you can trick yourself into thinking the heights are zero'd by moving the sensor, which I noticed I was doing.

There are two options:

1. Machine up a new sensor mount with some mechanism (likely a dowel pin) inline with the vertical axis of the sensor to that can be used to relocate the sensor consistently at 3 points across the plate.
    2. Use 3 sensors simultaneously (would need software change) each fixed to the plate for the levelling operation.
    Last edited by devmonkey; 20-01-2020 at 12:20 AM.

Here you go,

Depends how hot the air is relative to the water temp, I don't think you can expect the same when you use them to heat your house in the winter as some people are starting to do. Mine is the 27kw single phase one, not 39kw as I originally posted, brain glitch. Once up to temp it just runs at tick over for most of the summer and stops all together on hot days.
    Over here it's called 'reverse cycle air conditioning' you can either heat or cool your house depending on the season. Heating is no good when it's so cold the outside unit freezes up but in more temperate climates like most of Australia it works well. If you need air-con for the summer anyway it's a cost effective heating system to install and to run.
    OK, back on track
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thinking out loud, but is there a three-sensor option that works the the other way round? Set up three sensors around the router frame and firmly fix the laser in one position on top of the moving plate. only the plate needs to be moved and adjusted for constant numbers out of the sensors. No trailing wires from the plate to tread on either. This does require the design to allow the laser to stay in place during routing or to be accurately replaced between cuts.

Here you go,

Thanks for the feedback. But it also states this

"Bear in mind though that there is no international standard for stating COPs and therefore each manufacturer will state the maximum COP obtainable for their units under optimum temperature and humidity conditions. In reality you may not therefore always acheive the COP rating stated."

I have been involved in installing a few heat pumps air source and ground source and I believe that they were in the region of about 3-4 to 1. My next door neighbour has had his gas taken out and put in an air source pump. I am very interested to see the results over time.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information