. .
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
    Hi All

Hi Joe, (Devmonkey). I hope all is well with you, I have not seen you around here for a while.

I have upgraded the files stored on GrabCad to version 35. https://grabcad.com/library/machine-...linear-rails-1

This is a major update many of the laser cut joints have been placed.
    It provides a good example of the possibilities made possible by laser cutting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VIEW 3-02-2021 1-56-12 PM.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	29458

Regards
    John

Hi All

The model is coming along nicely, Nearly build able at his stage. Next step is to sort out the computer interface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View 16-02-2021 4-28-24 PM.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	29550

The files have been uploaded to Grabcad
    https://grabcad.com/library/machine-...linear-rails-1

Regards
    John

SOS devmonkey!
    I've got together with John McNamara to implement his great mechanical design. I need to level long lengths of RHS for several router?laser projects. We are ready to cut and assemble the first two units for John and myself.(I live several hundred kilometres away) But... where is devmonkey? We are hoping he could make his great (but to me impenetrable) program output the wire zero to a physical output. We are hoping to use his code for 2 cameras on a rPi which could be used as a reference for a simple mach3 controller routine. If you are out there we would really appreciate your help.
    I have come across a paper (Oleg Borisov) that uses a cheap slotted photodetector to produce some impressive accuracy that I may be able to reproduce, but the webcam seems to me the best option.
    Hope to hear from you devmonkey.

Hi leolfs, do you still need help with the sw?

I am not a great coder but might be able to phone a friend...

Hi Imclaren

Your timing is good Leolfs and I have been discussing getting the project underway, We have already purchased the ball screws and linear rails. the initial design for the laser cut components is complete.

The need is to connect the machine to devmonkeys software he that he outputs to the screen, fairly simple I guess once we get a handle on the code he posted.

Any contribution will be appreciated.

I do hope devmonkey is well, if anyone knows him personally send him my regards.

Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John McNamara View Post
    Hi Imclaren

Your timing is good Leolfs and I have been discussing getting the project underway, We have already purchased the ball screws and linear rails. the initial design for the laser cut components is complete.

The need is to connect the machine to devmonkeys software he that he outputs to the screen, fairly simple I guess once we get a handle on the code he posted.

I do hope devmonkey is well, if anyone knows him personally send him my regards.

Regards
    John

What sort of output would you like?
    I am guessing that the error signal that is shown as a bar on the right is what you are after?
    Are you running this on specific hardware that has a suitable hardware output or would you like a serial data stream from a comm port with an error value?

What sort of input does your motor controller want? step / dir or error signal?

Quote Originally Posted by John McNamara View Post
    Hi Imclaren

Regards
    John
    Hi John,

Yes all good here thanks just very busy on other projects and work.

On getting the error signal out of the java app and into your hardware there are two choices,
    1. Integrate a serial library,
    2. Make a small change to the app to print the error to standard out and then pipe this directly into a serial comm port.

I don't really have time to do this or test it right now but someone else could have a go, (2) is much easier if you don't want to mess about with the code too much, there is a tutorial on windows comm port piping here:
    https://batchloaf.wordpress.com/2013...rt-in-windows/

Cheers, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by devmonkey View Post
    Hi John,

Yes all good here thanks just very busy on other projects and work.

On getting the error signal out of the java app and into your hardware there are two choices,
    1. Integrate a serial library,
    2. Make a small change to the app to print the error to standard out and then pipe this directly into a serial comm port.

I don't really have time to do this or test it right now but someone else could have a go, (2) is much easier if you don't want to mess about with the code too much, there is a tutorial on windows comm port piping here:
    https://batchloaf.wordpress.com/2013...rt-in-windows/

Cheers, Joe
    Thanks devmonkey, I hadn't thought of the standard out, I will give it a go.

btw, if you have the code you compiled to run on linux / raspberry pi that might help for the next chapter.

regards

Lee

Hi Joe

Firstly I am very glad to hear you are fit and well in these difficult times.

Thanks for the heads up on using standard IO as a way of getting the data out.
    Soon it will be time to start building a machine to test all the hard work done by many hands.

Regards
    John

Hi everyone,

Just read this thread from beginning to end nonstop... what a clever way to use cheap, easily obtainable parts to achieve such precise measurements. I will definitely be trying the wire app method when it comes time to setup my machine. Thank you for sharing all your hard work.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread Information