. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1977 View Post
    Yes, i got the IP-M controller.
    Are you saying that i can use one sensor /axis that doubles as limit switch and homing switch or do i need one homing sensor + one limit switch /axis?
    Btw im using a driver by the name 2HSS86H.
    You can use one sensor on the moving part and two targets, one at each end. In normal operation, this acts as the limit switch but during homing, Mach3 and the IP-M know that it is being used for homing and it does not act as a limit switch. As soon as the homing operation is complete, the switch becomes a limit switch again.

I use Mach3 and IP-M. I use a proximity switch at each end (so two swtiches on X, two on Y, and one on Z as it is difficult to use a limit switch for the bottom of Z travel). It is easy to wire the switches on one axis in series so that upper and lower limit switches are connected to one IP-M input. This means that you can home X and Y at the same time. My machine is configured to home Z first (to get the spindle to the highest point to clear anything on the machine), then X and Y together. This saves a little bit of time on a bigger machine and works well.

If you just use one sensor per axis with a target at each end, then you can still wire each sensor to a separate IP-M input channel, obviously, and get the advantage of homing two axes at the same time.

I had one small problem with my Z axis homing. As I said, my machine first homes Z, then the other two axes. However, these proximity switches sometimes have their on and off trigger points very close together. What this meant was that when my Z axis was homed, the switch was so close to the target that a tiny amount of vibration could cause the switch to trigger accidentally and this often happened while X and Y were moving. The answer is to configure Mach3 so that the home position is very slightly offset from the actual switching position - I use about 1mm. This avoids accidental triggering.
    Last edited by Neale; 03-09-2019 at 11:39 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Ok i see, thanks... It would be interesting to see how you put the switch on Z, do you have any pics that you would like to share?
    To use one sensor and two targets... Arent the sensor pointing towards one of them, how can you make it work in two directions?
    Would you recommend using one or two per axis? Obviously you choose two, but why?

To use one sensor and two targets... Arent the sensor pointing towards one of them, how can you make it work in two directions?
    Imagine the sensor is mounted to the gantry and pointing down. It moves sideways over the target, not directly towards it. At some point when it is directly overhead it will trigger and stop the axis. If there is a fault it will just glide on past without damage until the gantry hits the hard stop further along.
    When it is moving the other way, again it is looking down and will eventually glide over the target at the other end which will trigger the axis to stop. So one sensor, two targets.

It has been shown to be just as effective using a parallel approach as a direct approach. As long the target gets within 4mm (or whatever the rating is) it will trigger no matter how it got there.
    Last edited by routercnc; 03-09-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

As you are using CSMIO, as Paulus mentioned, this will take the prox sensor 24V directly. It has taken me a while to find my original drawing but for anyone with a cheap 5V BoB this is what I had to do to get it work. Without the diodes it was very unreliable at triggering. With the diodes it is 100%. Maybe these should be fast acting types, but mine were regular types and the homing is very repeatable. Sorry for the side track on the OP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prox_24V_to_5V_using 10K pullup and diode.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	26395

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Imagine the sensor is mounted to the gantry and pointing down. It moves sideways over the target, not directly towards it. At some point when it is directly overhead it will trigger and stop the axis. If there is a fault it will just glide on past without damage until the gantry hits the hard stop further along.
    When it is moving the other way, again it is looking down and will eventually glide over the target at the other end which will trigger the axis to stop. So one sensor, two targets.

It has been shown to be just as effective using a parallel approach as a direct approach. As long the target gets within 4mm (or whatever the rating is) it will trigger no matter how it got there.
    Offcourse, thats how its done, thanks!
    Well then i have a pretty good idea how to do this for X and for Y.
    Im not really sure about Z yet. How do you put the "down" limit for the Z axis?
    Last edited by JW1977; 04-09-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Offcourse, thats how its done, thanks!
    Well then i have a pretty good idea how to do this for X and for Y.
    Im not really sure about Z yet. How do you put the "down" limit for the Z axis?
    Lots of people don’t have one since the height of the workpiece and stick out of the tool are variable so there is no obvious place to put it unless you set it up in a variable position to suit each job
    Last edited by routercnc; 04-09-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Lots of people don’t have one since the height of the workpiece and stick out of the tool are variable so there is no obvious place to put it unless you set it up in a variable position to suit each job
    I'm planning on putting mine so that the ballnut doesn't impact the BK/BF mount, and so that the carriages don't fall off the linear rails.

As usual
    the devil is going to be in the detail
    when looking for the solution to problems connecting limit switches to breakout boards
    for instance the LJ12A3_4_Z_BX proximity switch does not have the simple open collector NPN transistor output you may expect going by some adverts and data sheets
    It has a hidden 10K pull up resistor connecting the output to the positive supply !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LJ12A3_4_Z_BX Data Sheet.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	26401

with ref to the diagram in post 24

Name:	prox_24V_to_5V.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	26400
    adding the diodes works with the usual TTL inputs found on most BOB's
    that requires the switch to either ground the input or go open circuit

some Chinese BOB's have opto isolated inputs with a PC817 input LED and current limiting resistor connected to +10V

the Geckodrive G540 has its opto isolator connected to +12V and has a 2K2 current limiting resistor

Name:	G540 inputs.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	26398

so you don't always see 5V across the BOB's open circuit input and ground terminals !

BOB's like CNC4PC's C31 need a positive 24V input
    so if you are using proximity switches you need one with a PNP output
    to pull the BOB's input up to the positive supply

many Chinese BOB inputs connect to either a 74HC14 or 72HC245 logic
    IC input
    (see the upper left hand corner and centre of this diagram for the Chinese BOB input
    Lower left hand corner for the C31 )

Name:	proximity switch , C31 and chinese bob.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	26403

( I prefer N/C switches because a broken wire will be trip the axis limit
    with N/O switches a broken wire will not be detected )

John
    Last edited by john swift; 04-09-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: correct a diagram

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john swift For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Well written John 👍
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

As per reply #17 to this thread:

John, this topic was discussed (with the internal circuit you reprint) in 2016, till I got sick of it. The LJ12A3etc is designed for industrial 24v control sensing, but it works equally well switching amateur 5v (without diodes) if your BoB pulls the pin to logic 1 at 5v. The supply voltage to the device electronics has to be min 10v max 36, it will work below 10v, but not reliably, presumably because the oscillator duzzn't buzz. It has an internal 10k, but even so, the thing operates for practical purposes, just as if it is a NO relay on the blue and black wires. I happily use them with a 12v supply with the black wire connected directly to the BoB input.

Peace and Love

Rob-T

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information