. .
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    The Syil X4s were usually fitted with a Tonman BoB, which I also had on my machine. I gave up with the charge pump. It never worked however I set the jumpers and Mach3. Then the BoB just failed for no apparent reason and I had to replace the BoB and the drivers as the drivers were connected by a ribbon cable. All this is in my post http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7658-...down-like-this.

The point is that if you have the Tonman BoB, you might as well bite the bullet and put in a new BoB and drivers.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,911. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    You said in your first post that
    you have:
    -replaced the pc (was on it way out anyway)
    -checked the ports configured

Did you actually checked that the Port Address of your new pc parallel port matches the one you set in Mach3 (0x378)?
    What OS does the new PC run?

Anything newer than Win7, (aka 8.x or 10), and anything 64bit, won't work with the parallel port.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    You said in your first post that
    you have:
    -replaced the pc (was on it way out anyway)
    -checked the ports configured

Did you actually checked that the Port Address of your new pc parallel port matches the one you set in Mach3 (0x378)?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	660.0 KB 
ID:	26296

Is that correct or should it be the ‘com1’ address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    What OS does the new PC run?

Anything newer than Win7, (aka 8.x or 10), and anything 64bit, won't work with the parallel port.
    Windows XP 32

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Don't know if this as been asked but did you install Mach3 and the parallel port driver or just copy across your old Mach3 folder.?
    I bought the pc off a computer guy, he set it up with Mach 3 before giving it to me so I’m unsure - in saying that Mach3 shows up in the device manager if that’s an indication of the driver being installed- I mite reinstall Mach 3 just to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    The Syil X4s were usually fitted with a Tonman BoB, which I also had on my machine. I gave up with the charge pump. It never worked however I set the jumpers and Mach3. Then the BoB just failed for no apparent reason and I had to replace the BoB and the drivers as the drivers were connected by a ribbon cable. All this is in my post http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7658-...down-like-this.

The point is that if you have the Tonman BoB, you might as well bite the bullet and put in a new BoB and drivers.
    I’ll read your post later today, any recommendations on what to replace it with?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Don't know if this as been asked but did you install Mach3 and the parallel port driver or just copy across your old Mach3 folder.?
    Wow. Jazz may have just jumped back in from obscurity to save the day.

OP/Mitch. For information. I was playing this morning with an old XP machine that I'd been previously using with Mach3 and an ethernet motion controller. I was having exactly the behaviour that you described during my diatribe yesterday - no response from Mach3 to any of the parallel port settings. Using both a DMM and oscilloscope I could get no joy from the parallel port, even though Mach3 was configured for parallel port interface.

I've now re-installed Mach3, ensuring that I included the parallel port driver. Immediately there's life in the system. I can measure the X-DIR signal alternating between 0 and 3.3V (note, not 5V.... I'd turned the printer port from Bi-Directional to EPP mode in the computer BIOS, in doing so the signal level on the parallel port changed from 5V logic to 3.3V logic).

Ignoring the e-stop (as OP described - it can't be obviously disabled - but you can set the port# to 0 which looks to effectively disable it) - I can short pin 17 to pin 11 (configure that for e.g. X-Home) and confirm on diagnostic page that I can toggle this with left/right control.

To summarise - even though the parallel port may be selected within Mach3, unless you install the parallel port driver - my experience is that you're on a hiding to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Wow. Jazz may have just jumped back in from obscurity to save the day.

OP/Mitch. For information. I was playing this morning with an old XP machine that I'd been previously using with Mach3 and an ethernet motion controller. I was having exactly the behaviour that you described during my diatribe yesterday - no response from Mach3 to any of the parallel port settings. Using both a DMM and oscilloscope I could get no joy from the parallel port, even though Mach3 was configured for parallel port interface.

I've now re-installed Mach3, ensuring that I included the parallel port driver. Immediately there's life in the system. I can measure the X-DIR signal alternating between 0 and 3.3V (note, not 5V.... I'd turned the printer port from Bi-Directional to EPP mode in the computer BIOS, in doing so the signal level on the parallel port changed from 5V logic to 3.3V logic).

Ignoring the e-stop (as OP described - it can't be obviously disabled - but you can set the port# to 0 which looks to effectively disable it) - I can short pin 17 to pin 11 (configure that for e.g. X-Home) and confirm on diagnostic page that I can toggle this with left/right control.

To summarise - even though the parallel port may be selected within Mach3, unless you install the parallel port driver - my experience is that you're on a hiding to nothing.
    So I uninstalled then reinstalled Mach 3 and installed the parallel driver.

When I started Mach 3 and pressed the rest button - the warning appeared that basically says you estop is on - I pressed ok then pressed the reset button again and the warning appeared again.
    I then went into ports and pins and and changed the estop from active low.
    Then pressed reset again and no warning appeared however the machine still has no life nor does estop in the diagnostics screen

Let's test that the inputs into the parallel port are being read correctly by Mach3.

Use a jumper to short from pin 25 (GND) to pin 10 - on the PC's parallel port...

Name:	IMG_2390.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	26297

On the diagnostic page...

Name:	IMG_2391.jpeg 
Views:	252 
Size:	463.3 KB 
ID:	26298

Move to 25->11

Name:	IMG_2392.jpeg 
Views:	195 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	26299

25->12:-

Name:	IMG_2393.jpeg 
Views:	199 
Size:	393.7 KB 
ID:	26300

25->13:-

Name:	IMG_2394.jpeg 
Views:	186 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	26301

25->15 (NOTE: skip 14 - that's an output!, not input):-

Name:	IMG_2395.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	26302

Confirm that behaviour then we're confident that the parallel port inputs are able to be monitored by Mach3.

If that works, short the X-DIR pin to one of the inputs, for example I shorted 17 to 13...

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	26303

Now, by using the cursor left/right and verifying the change in the "X Pos" on the diagnostic screen, I can toggle the state of the pin 13 LED. This verifies that the Mach3 X-Axis Direction output can be set correctly by Mach3. Note, I'm ignoring the X-Step signal because this is a very short duration pulse that won't be shown on the LED status on the diagnostic page.

Ignoring the Step signal - which is critical to this, but noting the difficulty in measuring it. If the X-DIR signal and X-Step signal work then the X-Axis of the machine when plugged in should work and should be under user control with the Cursor Keys. If not, then we move to the Syil.
    Last edited by Doddy; 25-08-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information