Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Let's test that the inputs into the parallel port are being read correctly by Mach3.

    Use a jumper to short from pin 25 (GND) to pin 10 - on the PC's parallel port...

    Attachment 26297

    On the diagnostic page...

    Attachment 26298

    Move to 25->11

    Attachment 26299

    25->12:-

    Attachment 26300

    25->13:-

    Attachment 26301

    25->15 (NOTE: skip 14 - that's an output!, not input):-

    Attachment 26302

    Confirm that behaviour then we're confident that the parallel port inputs are able to be monitored by Mach3.
    Normal
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	26308

    10
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	26309

    11
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	341.9 KB 
ID:	26310

    12
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	26311

    13
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	26312

    15
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	368.0 KB 
ID:	26313


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    If that works, short the X-DIR pin to one of the inputs, for example I shorted 17 to 13...

    Attachment 26303

    Now, by using the cursor left/right and verifying the change in the "X Pos" on the diagnostic screen, I can toggle the state of the pin 13 LED. This verifies that the Mach3 X-Axis Direction output can be set correctly by Mach3. Note, I'm ignoring the X-Step signal because this is a very short duration pulse that won't be shown on the LED status on the diagnostic page.

    Ignoring the Step signal - which is critical to this, but noting the difficulty in measuring it. If the X-DIR signal and X-Step signal work then the X-Axis of the machine when plugged in should work and should be under user control with the Cursor Keys. If not, then we move to the Syil.
    The Ďm2Homeí led turns on and off


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #63
    Doddy's Avatar
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing NEW MEMBER: Newbie from NZ Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 463. Received thanks 83 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Right. I'm reasonably happy that the PC/Mach3/Parallel Port is working at least in part. Of interest, we know that all the inputs are working and at least the X-DIR output.

    With the machine connected, earlier, you suggested (or I've interpreted) that the E-STOP control had no effect on Mach3. Is this still the case? (check all wiring is present to the BOB and that the supplies are on). Remember, the E-Stop is a latching switch - typically you press to actuate and have to twist to release (apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs). By pressing/releasing the E-Stop before I understood that there was no controlled setting of the E-Stop signal within Mach3, and that the signal was stuck either ON or OFF, depending on the active low/high setting within Mach3?

    Also, from previous results presented here, you say that the E-Stop control results in the change in state on pin 11 on the Syil DB25 connector alternating from 0V to 1V. In any logic system from 3.3V upwards, that's all logic '0' level.

    From previous results presented here, you say that measuring the E-Stop control INPUT to the breakout board switches between 0V and 12V depending upon the switch position. So the control works.

    There's one conclusion from this - the BOB is not behaving as expected. The signal path from the E-STOP input (from the switch) to the corresponding E-STOP output (to the PC) is not operating as expected. We're now down to checking that the power to the BOB is correct (and you've confirmed that the LEDs LED1/LED2 are illuminated - which makes me believe the power is on the board). What remains is any ancillary controls peculiar to this board or that the board is defective. Or I've missed something.

    I'm going to have a ponder (aka wife's demanding lunch).

  4. #64
    Doddy's Avatar
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing NEW MEMBER: Newbie from NZ Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 463. Received thanks 83 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Now I'm confused. Have a look at the electrical schematic here (Syil X4)

    https://www.peu.net/syil/X4_User_Manual.pdf

    If the schematic is to be believed, the E-Stop button will only isolate the power to the BOB when active, with the E-Stop input to the BOB wired to ground. Is this true of the actual machine wiring? (I think the OP suggested otherwise).

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Now I'm confused. Have a look at the electrical schematic here (Syil X4)

    https://www.peu.net/syil/X4_User_Manual.pdf

    If the schematic is to be believed, the E-Stop button will only isolate the power to the BOB when active, with the E-Stop input to the BOB wired to ground. Is this true of the actual machine wiring? (I think the OP suggested otherwise).
    Iím not sure if this is anything but yes the estop is wired directly to the bob - however
    There are 2 wires that run from the bob to estop -half way along they are inserted into a Ďplugí then continue onto the estop.
    The plug is male and there is its female companion vacant nearby on another board - is this a coincidence or should it be plugged in?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	26314

    So white and red go to bob and the red and blue go to estop button


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IhateDoug; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:22 PM.

  6. #66
    Ok just read thru this thread and the fact it was working before moving and no changes made other than new PC then logic dictates the fault is with the PC and the PP port or PP driver. It's certainly the first link in chain that needs to eliminated.
    Suggest you go back to basics and start at beginning.
    Also some PC's use parallel port cards that are not compatible or work on different address to what's set in mach. Some also only output 3.3v and your BOB could require 5v.

    So firstly are you using the PP cable which ran the machine before.? If you have replaced the pp cable it must be a straight thru cable (null modem), pp printer cables are often not and cross over pins so cannot be used.

    Next I'd delete and reinstall mach3 and the PP driver with new download using latest driver to elimimate any chance of software corruption. Write down the settings you know worked before deleting.
    Re-enter settings in new mach install, don't use the old xml as it could be corrupted.

    After this then you can move onto the electrical side. To be honest if not PP Issue then I'd just buy a cheap £5 BOB. This instantly tells you if old one is the issue.


    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  7. #67
    Doddy's Avatar
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing NEW MEMBER: Newbie from NZ Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 463. Received thanks 83 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    As I read it, the PC replacement was after the machine was moved and failed. There's a chance something was damaged, disconnected or shorted during the move. Right now with the images I'm not convinced this isn't a FrankenSyil machine.

    OP: Are you the first owner of this?

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok just read thru this thread and the fact it was working before moving and no changes made other than new PC then logic dictates the fault is with the PC and the PP port or PP driver. It's certainly the first link in chain that needs to eliminated.
    Suggest you go back to basics and start at beginning.
    Also some PC's use parallel port cards that are not compatible or work on different address to what's set in mach. Some also only output 3.3v and your BOB could require 5v.

    So firstly are you using the PP cable which ran the machine before.? If you have replaced the pp cable it must be a straight thru cable (null modem), pp printer cables are often not and cross over pins so cannot be used.

    Next I'd delete and reinstall mach3 and the PP driver with new download using latest driver to elimimate any chance of software corruption. Write down the settings you know worked before deleting.
    Re-enter settings in new mach install, don't use the old xml as it could be corrupted.

    After this then you can move onto the electrical side. To be honest if not PP Issue then I'd just buy a cheap £5 BOB. This instantly tells you if old one is the issue.


    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I got the new pc as I thought it mite have been a pc issue - same problem with the original pc.

    Have reinstalled Mach3 with driver - Iíll try again + entering settings not XML file.

    Also just tried the original cable and no change.

    Iíll order a bob now

  9. #69
    Doddy's Avatar
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing NEW MEMBER: Newbie from NZ Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 463. Received thanks 83 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by IhateDoug View Post
    I’m not sure if this is anything but yes the estop is wired directly to the bob - however
    There are 2 wires that run from the bob to estop -half way along they are inserted into a ‘plug’ then continue onto the estop.
    The plug is male and there is its female companion vacant nearby on another board - is this a coincidence or should it be plugged in?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	26314

    So white and red go to bob and the red and blue go to estop button


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This worries me a bit. I would NOT plug the connector into the board - from the schematic and the legends on the board I do think that the board terminal is carrying 24VAC for the E-Stop relay, plugging it in could throw 24VAC into the BOB input channels. You've already established that power is present on the BOB which means that the schematic and the E-Stop isolation of the BOB isn't effective (wired).

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    As I read it, the PC replacement was after the machine was moved and failed. There's a chance something was damaged, disconnected or shorted during the move. Right now with the images I'm not convinced this isn't a FrankenSyil machine.

    OP: Are you the first owner of this?
    Not, I bought it second hand.

    Also I just read the thread that was linked above and seems itís not a simple task to replace the bob, they donít make the one I have anymore ?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7658-...down-like-this


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IhateDoug; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:51 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. syil x4
    By geoff in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-11-2016, 06:35 PM
  2. FOR SALE: For Sale Syil X7 plus CNC Milling machine
    By dpcwright in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-09-2015, 01:27 PM
  3. Syil x4 or x5 as CAD/CAM training 4 axis CNC machine ???
    By towdi.arek in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-07-2013, 06:26 AM
  4. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 31-01-2013, 04:01 AM
  5. thinking about this Syil X5plus CNC Milling Machine with 4th Axis
    By Dellboy in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-04-2012, 04:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •