. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm contemplating getting 3 of these kits
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/1-...or-driver.html
    I've got parts for an unregulated power supply 36 volt 500va toroidial transformer which should give me just over 50 volts (36x1.4) am I pushing my luck as the listed voltage on this kit is 36-48volts ? Or should I use a lower power transformer ? or can I reduce the voltage output somehow ?
    Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    Last edited by the great waldo; 19-09-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes, you could be pushing your luck, depending on the robustness of the driver module . 36V x root 2 =50.9V peak, subtract 1.6V for rectifier losses and you'll get a peak on-load voltage of 49.3V. But due to the regulation factor of the transformer, when you're not pulling much power it will rise by probably 5% = 51.8V. And that's at nominal mains, remember it can vary by up to 10% (though I've never seen it up by more than 6% here), so taking that figure you could land up with 55V off-load, high mains. I anticipated the same problem on my setup (albeit with a 35V transformer which makes things a tad better) so have designed a regulator circuit which limits the voltage to slightly over 49V. I haven't fully tested it yet, but will let you know how it works once I've given it a thorough work out.
    Last edited by Voicecoil; 19-09-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    I'm contemplating getting 3 of these kits
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/1-...or-driver.html
    I've got parts for an unregulated power supply 36 volt 500va toroidial transformer which should give me just over 50 volts (36x1.4) am I pushing my luck as the listed voltage on this kit is 36-48volts ? Or should I use a lower power transformer ? or can I reduce the voltage output somehow ?
    Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    I'd be a bit iffy.
    Lower the power.
    https://electro-dan.co.uk/electronics/wiringtrans.aspx
    Personally I'd get a set with a 80VAC capable driver and just series wire a 35 to 40v toroidal.
    I've seen motors that have the same or higher torque claiming only 2.2mh inductance.

Hi Voicecoil
    If you get your voltage dropper tested I would be grateful to see the circuit.
    Cheers.
    Andrew

Sure thing. BTW, it also does a nice soft start to charge up the reservoir caps gently without pulling 60+ amps on switch on.

What's the primary coil rating of the toroidal? If 220V then you might be well over the design limit of 48V with a 240V supply.

Personally, if the rectified voltage was 49-50V I probably wouldn't lose sleep over using them myself, but would never design around this for a third party.
    Last edited by Doddy; 19-09-2019 at 05:59 PM.

I've used and killed these drives.! . . They don't tolerate any overvoltage. 51V will 100% Kill them and with Back EMf and/or Mains fluctuations you will hit 51V with 36V primary. I Wouldn't go much above 30Vdc with Prime and to be honest you won't notice any difference the few volts gives you.

Hi Jazz
    I'm always glad to hear of someones own experience of an electronic piece of equipment. My cnc machine is going to be mainly used for carving wood, guitar making etc. Is the improvement in a closed loop system worth the upgrade? I've got the parts Leadshine MX3660 , steppers are https://www.upload.sorotec.de/doku/m...T6018L3008.pdf and an AXBB-e controller. If it's worth it in performance I would upgrade as I haven't put the machine together yet and the time saved as opposed to removing the motors and upgrading later would be worth doing it now rather than later.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Jazz
    No need to reply on this. I've just checked out some of your previous posts, which lets me think that staying with what I have will be good enough for what I need.

Cheers

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    I'm always glad to hear of someones own experience of an electronic piece of equipment. My cnc machine is going to be mainly used for carving wood, guitar making etc. Is the improvement in a closed loop system worth the upgrade?
    Yes, there is a difference compared to a standard stepper, esp when doing 3D type work with lots of fast small movements as the closed-loop system ensures position with fast direction changes.

I've used about 12 sets now of closed-loop systems from different manufacturers and varying sizes from 2Nm nema23 to 12Nm nema 34 and all of them perform better than standard stepper system. Basicly just a little bit stronger, little smoother and in general feel more reliable.

However,Like wise I've built Dozens of machines using standard stepper systems without any problems. So if you have sized the motors/drives/voltage correctly for the size of your machine and left enough power for when running at higher feeds then you won't have issues.
    Personaly because you already have the parts, provided they are sized correctly then I wouldn't have any qualms using them at all.

If you were buying from scratch then I'd Say get Closed-loop everytime because the difference is price isn't so great now and the extra cost is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information