. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    VHF-FM is likely to be more interference free than MW-AM and DAB better again. Having spent 21 years as a BBC Transmitter Engineer before moving down under I'd also like you to be able to listen to the radio interference free whilst you're working.

Kit
    After 21 years as a T-E. I'd have thought you had had enough of radio interference and not needed to listen to it at all, even though it is free !

Rob-T

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    VHF-FM is likely to be more interference free than MW-AM and DAB better again. Having spent 21 years as a BBC Transmitter Engineer before moving down under I'd also like you to be able to listen to the radio interference free whilst you're working.

Kit
    That's entirely logical, but it's perfectly possible to knock out VHF-FM. A few years back I was designing a class D (PWM) audio power amplifier which ran on similar power rails to an 80V stepper driver and with a not dissimilar switching frequency (about 300KHz IIRC). In spite of the pretty massive LC output filter, with a lead running to the loudspeaker consisting of a couple of pieces of 1.5mm2 twisted together it completely obliterated VHF reception in the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    After 21 years as a T-E. I'd have thought you had had enough of radio interference and not needed to listen to it at all, even though it is free !

Rob-T
    One of the problems of being an engineer in that field is you can be more aware of the technical quality than the program content.
    I was very much a talk radio man, R4 and the World Service were my favourites, but rarely watched television. I spent the last 16 of those years as a lecturer at the BBC's technical training school and was known for saying of TV "I teach people how it works, I'm not obliged to watch it". I usualy had (still have) no idea who people were talking about when discussing programmes. Unless it was David Attenbourough of course.

Voicecoil,
    If you're going to be THAT determined even the power of Auntie will have to give in.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

It was entirely unintentional, and indeed a problem that took quite a bit of shielding (including a screened speaker lead!) to solve. So were you at Wood Norton then? A couple of colleagues of mine went through courses there, just the best training on the planet at the time: shutting it down/farming it off was probably the worst thing the BBC has done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information