. .

Thread: 4x4 cnc router

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm not sure exactly how much help you need, but I'll try to be as clear as possible, and it may be a little basic.

The Gecko controller will have a minimum of 3 wires going to the breakout box - unfortunately, it's a little unclear from the picture, but I did find this site, where they have a PDF of the wiring diagram.

The three wires you need for each of the Gecko drive units are:

- Ground
    - Step direction
    - Step clock

These will need to go to the Gecko's "COMMON", "DIR" and "STEP" pins respectively. The jumper towards the middle of the board (labeled "COM TERMINALS" in the PDF) will need to be set to position 2-3 (rather than 1-2), because this will put the COM terminals to GROUND, rather than +5v.

Look at the bottom of the board in the PDF, which is the top as you've taken the picture, for which is which - so, for the X-axis, you would use:

"2 X Step" -> "STEP"
    "COM" -> "COMMON"
    "3 X Dir" -> "DIR"

Y-axis:

"4 Y Step" -> "STEP"
    "COM" -> "COMMON"
    "5 Y Dir" -> "DIR"

I'll leave the other axes for you to work out

The "DISABLE" pin can also come from the breakout board, normally a charge pump circuit - although I can't see an output for that in the PDF.

You'll need a resistor across the "CURRENT SET" pins - the top-right corner of the Gecko box shows what you'll need (which will need to be matched to the motor you're using).

The power supply should have two wires coming from that - these will need to go to the Gecko's left hand connectors (as you've pictured them). Make sure that the PSU ground goes to the "POWER GROUND" pin, and the PSU + supply to the "+18 TO 80 VDC" pin.

Now, the motor - there's 3 basic ways in which you can wire it up. Most of the time, you want both power and torque, so you'd use a parallel connection (parallel will run the hottest).

The colour of the wires is important, as they will denote which phase pin they need to go to. I think that most wire colours do follow the same standard, but I can't guarantee this. Each wire is used once, and are connected to another wire. Edited to add - I've just seen a better picture of the motor in the other thread (and the fact that it's from Zapp, which is where I got mine) - and this should be the same.

The way I've wired mine up is:

Yellow wire and black wire -> Phase A
    Blue wire and red wire -> Phase A'
    Orange wire and green wire -> Phase B
    Brown wire and white wire -> Phase B'

(I've used Phase A' to indicate the Phase A with the bar above it).

I took a picture of it while I was building my machine. The connector is arranged A, A', B, B' (from left to right).

I think that should hopefully cover the basics. There are things I've omitted (such as power to the breakout board, and also power to the PSU), but they shouldn't be too difficult.
    Last edited by tribbles; 10-10-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Hello

thank you so much! i really didn't think anyone would help :nope:
    i was also wondering what type of slow blow fuse (amp) and holder i should use on the power side before the drivers ?

Thread Information