. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    If you're looking to put Linux on a thin client PC, then there's quite a bit of useful info. here:
    https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/
    ... just wish I had the time to properly learn a new OS

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    ... just wish I had the time to properly learn a new OS
    Just wish I had the available memory to properly learn ANY OS!

Glad you got your thread back, but it's been a very informative exchange.

Kit
    Last edited by Kitwn; 13-10-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post

That would be cool, thanks.
    Dammit!, the box is literally straight from a (corporate) install - it's trying to logon to their CE network servers, prompting for login/password credentials. I don't think I'm going to be able to pull anything together re. a Win7CE install.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Dammit!, the box is literally straight from a (corporate) install - it's trying to logon to their CE network servers, prompting for login/password credentials. I don't think I'm going to be able to pull anything together re. a Win7CE install.
    Does it seem to be running Windoze? if so you might be get round it by logging in as administrator - a quick google should pull up the default password. What you've got seems to be fairly common, there's info. out there for how to get round it and put on a new OS.

I can get a new OS on okay, it's trialling UCCNC on W7CE (native install) that's problematic

Experience so far, dry-fitting a LinuxCNC install. Wheezy (Debian 7 based) has the latency test spiking around 130us, and Stetch (Debian 9) around 180us. Looking at the graphs these are frequent large spikes (circa 1-second, short duration - interrupts? but seemingly random in nature) against a baseline of around 20us. I've looked at SMI and power management - no gains there, and similarly with disconnecting Ethernet and WiFi. Under Wheezy I couldn't get WiFi operation (and it's too archaic to be a comfortable installation). Upgraded 4GB ram to 8GB ram under Stretch with no improvement (though general usage feels better).

Beautiful, small form-factor - the T610Plus is a nice, silent and cool running PC (the fan on a Raspberry Pi 4 drowns out the HP), good connectivity, but not good real-time performance out-of-the-box.

Having scrimped on this, I've now had to spend £300 on a 7176e card to support (though that's as much for the I/O that I want for MPGs and spindle encoders) - I don't think there was much mileage in using the PP for this. Of course, for a linux buff, if you can set core-affinities to OS/interrupts onto one core and LinuxCNC onto the second - your results may vary.
    Last edited by Doddy; 26-10-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Experience so far, dry-fitting a LinuxCNC install. Wheezy
    I think Stretch is the preferred version for Mesa cards.

http://linuxcnc.org/downloads/
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Clive - Cheers - clearly I shouldn't write early in the morning - I meant Stretch (not Squeeze) - I've amended the post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Of course, for a linux buff, if you can set core-affinities to OS/interrupts onto one core and LinuxCNC onto the second - your results may vary.
    That's cool, didn't realise you could do stuff like that.

Okay, perhaps a little premature but this is the first day that I've had a controller wired-up (standalone stepper), the Mesa 7i76E and the thin-client (T610 plus, 8GB memory).

I knew the latency test was a bit mheh!, averaging around 200us but figured having an Ethernet motion controller would offset that. Prior to this I'd been doing all the Debian updates, updates to non-free graphic drivers, increasing system memory, and following as many (diverse!) opinions on tuning a LinuxCNC installation as I could as well as disabling all power-management under the BIOS. Now, this was the first time I've had to configure an interface (previously ran under the simulation mode for familiarisation), but in a nut-shell... it's pants! Frequent error messages through through what appears to be loss of ethernet packets. I've tried point-to-point as well as through a standalone switch - I can run from seconds to minutes, but ultimately it fails.

Still treading carefully on new territory for me, I've reconfigured an old XP box (Viglen Genie - great little boxes) previously used for Mach/PP/Ethernet to LinuxCNC (latest, and same install as the thin client). 40 minutes later I've got rock-solid performance and latency in the 3-6us range.

Perhaps will a bit of tlc the thin client is a possibility, but facing a number of learning curves at this time I'm taking it off the table for now and sticking with a standard machine, which, thinking about it, cost less than the thin client and is only marginally larger.

Your experience may vary.

EDIT:

For S&Gs, if I get time this afternoon I might try walking the path of getting LinuxCNC onto a RaspPi4 that's otherwise collecting dust.
    Last edited by Doddy; 03-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information