Hi,

I am a new member in the NE of England and new to CNC. I am a chemist by profession and we regularly make carbon fiber composite panels, my focus is very much on the resin chemistry, varying it to change the mechanical properties. I've finally convinced my colleagues that we should buy a CNC to divide up our panels into smaller pieces that we can fit into mechanical testing machines. Currently we make panels about 90 x 90 cm.

I am completely new to CNC, but I am currently looking at what is available. Primarily we'll need to be able to cut through carbon fiber epoxy to create dog bone and rectangular shapes (circa 8cm x 1 cm). Many of my colleagues are skeptical having in the past paid bottom dollar (<£2000) and found them to just tear up the carbon fibres so much that the cut pieces are useless (jagged edges). Browsing this forum I am starting to realize how much there is to this (e.g. calculating the CNC stiffness?).

If anyone can recommend any books, websites or point me to the correct threads I'd appreciate it. Also if anyone has any advice on what I should be looking for in terms of CNC specifications for this application it would be really helpful. I am hoping we can get what I need for £10-15k.

Dave