. .
    Lives in Timisoara, Romania. Last Activity: 4 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    Hello,

I have an Optimum MH25 milling machine which I plan to convert to CNC in the near future.

There seems to be very little information on the web about this mill.

Are there any other forum members who own this mill? I would love to hear some opinions about this machine and perhaps even see some conversions for it.

Cheers,
    Andrei

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hi Andrei, welcome to the forum!

Have a look at this topic OPTIMUM Optimill VMCs? and post a message to JOGARA who has seen some of these mill's converted already and maybe he will show you where.

.Me

Lives in Timisoara, Romania. Last Activity: 4 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    Hi Lee,

I already know that particular thread.

Unfortunately it is discussing VMCs, not benchtop mills.

I also know the Optimum brand is quite popular, especially in europe. But all threads are focused on the garden variety BF20 and BF30 machines (no disrespect intended).

The machine I am inquiring about does not seem to be popular and I am just trying to understand why.

Since I plan to CNC it I am trying to find out how others have done it and get some inspiration. While I consider the conversion as not that technically challenging, I'm not that keen on reinventing the wheel.

Thank you,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by DLF View Post
    Unfortunately it is discussing VMCs, not benchtop mills.

Doh my mistake, I spoke to Jogara and he said he hasn't touched one of their machines let alone seen one in the flesh, I must have misunderstood what he said in the other thread.

Having had a quick look around I can see what you mean about the smaller type being more popular, maybe your going to be the first person to actually convert an MH25 as it hasn't been done before ?
    .Me

Well, definetly I'm not the first. There is a german company which is selling the CNCd version of the machine.

But there are no details or pictures available and no endusers to be found.

For this conversion the most difficult part is fitting the ballscrews for the X and Z.

The space is tight and some milling of the saddle is needed to fit 16mm ballnuts. I have doubt a 20mm ballnut can fit without requiring too much milling and endangering the casting integrity.

This is why I search for other owners. So I can exchange some ideas based on the experience with the real machine.

Hello Andrei,

I am looking for some experience regarding Optimum machine that you own. As you mention above - not that many are available in the net. Maybe you could share your own experience to enlight the topic a bit. What material do you work with and for what type of work? What is your opinion regarding strong & weak points of this machine? Do you find this machine stiff enough? Would you consider tool holder & changer used in this machine tough and reliable enough?

Thank you in advance for any comment!

best regards,
    Mirek

Thread Information