. .

Thread: Newby to cnc

Hi

I am a luthier, guitar maker specifically but not limited to just guitars.

As well as making acoustic instruments I make solid body or hollow body electrics.

I want to offer a custom build service to performance artists where, within reason, I can design guitar hardware to their custom designs as part of the build process and combine these with hand-crafted wood parts to form a completed instrument.
    This service will offer them the opportunity to have their name/logo within the design as well as taking some ownership of the design process.

I worked for 25years in the telecoms industry and developed a cable management product through to Patent and prototyping but just short of production, so I have some design experience, using Solidworks as a design tool. I currently work part time as a Technician in a High School and use Denford cnc equipment but not extensively.

I would be looking to mill custom parts from steel/bronze/copper/aluminium with a working envelope of 150 x 100 x 60 approximately and possibly some turned parts. I dont have a budget in mind as I am not sure which particular maching or software package will suit me and this is a near future target so maybe within the next year.

If anyone can spare any time to advise me of a way forward I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Hi Stu,

Great introduction to yourself, having access to the Denford equipment will come in handy i'm sure, welcome to the forum.

The best place to start is posting your own questions and thoughts on the forum and allow your adventure to grow, If you plan to build your own machine (using the school machines to facilitate) then go for it!, check out the Gantry/Router Machines section or if you would prefer to stick to a smaller working area, a Mill type machine may suite your needs better so you should have a good read up in the Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions section.

When your ready, start asking questions and we will help guide you in the right direction.

Thanks for joining and good luck
    .Me

Thread Information