. .

Thread: Fusion 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Fusion360 See this:- https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/f...F3PT0ifQ%3D%3D

It looks like a slippery road down hill
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I've just renewed under the new terms and conditions. As far as I can see, as a "home and hobby" user, almost nothing has changed except that the collaboration tools are no longer available. In the few years that I have been using (and teaching others to use) the product, I think I have only wanted to share a design once. I don't think that that is an unreasonable restriction for "home and hobby" use as you can still share the f3d files.

However, I may well have missed something else of significance that has been removed from "our" version - anyone know what that might be?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I received the email about it a couple days ago.

I always suspected the free lunch would end at some point, as Autodesk have essentially been developing F360 to get market share back from Solidworks, so it's no surprise given they've gained a large user base, they now want to maximise return on all their effort.

From a quick look at hobby restrictions, you're still getting full design and manufacture (CAD + CAM) functionality, but losing everything else, which could be quite a bit, as other key features have separate headers on the features page - https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/features
    I can understand removing Simulation and other advanced functions, but 3D modelling is a major feature, and they're going to lose a lot of 3D printer users if hobbyists don't get access to the Rapid Prototyping stuff.

Has anybody had a look through the F360 forums to see if there's a breakdown/comparison between what the different levels of users get?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I don't think it's quite that bad. From the Autodesk site:

Fusion 360 for free personal use includes all capabilities, except:

Phone and email technical support
    Team collaboration and data management
    Commercial translators (such as NX, Catia, SOLIDWORKS, Inventor, PTC Creo, etc.)*
    AnyCAD (non-destructive, native CAD translation and referencing)*

This table seems to be the best guide to what's in and what's out - and it does look like only the "Team" feature is changing.

This list of features is a bit confusing as, for example, CAM is listed under both rapid prototyping and manufacturing. Although there is some stuff under "RP" for 3D printer support, my guess is that a lot of hobby users would export an STL file and then process that with their favourite slicer package, rather than limit themselves to whatever F360 supports. At least, that's what I always do!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That table does make things a bit clearer, and does mean I could probably still sneak by with the personal license, as I do make use of the simulation occasionally, and it'll save the hassle of jumping through the hoops for the startup license.

The only projects I've got in F360 are all either machine modification related, or personal projects.
    All my business stuff is either done in CamBam, or manually, as I like to keep close tabs on where my money making data is kept!

At least F360 notionally keeps "cloud" data private (although I wouldn't put that much faith in that). OnDesign, probably its main online competition, quite openly says that if you want a free licence, you have to make your data publicly available.

Given that my projects are all money sinks rather than money sources, I'm not that worried either way

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    If anybody is interested I have found this:-
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...DCphHyYipbzT64
    ..Clive

Clive, Neale already posted that link ;-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

The only issue I've noticed is having a design open on one computer (I do all the hard work in the comfort of my toy room) and later trying to open the same design on the shed computer for CAMing - I was prompted in the shed to allow the design to be closed on the first computer. First time I'd seen this happen, having used this principle for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Clive, Neale already posted that link ;-)
    Thanks. Sorry I must have missed it
    ..Clive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information