. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Ok, Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Basic synopsis: I bought a Denford Micromill which came with a PC and Mach 3. This is my 1st machine, never having dabbled in this field before. I saw it working. I used it myself and it worked.

Then, I made a mistake with updating when no updating was needed, but, at the same time, the hard drive on the PC died.

I got another PC, downloaded Mach 3, and a vista driver, and installed it. Software fired up.

Except I cant get Mach and the machine to talk to each other. I spent a couple of hours today trying to configure mach, like hotkeys etc, but to be honest, I have not a clue about input/output pins and drives and whatever. No matter what I tried, nothing worked.

So, I really need a Guide for complete Muppets, or a complete rundown on components and a how to on rigging up for something like a DDCSV2.1 or similar.

Help greatly appreciated, may thanks in advance.
    RC cars
    RC helicopters
    Motorbikes
    Renovating an entire house
    Twatter: @CrazyLThirteen
    Insta: CrazyLThirteen

Heya,

So, first thing is first, we need to make sure your parallel port driver is working, and that Mach3 is talking to it.

I've never used Mach3 myself, but to me that means assigning a port and a pin to one of the axis directions, let's say X Dir, assign to Pin 1 of whatever port you're using, maybe port 1?

Now, jog that axis in Mach 3 one way then the other whilst having a multimeter in DC voltage <20V mode on the parallel port to try and see it change. If you can see the pin change when you change the jog direction, we're in business, otherwise there's a problem to fix.

Incidentally, I'm over in Fareham, so although I'm not experienced with either that mill or the software, I'm quite good with this stuff in general so would be willing to pop over for some poking around and moral support.

Good Luck!
    Andy

Hi,

Ok first thing to ask is what operating system are you using. If it's 64bit then Mach3 driver doesn't work with 64bit.

If 32 bit and driver installed correctly then it will most likely simply be that you don't have the correct Motor output settings and input settings for E/stop,limtis etc.
    To get these will take a little detective work by looking at the boards inside to work out what you have and what goes to where.
    If you take some good pictures of the boards and drives etc we will more than likely be able to work them out.

Hi guys, thanks for posting.

The replacement tower I had is running Vista (yeah, yeah, I know ) but I found a driver and also a driver for the PCI card, which I had to install manually. So I got Mach to actually run (there is another thread on that caper here: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/12742...right-balls-up )

I will check to see if it's a 32 or 64 version as I'm unsure to be honest. I've never bothered to look.

I found a window in one of the config setting bits that has a load of functions down the left, like Axis + & -, and options to change the red cross to a green tick. Obviously, this is enabling the functions, bu there was another similar one that simply said "input#1, input#2" etc. I've not a scooby what that is all about, which doesn't help.

We'll pretend I'm an idiot with this, it wont be hard

I found a section yesterday that claimed to be an automatic settings function. Where one selects a function, clicks autoset, or something, then Mach sets about finding signals from the machine. All I managed to do with that was flick the limit switches by hand and Mach recognized that, that and the estop.

Except Machs reset button in the corner isn't in sync with the machines estop, it's all driving me nuts. At that point I had to ask here for help.

I will look at wires etc and what goes where as I still might research for a stand alone controller further down the line.

Thanks for the offer Andy, it would be most helpful, I will get the multimeter out and have a look. We'll see how we get on. Alas, Thanks for posting Andy and Jazz
    RC cars
    RC helicopters
    Motorbikes

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If you've lost the settings, then the only option is to figure out what is connected where, unless the previous owner happened to keep a backup of the settings.

A good start would be to post up some pictures of the inside of the control box, to give us some idea as to what you have, then we can hopefully give some better advise.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

OK, right, sorry for the delay, you know how life is sometimes.
    I opened the back up and was confronted with this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_1518581_zps3qqlofm8.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	26881

Question 1, Am I correct in thinking the control board is the one on the top right? This thing here:

Name:	20191215_1518481_zpsjfk0f8rp.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	26882

If so, it looks like a non original part and is probably part of the mach 3 conversion. How am I doing? on the right track? lol I don't think the drivers for my pci card were installed correctly. I had to install them manually into the right folder, so I either haven't done that right, or I installed an incorrect driver. Either way, it's doing my head in, which leads me to my next question.

Question 2, Starting again, what software and peripherals would be required to get going again? By peripherals I mean pci cards, boards etc.

Question 3, If I wanted to go down the route of using a standalone controller, like a ddcsv2.1 for example, would that simply be a question of extending the wires that go into here:

Name:	20191215_1527581_zpskd6ctt2j.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	26883

and here:

Name:	20191215_1526271_zps55isycor.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	26884

and wiring them in to the back of the controller? Is that a question for another section or can it be answered here? Any info or recommendations appreciated.
    Last edited by Crazy L; 15-12-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    RC cars
    RC helicopters
    Motorbikes

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    It looks fairly well documented / labelled so certainly a retrofit would be on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post

Question 1, Am I correct in thinking the control board is the one on the top right? This thing here:

Question 2, Starting again, what software and peripherals would be required to get going again? By peripherals I mean pci cards, boards etc.

Question 3, If I wanted to go down the route of using a standalone controller, like a ddcsv2.1 for example, would that simply be a question of extending the wires that go into here:
    and wiring them into the back of the controller? Is that a question for another section or can it be answered here? Any info or recommendations appreciated.
    # 1 Yes but unfortunately it's not good news because that board is a All-in-one board so the drives for the motors are built into it. So to replace you'll also need new drives for the motors.

#2 If starting over then I'd advise you to go with an Ethernet-based Controller. Most modern PC's have ethernet so you won't need any PCI cards etc Regards software then you'll only need the control software ie: Mach3 and any Plug-in for the controller (Nearly all external controllers require plug-in)

#3 If you had drives then yes, in theory, it would just be a case of re-wiring to the stand-alone controller.
    But warn you if you can't get your head around this setup then you have no chance dealing with the DDcsv2.1 or any of the cheap chinese controllers. So unless you speak Chinese and like puzzles then stay away from is my advice.!

Hope this helps https://www.victortrucco.com/CNC/Cor...xis_Manual.pdf

It shows the Mach3 settings.

Yes it is a retrofit.

MX&HNY

Rob

Thanks Cropwell. I have just downloaded and saved for future reference.

Thanks for the advice Jazzcnc. It looks like your answer to question 2 would be my most viable option.
    So, taking that advice, and that I have a machine, a pc, with Mach 3 already on it. Would I be some where close if I were to assume all I need is an ethernet cable, and a control board, similar in features to the one already installed and the associated plug-in/driver for said board?

Cheers for the help, I have learned something today. I bought it as a working concern, and I've only had this trouble since the hard drive went pete tong and I've had to start again with absolutely no knowledge of the build or how it all went together.
    RC cars
    RC helicopters
    Motorbikes

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information