. .
    I have an ex school boxford cnc router A3HSR. It has working fine until yesterday. When I home it the the Z and X axis motors home fine and stiop but Y axis motor keeps turning and doesn't stop.

Does anyone have any ideas. This machine doesn't seem to have limit switches.

Thanks in hope!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Diysurgeon View Post
    I have an ex school boxford cnc router A3HSR. It has working fine until yesterday. When I home it the the Z and X axis motors home fine and stiop but Y axis motor keeps turning and doesn't stop.

Does anyone have any ideas. This machine doesn't seem to have limit switches.

Thanks in hope!

Mike
    I've converted a few of these A3HSR Routers and they usually have proximity switches for home switches. So it's my guess the Y switch isn't working.
    I seem to recall it's located under the Z-axis cover and travels on the Y-axis and looks for a metal target at the end of travel but could be wrong as it's been a while.! . . . If I'm correct then Check the target hasn't moved or come off

Thank you for a quick reply. I will check that out tomorrow.

Mike

Thanks, you were spot on. I tried to lower the sensor so it was closer to the plate but it made no difference. I then put a thin washer on the plate and as the sensor passed over it worked! the motor stopped. Obviously its not a micro switch do you know how this sensor works e.g. magnetic read switch or some other?

Thanks for your help I'm back up and running.

Now to work out how to fit a fourth axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Diysurgeon View Post
    Thanks, you were spot on. I tried to lower the sensor so it was closer to the plate but it made no difference. I then put a thin washer on the plate and as the sensor passed over it worked! the motor stopped. Obviously its not a micro switch do you know how this sensor works e.g. magnetic read switch or some other?

Thanks for your help I'm back up and running.

Now to work out how to fit a fourth axis.
    There are many types of proximity switches but your type is an inductive type that senses metal causing a shift in a magnetic field. This explains better than I can.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_sensor

Regards the 4th axis then the last machine I converted had the 4th axis and it used a Custom driver Board which connected to the main driver board and talked to the Boxford controller. I would imagine it's a very expensive add on. The Boxford 4th axis was also very poorly made.

Thanks for the information that was useful. I have a rotary attachment for my laser so thought I might look into attaching it to the boxford. That's a project for the future, not enough hours in the day lol. Once again thanks for your help.

Mike

Thread Information