. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks and cool, at least I know what I'm trying to cure now :-)

Some of MACH4 is very similar to MACH3 (I think I recognise some of Ger21's work in the probing/touch menus for example). So if its in there I can probably find the setting.

I'll report back after a session tomorrow evening hopefully.

Whilst I remember the spindle wiring worked perfectly. Here's a quick demo:

If it's this pulse edge problem - certainly sounds like it! - then you can either swap over the "step" connections at one end (IP/M or driver) or change the "active high/low" setting for the step pulses in Mach4. I'm assuming that it has a setting for that, just like Mach3. I had this problem on my Z axis which is why it didn't show up for a while - you see the problem when there are lots of direction changes on that axis and for mainly profile cutting, there aren't many on Z.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    If it's this pulse edge problem - certainly sounds like it! - then you can either swap over the "step" connections at one end (IP/M or driver) or change the "active high/low" setting for the step pulses in Mach4.
    Just as an also to this for others having this problem, some drives let you change the step edge using a dip switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Whilst I remember the spindle wiring worked perfectly. Here's a quick demo:
    Something doesn't sound right there.? Or is it just bad sound.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Something doesn't sound right there.? Or is it just bad sound.?
    Not sure - the sound is generally bad on the camera and its also mounted directly to the spindle/bearing mount. The spindle is fairly new and does make a bit more sound than the one I had previously, but it doesn't get hot or anything, so I assume its OK (pulls about 1.8 to 2.1 amps under load). The hole is also drilling through the stock into the sacrificial bed for indexing purposes and the drill will be catching on one peck at lest on the double sided tape under there (plus some other detritus in previous cut throughs).

Just about to head down to the workshop to try the pulse edge thing, but I also notice in my drive manual/datasheet that there are 4 jumper settings to choose from:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jumpers.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	27218

I'm assuming that "a" is default, so I probably need "b" (or vice versa depending on what I find in there and assuming I don't set it in MACH4)?

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    I'm assuming that "a" is default, so I probably need "b" (or vice versa depending on what I find in there and assuming I don't set it in MACH4)?
    Yes that's the drive setting for switching leading edge but just do it in mach4 it's easier.

Regards the noise then I wasn't meaning the sound of the spindle, it sounded clunky in its movement as if a coupler or pulley something was loose, possibly dodgy bearing. I'd be checking out the Z axis as well. You would get the same problem if something was slipping.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Latest report:

I couldn't find the setting in MACH4 for the Dir Active Low (not in Output Signals, nor Axis Mapping, Motor Tuning tabs in Config, nor in the CS-LABS plug-in which is where I kind of expected to be hiding if its in there). I wonder if the CS-LABs guys need to write it into their plug-in for MACH4? Also CS-LABS have released a new version, but I figured I had enough variables to contend with in one night :)

Anyway, having lessened the ghetto factor recently on my control cabinet, whipping the drives out on their DIN mounts and putting a jumper on J3, seems to have worked a treat and the same toolpath that was resulting in a 5mm unwanted offset is now spot on, so thanks again chaps for the advice.

One thing that is still very ghetto on my machine is the belt tensioning "axle" and sprocket arrangement, which was hastily put on the machine 7 years ago when I put the 2nd ballscrew on the X axis. That's probably the source of the slack alice coupler/pulley sound - something I should have done something about really by now The Z Axis I'll investigate...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information