. .

Thread: What software

So I'm just starting out in cnc and I have a AKZ250 which uses usb for interface.

What software do people use use?

Free and cost thanks

AKZ250 is a USB break-out board?

What software are you referring to? The motion controller? (Mach, LinuxCNC, UCCNC, etc?), the CAM?, the CAD? It's worth thinking about what machine you're going to connect your BOB too. My choice of software differs between a mill and a lathe - your choices may be limited by the BOB and choice of OS and machine.

Doddy makes a good point, you'll need a program to produce your drawings (CAD) and generate the G-code (CAM) up front.

Fusion 360 is becoming very popular as it's a free and very powerful 3D tool and does both CAD and CAM functions but is not very intuitive. I've yet to spend the time needed to master it though I've tried it out several times. Others may disagree regarding it's ease of use.

CamBam is a 2D drawing package and CAM generator which is not free but is well worth the one-off cost. All future upgrades are free, as are a wide range of very useful extra plug-ins available from a strong user base. CamBam is easy to learn and use.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Sorry I didn't make my self very clear

Yes I'll be using fusion 360 but I was on about software for the pc talking to the AKZ250 sorry for the confusion and late response

So, the AZK250 is a Mach3 motion control board. Suggest you look at Mach3 or perhaps trial Mach4.

I think the AZK250 only works with Mach3?
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    I think the AZK250 only works with Mach3?
    Yes Gerry's correct and not supported by mach4 also believe it only works stable on older 040 version.! . . . . No surprises there really.!

Thread Information