. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello All

I've got the builders in at the moment and it looks like there are going to be a few large blocks of granite 100x25x8.5cm leftover. Two of these blocks side by side would be just the right size for my sorotec compact line cnc base (https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Portal-m...-DIY-4863.html). I would assume that i'm going to either epoxy or cement the two blocks together and drill some holes for tie rods to help hold the blocks together. I would either mount this on a steel frame (to be welded together) or just lay it on the wooden bench that I have my current machine on. I would like to attach the c-line machine with bolts and washers to the granite as there are two fairly hefty aluminium extrusions running end to end. Is all of this a good idea or a waste of time as i'm mainly going to be cutting wood. I've bought finally some of the jmc 180watt servos and aparently they are quite fast, so I figured a bit of extra weight might help to keep things stable. If anyone has any comments or recomendations i'm all ears.
    cheers
    Andrew

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    A feasible idea. I looked at similar before going for Thor (search for my build on here) all Concrete machine. Slightly ;p larger than yours (2 ton) but similar ideas.

Hi Chaz
    2 ton would probably have me going through the floor into my cellar. The granite blocks are pretty heavy I just hope the builders don't need them for my pathway.

Cheers
    Andrew

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    My point was that its very feasible as an idea. No need to do 2 tons ;p

Hi Chaz
    Yes I got that. No worries I won't be shifting granite gravestones about the place. Just out of interest does anyone on the forum any experience of drilling granite? I want to drill a few 12 mm holes through the slabs which are 25 cm wide. I've got a pneumatic hammer drill.
    Cheers
    Andrew

No you don't want Pneumatic hammer drill you need a diamond tipped core drill (PCD) and lots of water.

Phill

Yep, that. Impact will cause a problem. You dont 'drill' granite, you cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Just out of interest does anyone on the forum any experience of drilling granite? I want to drill a few 12 mm holes through the slabs which are 25 cm wide. I've got a pneumatic hammer drill.
    Whatever you do, don't turn hammer on it will crack it like Eggshell. While it seems rock hard Granite actually fractures very easily if handled wrong.
    Ideally, you need a Slow speed Drill with high torque and like been suggested PCD Core bit and lots n lots of clean water. Do not try cutting without Water with PCD otherwise, they just fail quickly.

Hi All
    I think i'll give up the idea of tie rods and just epoxy or cement the two blocks into a steel welded frame. Does anyone have any ideas as to fixing the base onto the granite. I figured just drilling some holes through the granite and connecting them with bolts and t-nuts into the ali extrusion. I've attached a couple of photos of the base plate. It's machined flat the base is 20mm thick and the ali extrusion is 60mm square. All comments gratefully acceptedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20191106_001614.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	26686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20191106_001626.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	26687

cheers
    Andrew

I believe there must be a mechanical connection between frame and granite. Not just glue or epoxy as for me it will defeat the purpose. Best would be to be clamped somehow to bottom of the frame. But if clamped comes the danger for breaking so a thin layer of polymeric glue will help. Which again makes me doubt the whole purpose.of the operation.

Anyway, for that exact machine polymeric glue will suffice. The kind of glue that fixes metal to metal or metal to stone. It must be sticky like sh_t, not the ones that look like silicone at the hardware store that say xxkg of force, blah blah. I dont know in Uk but in Spain you find that at a place where constructors buy their stuff. Cheaper and much better than epoxy for the purpose.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information