. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I spoke to Direct Drives. Pricy and when you mention CNC they say 'no sure if that load would work'. So clearly too risk / pricy to experiment.
    Not quite sure what CNC has to do with it! At least some of the 240-415 inverters on their eBay site come with remote control pods and external CNC control is effectively only replacing the remote controls in the box. But at £600+ for a 3HP box, it's a bit steep.

Thanks for the offer of letting me look at one of the Ecogoo systems but at 200miles distance in South Devon it's a bit far. Kind offer, though. From your experience it sounds as if one of these would suit me anyway, so I'll see what Father Christmas puts in my stocking. Or at least I'll see what's left in my wallet the other side of Christmas!

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Not quite sure what CNC has to do with it! At least some of the 240-415 inverters on their eBay site come with remote control pods and external CNC control is effectively only replacing the remote controls in the box. But at £600+ for a 3HP box, it's a bit steep.

Thanks for the offer of letting me look at one of the Ecogoo systems but at 200miles distance in South Devon it's a bit far. Kind offer, though. From your experience it sounds as if one of these would suit me anyway, so I'll see what Father Christmas puts in my stocking. Or at least I'll see what's left in my wallet the other side of Christmas!
    I think its due to the load being variable and possibly 'choppy' if you think that the drives are doing their own trickery.

No problem, always welcome. We are property hunting and whilst your area is appealing, not sure we will head out that far. One of my team members at work lives in South Moulton.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I
    I have looked longingly at these Ecogoo devices, and I wonder if they actually use a switching voltage boost on the input rather than a simple passive doubler. Also wondered about just putting a chunky transformer plus bridge rectifier in front of my existing VFD but haven't stumbled across anything cheap enough to play with yet.
    They ought to if they want to have any chance of meeting the relevant regulations! The circuit in question is a thing called a PFC boost converter, these are used on the front end of most high power switch mode power supplies, but are normally wired to generate 350...400V DC output which is then either regulated down to a lower voltage or turned into 3 phase 220V AC. It's not a lot of work to make one that outputs 550...600V or so which you can make 380/415V 3 phase from.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

Bought the Ecogogo VFD. 5.5kw to run 3.9kw motors.

Patched it into the main switchgear, direct onto the motor selector switch. (It's a combination machine with 3x motors). Wired the motors to permenant Star at the switchgear, so only 3 wires to join.

Only question I had was about earthing the VFD, as there was no dedicated terminal, so earthed the machine and the VFD heatsink to mains earth.

Runs great out of the box and didn't cost too much. £190 all in, for the 380v output version.

Will see how it handles load soon.

Thanks for all the advice.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Great, let us know how you get on longer term.

A question on these. Ive got 2 of them, both 9100 series. I can see there is a 9000 series with similar specs (220V single phase input, 380V 3 phase output), rated at 7.5KW and somewhat cheaper.

Has anyone used the 9000 series with success?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Bought the Ecogogo VFD. 5.5kw to run 3.9kw motors.

Patched it into the main switchgear, direct onto the motor selector switch. (It's a combination machine with 3x motors). Wired the motors to permenant Star at the switchgear, so only 3 wires to join.

Only question I had was about earthing the VFD, as there was no dedicated terminal, so earthed the machine and the VFD heatsink to mains earth.

Runs great out of the box and didn't cost too much. £190 all in, for the 380v output version.

Will see how it handles load soon.

Thanks for all the advice.
    What was the model number of yours? A link to where you bought it please?

I'm getting a 5 HP Shaper being delivered to me in the new few days and would think one of these units should work well for it.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    A question on these. Ive got 2 of them, both 9100 series. I can see there is a 9000 series with similar specs (220V single phase input, 380V 3 phase output), rated at 7.5KW and somewhat cheaper.

Has anyone used the 9000 series with success?

Thanks
    I think the main thing is the 9000 doesn't go to as high a frequency, however I'm struggling to find a 9000 manual to confirm that.
    There may also dump some of the other features, as according to the 9100 manual I have here, it also does Vector control.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks - so the 9000 may suit for 'just generating' 380V - so cheaper than the 9100.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information