. .
    Some advice wanted please.

Can modern VFD's generate 380v 3 phase from single phase 220v?

I'd assumed that they usually run at the same output voltage as the input so 220v 1ph in and 220v 3ph out, so to run a standard 3ph motor, you have to rewire it from delta to star.

I was looking at some of the VFD's on ebay and came across some that suggest they do some sort of voltage doubling to give 380v 3 phase ouput.

Are the specs bogus?

A 4kw VFD was priced at 170, so more expnsive than the 220v 1ph to 220v 3ph models.

Lives in wakefield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 6,317. Received thanks 1,040 times, giving thanks to others 46 times.
    Yes, you can get 220v to 380v but they are not common. Mainly because to do their trickery they dump a lot of interference back into the electrical Grid so you might get few angry neighbors or even knock on the door from power company.!!...... That said I know a few who have them and work without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes, you can get 220v to 380v but they are not common. Mainly because to do their trickery they dump a lot of interference back into the electrical Grid so you might get few angry neighbors or even knock on the door from power company.!!...... That said I know a few who have them and work without any problems.
    Thanks Jazz.

I'll have a look at the wiring situation and if star to delta is not too tricky, I'll stick with a 220 in/out version.

Thread Information