. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It proved to be quite a hard thing to find a servo that goes 270 degrees. Very easy to find 360 continuous, though.
    So this is the one I found, around 14 euro a piece, 4x4x2cm (which is the upper size limit for my project, but still, it is good). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHP05201062-640x480.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	26827
    The only RC remote that does not break the bank, and has enough channels is this one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radiocomanda-FLYSKY-FS-i6X-2-4GHz-10-canale-Telemetrie_a08095_1562743413.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	26828. 10 ch and I can get at around 80 euro including the receiver, which seems a great deal.

1. rc transmitter/receiver and 270 degree servos x2 - 110 euro by now

Doing the research, I found a few extra options:

2. ps3 controller setup - pro: it does not need extra batteries, has lots of channels/buttons Attachment 26823
    3. chinesse cheap remote 12 ch - pro: lots of channels for 25 quit. Attachment 26824
    4. excavator toy -60 euro - pro: includes the cheap remote, and has 15 functions which mean lots of motors and gears, which I can take out of the case and reuse them for my project. no programming needed. cons: it is a toy, so I don't know how long it it gonna last Attachment 26825
    5. ir remote control and steppers, and probably with a mega 2560. pro: almost everything is very cheap, so I can build as many 4 channel configurations I desire Attachment 26826

I am quite divided on this options, although the excavator thing seems the fastest way to go around, but I would like very much to hear your thoughs on this, some pros and cons.
    Last edited by Radu_Andrei; 01-12-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radu_Andrei View Post
    It proved to be quite a hard thing to find a servo that goes 270 degrees. Very easy to find 360 continuous, though.
    So this is the one I found, around 14 euro a piece, 4x4x2cm (which is the upper size limit for my project, but still, it is good).
    Definitely don't want a continuous servo - the voltage is then in relation to the speed, not the position.

The 300 degree option you've posted looks decent, but be aware it is a digital servo, which I believe means it wants a PWM signal in order to control it - certainly would tie in with the specifications which give min and max pulse widths.

I did not get to this part of research yet. Does this pwm signal means that I cannot plug it in directly into the flysky receiver?

Yes and No.

Most receivers output an analogue signal, I believe it just varies in amplitude between 0V and 5V. That is great for just plugging straight into normal analogue servos.

But, you can potentially reflash the firmware on the receivers to output PWM signals.

Why would PWM be useful in this case? Much greater resolution than the analogue signal, less error in the system - if the servo can resolve down to 1us with 1000us pulses, you get 0.3 degrees per 1us, and can then control the servo to that accuracy (in theory!) - the analogue servo would need a resolution of 5mV to do the same thing.

My only experience with this is with FrSky receivers, and in that case the PWM output wasn't just on a per-channel basis, it would instead send all 8 channels in PWM through the first channel output - e.g. if Channel 1 was 100%, channel 2 was 0%, channel 3 was 75%, and the others were all 0% it would send a long frame, where the first 1000us would be on, the second 1000us would be off, then 750us on, then off for (5+0.25) 5250us. That setup is great if you want to send 8 channels worth of data to an Arduino or something, but you'd get some crazy servo behavior if you plugged straight into it.

TLDR; stick with analogue servos all around to make your life simple. Digital servos are probably better, but you're going to need to invest more time into ensuring the equipment is compatible first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information