. .
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Quote Originally Posted by devmonkey View Post
    Those look excellent value thanks. How deep DOC do you go with the rougher in ali?
    It depends on the grade. I mostly use Cast tooling plate and I can take 4mm DOC slot milling with coolant but I often keep it to half that with a bump in feed to save the cutter but run it dry with air. to keep the mess down. Feeds n speeds I tend to play around with depending on the job but they range from 1000mm/min to 1600mm/min. RPM 12K to 20K often around 15k.

I did play around with deeper DOC and the cutters will happily take 100% Dia but my 2.2Kw spindle isn't very keen, there's nothing left for a safety margin and a slight soft spot will stall it.
    Side cutting it will happily take 1.5xD and I often cut 20mm plate full pass just dibbling it away 0.30mm, which is roughly the serration depth, hence my 0.4 finish passes. When using i-machining (adaptive) I can really ramp it up and it's crazy fast at full DOC.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It depends on the grade. I mostly use Cast tooling plate and I can take 4mm DOC slot milling with coolant but I often keep it to half that with a bump in feed to save the cutter but run it dry with air. to keep the mess down. Feeds n speeds I tend to play around with depending on the job but they range from 1000mm/min to 1600mm/min. RPM 12K to 20K often around 15k.

I did play around with deeper DOC and the cutters will happily take 100% Dia but my 2.2Kw spindle isn't very keen, there's nothing left for a safety margin and a slight soft spot will stall it.
    Side cutting it will happily take 1.5xD and I often cut 20mm plate full pass just dibbling it away 0.30mm, which is roughly the serration depth, hence my 0.4 finish passes. When using i-machining (adaptive) I can really ramp it up and it's crazy fast at full DOC.
    Right i'll order a couple, sounds excellent. Are you saying you can cut cast plate full depth (20mm) at 1000mm/min using trochoidal/adaptive? I haven't tried anything like that aggressive, I usually cut at 6mm DOC with a 6mm cutter, ~1600mm/min and 1mm stepover into plate with trochoidal.

Right i'll order a couple, sounds excellent. Are you saying you can cut cast plate full depth (20mm) at 1000mm/min using trochoidal/adaptive? I haven't tried anything like that aggressive, I usually cut at 6mm DOC with a 6mm cutter, ~1600mm/min and 1mm stepover into plate with trochoidal.
    No Using i-machining which is Solid-Cam's version of trochoidal I can cut much more aggressively than 1000mm/min at 20mm DOC. i-machining adjusts the feed based on geometry while it's cutting and usually, it's anywhere between 2000-4000mm/min and 14-18000rpm. And that's on the medium setting 4, if I bump up the level to 7 it really rips chips, but it knocks the hell out the machine and spindle so I keep it between 3-4. This usually spits out feeds between 2-3000mm/min, 12000rpm and varies the step over between 0.1 and 0.9mm. See Pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imach.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	288.1 KB 
ID:	28841
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I have read this thread and I have a question.
    I saw you have plates welded on the frame and a washers under the supports.
    How did you position the ball screw support (bk/bf) on the frame? By the thickness of the washers you set the screw to be parallel with the rail?

Hi
    Is it SKU IR26526 profile?

No delete option for duplicate post - sorry:(
    Last edited by Tom J; 03-01-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Gantry extrusion has arrived from KJN, it is a real beast. KJN cutting appears very accurate.

Attachment 26902 Attachment 26903

So now I need to decide how to mount 15mm rail to the extrusion. I was considering 3 options:
    1. Mount rail directly to extrusion between the two slots, drilling and tapping.
    2. Mount rail on aluminium plate which is in turn bolted to the slots.
    3. Mount rail directly to slot.

This shows that the profile is not flat across the width which I believe is by design so that the slots pull up to meet whatever you are clamping to them. The slot edges are 0.15mm lower than the centre, the centre and the 2 corners are perfectly aligned within the resolution I can measure with finest feeler gauge.

Attachment 26905

Now I have the extrusion (1) is a non-starter as there is a very slight peak in the centre and I would need to mill it flat which is hard given the gantry is longer than my mill table, although not impossible.
    (2) is what many people seem to do and so obviously works but is more work for me.
    Can I get away with (3), see picture below, what do you think?

Attachment 26904

I have a 50mm fly cutter, it would be possible given the extrusion is already flat and parallel to fly cut between the high points, would have to tram the mill carefully first.
    Hi
    Is it SKU IR26526 profile?

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread Information