This will be the 4th machine I've built but the first for 10 years and the first I have posted a thread on. After various house moves, workshop rebuilds, etc, I am actually without a functioning router for the first time in ages which is extremely frustrating!

This machine will be reasonably compact, work volume of around 1000x600x200mm. It is very similar to the first router build by Boyan, in that it has a self supporting bed frame with raised X rail supports. I need to process aluminium, carbon, modelling board and maybe hardwood.

Frame is 80x80x3 welded steel box.

Gantry is 160x80 extrusion (Item series 8 heavy or clone thereof).

Plates will be 16mm cast milled tooling plate which I will have to produce on my manual mill.

Ballscrews from Fred, 1610 on X+Y, 1605 on Z, with BK/BF12 AC support blocks.

Hiwin 20 on X and 15 on Y+Z. X rails will be epoxy levelled with West 105/209.

I'm going to use steppers (in the past I used DMMTech servos) but seemingly 3N steppers with digital drives are quite suitable for this small machine.

I have done the basic dimensioning so I can get started on the frame. The gantry plates and Z axis will be adjusted as required but the sketches below should give you (and me) and idea of where I am heading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	persp1.jpg 
Views:	1275 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	26759

Name:	persp2.jpg 
Views:	1201 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	26760

Name:	top1.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	26761

Frame box section cut to a fairly good tolerance on the trusty/rusty Rage2.

Name:	IMG_20191119_154900 (Large).jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	26762

And frame welded up, not quite finished yet, needs some end plates and reinforcements to catch the screw supports and motor mounts. I used an inverter stick welder, quite a revelation, amazing capability in something the size of a lunch box. Was quite careful to avoid warping, not by limiting heat but rather by carefully sequencing the welds to counter each other. I can't measure any warpage so it was successful.

Name:	IMG_20191121_152208 (Large).jpg 
Views:	1312 
Size:	511.9 KB 
ID:	26763

I would would welcome any input on the basic design, but more urgently I'd like some help on the following:
1. Where is the best place to buy cast milled plate from? The guy I last bought from locally has gone to the wall.
2. What is the minimum constant temperature you would risk an epoxy pour with 105/209?
3. Has anyone bought extrusion from Alprofil? http://www.alprofil.com/aluminium_profile_frames.htm

Cheers, Joe