. .
    Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    I purchased a cheap motor controller for the drill press as it's a pain to change the belts. There is very little explanation on what colours should go where. So far I've established that the yellow is ground and red is then neutral. The other colours then have continuity with live.

I've got some images here to show what I've got to try and figure out.

This is the controller.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTB1h3iSRHvpK1RjSZFqq6AXUVXas.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	26764
    This is the controller diagram

Name:	73279048_432286314057486_6251605884678438912_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	26765

Name:	72285022_2585049898251556_859853608005402624_n.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	26766

This is the cover plate for the motor showing the wiring diagram.

Name:	78089729_475976483268984_8595025013009022976_n.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	26767

Any help would be most appreciated.

Rob

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That speed controller is for a DC motor, not an AC motor.

The only way to reliably control the speed of an AC motor is via varying the frequency (aka VFD).
    That speed controller will likely just be a basic SCR circuit, which is designed to run DC motors from an AC source.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I found the same controller on eBay. In the description it states..

Installation and usage method:

The controller has 6 lines, the black line is the main line of the motor, the red and white are the capacitor secondary lines, the two blue lines are the speed feedback line, and the green line is the ground line.
    Turn off the power, connect according to the wiring diagram and confirm that the line connection is correct, do not arbitrarily modify it;
    Set the external speed knob to "0" before use to avoid transient high currents and damage the controller.
    This product is controlled by generator feedback voltage, and the control line is divided into two lines: "blue" and "yellow".
    When the governor is connected to the motor and found that the torque or speed does not meet the requirements, the US-52 adjusts the side trimmer potentiometer (speed setting adjustment).
    To change the direction of motor operation, simply replace the jumper "CCW" and "CW" on the wiring on the back of the controller.
    * When changing direction, you must change the motor after it has completely stopped running.
    1) Select COM and CW short circuit, then the motor rotates clockwise;
    2) Select COM and CCW to short, then the motor rotates counterclockwise.
    The action switch only controls the motor to operate or stop, and does not use the power supply for interruption. If it is not used for a long time, please turn off the power.

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    That speed controller is for a DC motor, not an AC motor.

The only way to reliably control the speed of an AC motor is via varying the frequency (aka VFD).
    That speed controller will likely just be a basic SCR circuit, which is designed to run DC motors from an AC source.
    It's a 400W 220V controller for a AC220V 50/60HZ motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealieboyee View Post
    I found the same controller on eBay. In the description it states..

Installation and usage method:

The controller has 6 lines, the black line is the main line of the motor, the red and white are the capacitor secondary lines, the two blue lines are the speed feedback line, and the green line is the ground line.
    Turn off the power, connect according to the wiring diagram and confirm that the line connection is correct, do not arbitrarily modify it;
    Set the external speed knob to "0" before use to avoid transient high currents and damage the controller.
    This product is controlled by generator feedback voltage, and the control line is divided into two lines: "blue" and "yellow".
    When the governor is connected to the motor and found that the torque or speed does not meet the requirements, the US-52 adjusts the side trimmer potentiometer (speed setting adjustment).
    To change the direction of motor operation, simply replace the jumper "CCW" and "CW" on the wiring on the back of the controller.
    * When changing direction, you must change the motor after it has completely stopped running.
    1) Select COM and CW short circuit, then the motor rotates clockwise;
    2) Select COM and CCW to short, then the motor rotates counterclockwise.
    The action switch only controls the motor to operate or stop, and does not use the power supply for interruption. If it is not used for a long time, please turn off the power.
    That's what I managed to find also, I'm only stumped because my motor does not actually use a capacitor. It's an old Hawker siddeley one, at the moment I've rewired it back up with a new cable and given the machine a good once over while I had it in pieces. Runs smoother now for some reason!

Not to worry, I'll try and get it to run on my Myford as that has a capacitor.

Thank you anyhow!

Thread Information