. .
    Hi, I currently run my own engineering business, CNC wise I have two turning centres and two vertical machining centers, all use Siemens controllers, alongside conventional lathes, millers etc. I am looking towards retirement in the near future, and have started to collect some machines for my home workshop, I have just taken delivery of a Maverick 5x3 CNC Router from Legacy CNC in the states, and in the future will look for a smal engineerngl CNC lathe and milling machine.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Welcome.

Why retire and do a home workshop when it sounds like you are already living the dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Welcome.

Why retire and do a home workshop when it sounds like you are already living the dream?
    I would not need to look after customers or staff, I'd only need to answer to the wife.

Hang on...., I'll just have a re-think

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBoroUK View Post
    I would not need to look after customers or staff, I'd only need to answer to the wife.

Hang on...., I'll just have a re-think
    Indeed. But yes, understood.

My view (and im not yet at retirement age), is to try and find something I love doing and be paid for it (being realistic). Today, this is not my own situation and I work in IT to pay for the hobbies. Ideally in the longer term, I have the ability to make and create with tooling I have bought or made, that keeps me happy :-)

That is the main thing Chaz. I have been one of the fortunate people in life regarding a career, doing what I love and getting paid for it. When I was 15, in the school metalwork shop, I made my first part in the lathe. "Thats what I want to do for the rest of my life", I thought. And, 50 years later, thats what I have been doing all my life, and hopefully continue for many years to come. A lot of experience I hope I can pass on to the good people in this forum, but, reading some of the posts, there are some cracking engineers and hobbyists around, I don't think my learning will end yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBoroUK View Post
    That is the main thing Chaz. I have been one of the fortunate people in life regarding a career, doing what I love and getting paid for it. When I was 15, in the school metalwork shop, I made my first part in the lathe. "Thats what I want to do for the rest of my life", I thought. And, 50 years later, thats what I have been doing all my life, and hopefully continue for many years to come. A lot of experience I hope I can pass on to the good people in this forum, but, reading some of the posts, there are some cracking engineers and hobbyists around, I don't think my learning will end yet.
    We dont ever stop learning. The world is far too wide and complex for that.

Thread Information