. .
    Hi gang!

Ok, has anybody used or have an opinion of the very nice looking rotary tables that RDG are offering? I was thinking I might get a 4" to convert to a 4th axis and they seem very affordable, dangerously so. I was going to construct my own belt driven axis but this might be a better and cheaper solution if they are any good.

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Hey Smiler,
    I was thinking about getting a fourth axis as well. I asked Keith (Kip) about what he recommended. I was also looking for a 4" table... anything bigger won't fit under my gantry.

He recommended the RDG table you posted a link to, and he also said something about knowing someone / having the appropriate stuff to do the stepper motor conversion for not very much.

Unfortunetly, because the stepper motor mounts on the top of the table it won't fit under my gantry, so I'm going for this one I think.

Cheers for that. Looks a nice table and made by Vertex too. I'll drop Mr Kip another line and enquire about the mechanicals to convert it.

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Cheers for that. Looks a nice table and made by Vertex too. I'll drop Mr Kip another line and enquire about the mechanicals to convert it.

Jeff.

Jeff,

Did you get anywhere with this? I am now needing a rotary table to do some gear hobbing and engraving of dials for the lathe so planning to attach a stepper as well...

Thinking of treating myself for Xmas :)

Forgot to mention I got one from Arc EuroTrade
    http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ng-Accessories About half way down... The 4" with the stepper pre attached.

I think Kip thinks it was expensive for what it was, but at least I get to use it straight out of the box without having to design / make / wait on parts to get a stepper on it. Quality seems ok, and it weights a ton and a half.

Dave.

6. Quote Originally Posted by lateAtNight View Post
    Forgot to mention I got one from Arc EuroTrade
    http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ng-Accessories About half way down... The 4" with the stepper pre attached.

I think Kip thinks it was expensive for what it was, but at least I get to use it straight out of the box without having to design / make / wait on parts to get a stepper on it. Quality seems ok, and it weights a ton and a half.

Dave.
    Dave, thanks but when I said treat i didnt mean quite that much! I think i'll go for the £60 RDG one, I have a spare stepper motor that'll do the job and the mount is relatively easy...

Only problem I had with my rotary table was fitting thrust bearings as the original just has cast iron on cast iron 'bearings'.
    The backlash adjustment leaves alot to be desired and is difficult set without binding, they are not designed to be motorised so I expect will suffer from high wear in the long run.
    Other fact is that they get a bit tall when a chuck is mounted on them.

peter

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Dave, thanks but when I said treat i didnt mean quite that much! I think i'll go for the £60 RDG one, I have a spare stepper motor that'll do the job and the mount is relatively easy...
    Haha, your not the first one to express how expensive it was :cry:. Starting to think I got ripped off.

Personally I think you got a good deal as the conversion only costs 107.5 and that includes stepper motor and wiring to plug plus the governments cut!
    See inside on this http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...t=rotary+table post 43

Peter

Thread Information