. .
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    So what did it cost? ;p

That said, Keen to see a new controller and how it performs. Cant wait ....

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    the price is excellent, which I won't disclose as I promised them I wouldn't because they have done me a bit of a deal so please don't ask.!
    You could at least tell us what List Price is.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You could at least tell us what List Price is.
    Drop them a line if you want to know anything. I promised I wouldn't mention pricing and I'm a man of my word so stop asking, please.

http://newker-cnc.com/index.php?m=co...=165&l=3&id=90

4. Haven't heard about these controllers before, some competition to watch out for I guess!

Let us know how it performs.
    Puruvesi Automation engineer working on the myCNC project.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan-mycnc View Post
    Haven't heard about these controllers before, some competition to watch out for I guess!

Let us know how it performs.
    Hi Ivan,

To be honest it was a very close thing between your controller and this. I really liked what your controller offered regards it's hardware and what it would allow me to do with the machine. But if I'm being honest the thing that swayed my choice was the main GUI, I really didn't get on with it in simulation mode.

I found the screen confusing and cluttered with buttons and info I didn't need to see on the main working screen. Likewise things I would like to see where missing or not very obvious. It's not intuitive at all and this really lets it down for me.

I'm used to jumping from software to software using different Control software and hardware all the time and I know the fact that I struggled to gets to grip with it then new users will have a very hard time because it's just not intuitive enough with cluttered screen.

To give an example a forum member and new user to CNC recently posted asking questions about tool changing in Planet CNC controller. Now I've never used this software before but straight away within 2mins, the main screen made sense because it displayed everything I needed and was uncluttered with nice big displays for toolpath and G-code that could be dragged about and sized easily.
    All the buttons for often-used functions or custom scripts etc are nicely layout around the edges and all buttons display a short description of what it does when the mouse is held over it. These little things make a big difference to user's experience, esp those who are not using their machines on a daily basis or even weekly basis like many weekend machinists do, so they don't retain what all the buttons, etc do and would spend lot of wasted time refiguring out how to operate your software.

I'm dealing with new users week in week out and I know your software GUI would cause me lots of wasted time answering questions about it because it's just not intuitive enough.

Now please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not pulling down your product and I think the hardware looks very very capable and I am going to try it very soon on my routers, I'm just very busy at the moment so couldn't do it justice.

I hope you take this in the manner it's meant which is feedback, I'm sorry it's negative feedback but hopefully, you can use this and turn it into a positive and improve your GUI because no matter how good the Hardware if the software lets it down then it just doesn't work for me and I know wouldn't for many other users, esp those new to CNC.

Edit: I'm happy to help with feedback or testing regards user experience and I have a lot of experience with dealing with new users so I've got a good insight into what they struggle with. So just ask if this helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

7. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hi Ivan,

To be honest it was a very close thing between your controller and this. I really liked what your controller offered regards it's hardware and what it would allow me to do with the machine. But if I'm being honest the thing that swayed my choice was the main GUI, I really didn't get on with it in simulation mode.

I found the screen confusing and cluttered with buttons and info I didn't need to see on the main working screen. Likewise things I would like to see where missing or not very obvious. It's not intuitive at all and this really lets it down for me.

I'm used to jumping from software to software using different Control software and hardware all the time and I know the fact that I struggled to gets to grip with it then new users will have a very hard time because it's just not intuitive enough with cluttered screen.

To give an example a forum member and new user to CNC recently posted asking questions about tool changing in Planet CNC controller. Now I've never used this software before but straight away within 2mins, the main screen made sense because it displayed everything I needed and was uncluttered with nice big displays for toolpath and G-code that could be dragged about and sized easily.
    All the buttons for often-used functions or custom scripts etc are nicely layout around the edges and all buttons display a short description of what it does when the mouse is held over it. These little things make a big difference to user's experience, esp those who are not using their machines on a daily basis or even weekly basis like many weekend machinists do, so they don't retain what all the buttons, etc do and would spend lot of wasted time refiguring out how to operate your software.

I'm dealing with new users week in week out and I know your software GUI would cause me lots of wasted time answering questions about it because it's just not intuitive enough.

Now please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not pulling down your product and I think the hardware looks very very capable and I am going to try it very soon on my routers, I'm just very busy at the moment so couldn't do it justice.

I hope you take this in the manner it's meant which is feedback, I'm sorry it's negative feedback but hopefully, you can use this and turn it into a positive and improve your GUI because no matter how good the Hardware if the software lets it down then it just doesn't work for me and I know wouldn't for many other users, esp those new to CNC.

Edit: I'm happy to help with feedback or testing regards user experience and I have a lot of experience with dealing with new users so I've got a good insight into what they struggle with. So just ask if this helps.
    Hey Jazz, thanks for the reply!

Right off the bat, I just wanted to say that any feedback (especially when it's as reasonable as yours) is always better than no feedback at all, so thank you for taking the time to write out your thoughts. Regarding how intuitive the software is - I absolutely agree with you that a lot of machinists simply do not have the time to re-learn what all the buttons and knobs do, and when the screen is cluttered, that problem gets worse. Tooltips are a must - that's why we are just finishing up adding them to all of our profiles for all of our on-screen elements. We will be releasing updated application profiles as soon as testing is finished, but as of this week all the major parts of that system are in place and ready to go.

As for complexity of the GUI in general, it's pretty much a split right down the middle for our customers, with those wanting as little non-crucial info and buttons on the main screen as possible (some going as far as to remove the 2D/3D toolpath visualizations entirely), and those who want all the information and all the buttons, all the time. What we are learning more and more is that it's near impossible to satisfy both camps, so we are considering adding a simplified interface that retains only the most important software functions, and hides away all the information that is not 100% necessary.

The good thing is that myCNC is extremely customizable, that means it doesn't take us much time to create custom profiles, or to design a slimmed-down version of the software (and the same can be done by our users, should they want to do some screen editing). We'd love for you to take a look at our updated interface when it's ready, so we'll keep in touch and will hopefully have something for you soon.

Let me know if you end up testing myCNC on your routers!
    Puruvesi Automation engineer working on the myCNC project.

Right off the bat, I just wanted to say that any feedback (especially when it's as reasonable as yours) is always better than no feedback at all, so thank you for taking the time to write out your thoughts.
    Great that you see it this way, it's always a good sign when a person or company embraces negative feedback rather than taking offense.

so we are considering adding a simplified interface that retains only the most important software functions, and hides away all the information that is not 100% necessary.
    I think this would be a better approach, maybe do it in such a way that standard functions or groups of related functions can simply and easily be turned on/off as needed and dragged around the main screen rather than needing to edit screens, etc. Similar to how CAM and CAD software, etc does it. This would make it easy to simply customize the screen with standard or often-used functions that suit the type of machine your using.

For those that want to have Custom layouts or functions etc then they can edit screens as you say.

Anyway, hope my feedback and suggestions help.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Drop them a line if you want to know anything. I promised I wouldn't mention pricing and I'm a man of my word so stop asking, please.

http://newker-cnc.com/index.php?m=co...=165&l=3&id=90
    No problem, I won't ask again, I never even ask companies with Secret Pricing Policies, it invariably means they assess each customer as to how far their leg can be lifted on a case by case basis.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    No problem, I won't ask again, I never even ask companies with Secret Pricing Policies, it invariably means they assess each customer as to how far their leg can be lifted on a case by case basis.
    I have a similar view. I'm happy to know what list price is, if anyone knows. I dont need to know what discount was got for the demo / promo.

It's not so much secret pricing as the fact I was asked not to share the quote because it wasn't a normal situation, which I didn't and I won't.

My reply regards list price was also based on the fact I explicitly stated please don't ask the price and gave the reason why. Yet you and Chaz didn't have the decency to respect this and still pushed for a price, so if you want it so bad then go find it your bloody selves.!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information