. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    I would keep clear of penny washers as you have a good chance of crushing through the lacquer!!
    cheers
    Andrew
    As I said Form or Function - a lot depends on how soon you want to get playing. As for the price of the 3 hole plate - supply and demand. But I agree with Andrew, I personally would not like to funk it up.

Thanks, but the original plate is 94.5mm. i.e. The one you have pointed towards is too short. I have some other musicman 6-bolt plates that are also too short - very frustrating.

RDochert,

Welcome to the forum, have you got the plate in the pic to hand or is it off the web?

Do you think you could take a paper rubbing of the holes well enough and send it to someone and/or could get the hole centre distances worked out?

I'd be happy to make the CAD drawings for you as it wouldn't take long, if you've got a plate like what is in the pic you could scan it and send that for the shape and so on, there is a decent pic here: https://reverb.com/uk/item/2271296-m...plate-musicman

and some really good pics here: http://www.realvintage.it/archivio/stingray79eng.html
    .Me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Lee, Yes - I have a plate. I was originally just enquiring to see if this was the sort of work someone think was worth taking on. But now that I have had some many offers of help, I have taken the plate off its existing bass and I will attempt to scan it tomorrow, at work.

Hi
    If you have an original plate don't bother scanning it just draw around it with a fine drawing pen /fineliner. I wasted a lot of time scanning pickguards to image trace when a simple outline would have done the job.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Andrew, By the time I had read your response, I had already scanned it. I think it scanned ok (see attached) or do you still think a outline drawing would be better? When I then print off the PDF file and compare it with the actual plate, it is a perfect match (to the level I can measure it).

The additional picture file is my attempt to add dimensions, but it is not to scale.

Let me know what you think. This is all new, but very interesting, to me. (Hopefully it is to others, and I am not just annoying everyone?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeckPlatev003.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	26907  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Raymond
    The pdf + the dimensions should be enough for someone to make cutting file. A line drawing makes it easy to image trace and saves some time with the software (i'm a bit slow learning these programs as I was brought up pre computers and tend to forget how i've done things with software) This might be a daft question but do you have a cnc machine or are you after someone machining the part for you ?
    cheers
    Andrew

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi,

I've just finished making something similar-ish - a control plate for a telecaster, but to accommodate Hofner style switches/pots etc.

Pretty straightforward process - client sent me the original Hofner control plate to scan/trace - fag packet sketch with good measurements would have sufficed, he wanted it pretty exact so sent through the original. Once that was traced, the over-sized outline profile to cover the body cavity was created and approved.

Sketch below shows original Hofner style plate (blue), body cavity to cover up (red), outer profile (black).

After that it was a case of cutting it out of 2mm 6082 aluminium and giving it a polish - the latter probably took the longest time...

It's one of those easy jobs that's a bit of a double-edged sword... will still take you three or four hours to do properly, but you'll be lucky to get £25 for doing it..!

Wal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele-DWG.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	26917 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele-cut.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	26918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele_fin.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	26919

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Its funny Wal because i was getting ready to send you a msg about this thread as it looked right up your street lol.

Wow, I don't think I've seen 6082 polished as good as that before, would love to know your workflow for those results!

Raymond have you found someone to make this for you or will you be making it yourself by hand?

It would be pretty easy to make if you've got a bench belt/disk sander, lots of people use this method of printing 1 to 1 on sticky back paper and using the print as a template to make the part, or I can draw it up for you if you have no other offers...
    .Me

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >Wow, I don't think I've seen 6082 polished as good as that before, would love to know your workflow for those results!

Mostly tears, Lee. Hot, salty tears.

Heh. Start with a sisal wheel and brown compound, then a quick run on the belt sander fitted with a felt belt, then on a colour stitched wheel still using brown compound and finish with softest wheel and blue compound.

It's a faff. Especially using a pillar drill..!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information