. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi,

I know nothing about metal working (as you are about find out):

Is this something that is reasonable to ask a hobbist/machinist to make as a one-off (see attached picture)? It is roughly 10cm by 5cm by 0.15cm. Although this one in the picture is chrome plated, I am not bothered about it being plated. The 'real' plate also has a logo embossed on it, but I do not want that, as I don't want it to be a rip-off.

The background to this is that this is a neck plate for a discontinued bass guitar (Musicman Stingray Pre Ernie Ball). The original neck plates don't come on the market very often and when they do, they are expensive. So I want a temporary steel plate, in the same size, that I can use on a vintage guitar that I am assembling, until an original plate comes on the market that I can afford. So the replacement would need to functionally work - it just would not look like a true original.

I hope that makes sense? Let me know what you think and thanks for any help in advance.

Regards

Raymond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neckplate.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	26885  

Perfectly sensible request to make - post it in the RFQ section with a bit of a drawing - better if you can offer a DXF file as well. You might want to specify the material otherwise you'll likely get people offering between mild-steel and aluminium - on second reading you mention steel but any grade/stainless? (the latter being much harder to machine).

EDIT

Though to be honest for a one-off, easier to cut to rough-size and finish off on an abrasive belt.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RDochert View Post
    Hi,
    The background to this is that this is a neck plate for a discontinued bass guitar (Musicman Stingray Pre Ernie Ball).
    That is one nice bass - a guy I worked with some years ago had one and I borrowed it (and sometime him playing it) several times when I needed some serious slap 'n tickle on a track - the best funk machine I ever heard.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If you had an accurate DXF (or some form of file format suitable for getting accurate dimensions from), it should be a quick job for somebody with a CNC plasma table, followed by a quick buff on a linisher to clean up the edges.

Failing that, it could be done by hand. Biggest issue is the relatively large holes in 1.5mm sheet may cause the sheet to twist if you're not careful.
    It's the kind of shape you could do just with a hacksaw/jigsaw, followed by a file.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

The main thing about the neck plate is the accuracy of the bolt holes, the outline does not have to be super accurate. So you could put the guitar on a piece of paper and mark the hole positions, the outline could be just a guess based on the pic you provide (which is easily found on t'interweb).

However is it form or function you seek, because the function of the neck plate is to stop the bolts (or screws) tearing through and repair washers (penny washers) would do that job until you found that hen's tooth of a pre Mk4 plate. But it certainly wouldn't look pretty

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Finally a question related to my job. As a guitar maker I would recommend that you cut that out of a piece of steel 1.5 mm should be thick enough with a fine tooth piercing saw. For a one off it is overkill to do it on a cnc. It would take about 30 mins to cut that out. I would make sure that the edges especially underneath are rounded over as screwing the neck down can put enough bend in the plate to crush the laquer. Most of those basses were ash which was quite hard but if you have an alder one it's a lot softer. I checked out the prices on the web and the parts dealers are taking the piss with the prices they are asking. Good luck.
    Cheers
    Andrew

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the great waldo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    The main thing about the neck plate is the accuracy of the bolt holes, the outline does not have to be super accurate. So you could put the guitar on a piece of paper and mark the hole positions, the outline could be just a guess based on the pic you provide (which is easily found on t'interweb).

However is it form or function you seek, because the function of the neck plate is to stop the bolts (or screws) tearing through and repair washers (penny washers) would do that job until you found that hen's tooth of a pre Mk4 plate. But it certainly wouldn't look pretty
    I would keep clear of penny washers as you have a good chance of crushing through the lacquer!!
    cheers
    Andrew

Yes - the plain-old washers was an option I was thinking of. Good to hear that you also think that is an option. Thanks.

Yes - that was my thoughts as well. I was thinking there must some rubber washers that might do the job. However, I am going to head down the route of seeing if I can get an equivalent made before I seriously look at using washers. And thanks for advising that it was too small a job to justify using a CNC - I thought that might be the case, but I didn't know what would be involved. Lastly the only original plate I have found, for the year I need, is advertised at $180. So you are right in that respect as well.

You could try this
    https://tonetechpro.com/guitar-parts...in-finish.html.
    It looks like there's enough there to trim down to size. You just have to check the spacing on the main 2 screws. If you're drilling out these plates make sure you've got them well clamped down (basic metalwork!)
    Cheers
    Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information