. .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02342.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	26931
    I did the lithophane a couple of years ago and only just got round to making it up in a frame.
    It makes a difference when lit.

Name:	DSC02343.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	471.1 KB 
ID:	26932

The frame outside is clad in mirror perspex. It is extruded and it cuts a lot different from cast, it seems to be softer and stickier to the cutter. I virtually cut it underwater, spraying it liberally with a mix of 75% deionised water, 25% isopropanol and just a splash of rinse aid.

Well that is one present done, almost - I need to take it to a clean area and dust it inside.

MC&HNY

Rob-T

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Rob,
    That's very nice work, there are so many different ways to use a CNC router!

On that note, I've made good use of my machine to make an 8-shaft table-top weaving loom for my wife this Christmas. I wonder what other members are making for their loved ones?

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Made something else with that extruded mirrored perspex. Cripes on a Bike! does that stuff clag your cutters like shit on a blanket. First attempt with 60deg 3 flute stuck on so much I nearly lost the cutter.

Name:	DSC02346.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	535.0 KB 
ID:	26933

Would using a thin silicone oil as a cutting fluid help I wonder??? It's pretty inert and slippy stuff. I seem to remember my late father using when doing something on his watchmakers lathe.

I have tried all sorts of things- I am fine with cast perspex, it seems to be harder and the chips can be blown away (single flute - as open architecture as you can get). I am seriously thinking of some sort of water tray to enable me to use more of a flood coolant.

Anything oily just kills the adhesive on double sided tape.

Anyway no more cutting till next year, I need to tidy up my workspace.

Rob-T

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post

Anyway no more cutting till next year, I need to tidy up my workspace.

Rob-T
    I know just how you feel! I haven't actually finished Christie's loom in time for Christmas but had to assemble what I'd done so far and wrap it up yesterday. Then it was time to tidy up the chaos I'd created in my rush to finish as much as I could. Merry Christmas Rob and to all our readers.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thread Information