. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's just a different way of thinking. I can speak all day why i don't agree with that. Time passes, one learns and decides for himself. There is no wrong or right. Just a different way to do same thing, depends on person's preference.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Wow! I did not know what I started here but it's probably been more informative that you think.

I do woodwork for a living and use quite a lot of machinery but none of it is controlled by computers etc. A CNC Router is what I'd like to start with and see where that leads.

The Windows PC/Laptop was something I need because CAD leans towards Windows more than it does Apple MAC (Mac is all I had). I wanted a laptop so it would be easy to take into my workshop and use with a CNC machine. I am grateful that "JWZZCNC" pointed out that I may or should consider an Ethernet-based controller over USB (really good tip!).

I have looked at the UCCNC software and UC100 and don't know if the UC100 is Ethernet compatible (need to look at that) but I expect there will be a UC controller that is. The downside of the UC licence is it is linked to one controller (A Utube owner's review stated that). It may not seem like a real problem to most but it could stop you from experimenting with other general software if you buy a specific controller. I guess UCCNC software with a controller would do just fine for me but I've not got to that stage just yet.

I have not looked at the DDCSV control yet but will so thank you for that "Byron". I guess both Byron and JWZCNC have had enough experience in CNC to find what suites their needs, I'm still on a learning curve. Thank you for all the helpful advice and leads. Mark

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCmec View Post
    Wow! I did not know what I started here but it's probably been more informative that you think.
    We all love a good spat once in a while ;)

I have looked at the UCCNC software and UC100 and don't know if the UC100 is Ethernet compatible (need to look at that) but I expect there will be a UC controller that is. The downside of the UC licence is it is linked to one controller (A Utube owner's review stated that). It may not seem like a real problem to most but it could stop you from experimenting with other general software if you buy a specific controller. I guess UCCNC software with a controller would do just fine for me but I've not got to that stage just yet.
    I believe there are three UCCNC compatible ethernet controllers; the AXBB-E, the UC300eth, and the UC400eth. For a simple build, I'd recommend the AXBB-E. The other two require a little bit more involved wiring and usually need a breakout board to go with them, whereas the AXBB-E takes care of all that for you, so you just plug stuff into it and off you go.

Yes, the licence is linked to the S/N of the controller - but wait! I don't think you've got the whole picture. The licence is for the software (UCCNC) to talk to the controller - but you don't have to use their software, these boards are also compatible with Mach3 and Mach4 (but not, so far as I can tell, LinuxCNC). There is nothing to stop you using the other software - the licence key just activates THEIR software (UCCNC) for YOUR device (UC100). Its in this format so that people who run multiple machines have to purchase a licence for each machine (which I think is fair enough).

The kicker is that Mach3 or Mach4 also needs a paid licence - and its substantially more than the cost of the UCCNC licence (£200 or £300 vs £60 if I recall correctly?). There is also the consideration that UCCNC has a very good reputation at the moment, and there is a reasonable number of people swapping over to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    We all love a good spat once in a while ;)

The kicker is that Mach3 or Mach4 also needs a paid licence - and its substantially more than the cost of the UCCNC licence (£200 or £300 vs £60 if I recall correctly?). There is also the consideration that UCCNC has a very good reputation at the moment, and there is a reasonable number of people swapping over to it.
    Thank you for that "Andy".

Although I do woodwork for a living and CNC Router could fit into that, it's not an essential tool/machine at the moment just something that could develop into one. It would start out as a leisure/hobby/work machine interest.

So if I get this right a UC controller is really no different (with some exceptions) to other controllers in principle. But If say I have Mach3 I would pretty much find it is a necessity to connect to my PC/Laptop because I'd need to use the UC100 controller to connect through a USB port? StoneyCNC are selling the UC100 for £117.85, UK that is.

From what has been said about a USB connection being possibly unreliable (especially with a laptop) I think maybe the UC300ETH-5LPT controller might be better if I go for UCCNC Software simply because of the cost of matching the licence with a controller, I'm just thinking out loud (thinking the UC300EHT might be better long term. I understand what you are saying about the wiring but if I do some of a CNC build myself I'm going to have to learn quite a lot about wiring anyway.

The cost of the UC300EHT controller is about £145 from the same as above, but then from what I gather I'd need could/will need a breakout board too £??? and software (Mach3 or maybe UCCNC). Say UCCNC costs around £60 for the software licence (at a guess that is) so I'm guessing as a bundle it could cost around £250 for the Controller, Breakout board and Software. I guess what ever you look at if you are thinking of using comprehensive software to control and manage a CNC machine then £250 is going to be pretty much a base figure.

I thought a UC100 controller did everything but maybe not I sure need to look into this in more depth. The replies and comments are all helpful but it's a lot of inforation to fit together. I'm going to look more into an Ethernet controller, maybe a UC controller that has Ethernet connection. Also how a UC controller would link to the breakout board, then drivers and stepper motors. I mean if I'm planning on using Stepper motors and a Spindle with VFC would I need a breakout board with a UC300 to connect to the stepper motors if I used say Closed loop Stepper Motors and HBS57 Drivers?

Mark

Mark

So if I get this right a UC controller is really no different (with some exceptions) to other controllers in principle. But If say I have Mach3 I would pretty much find it is a necessity to connect to my PC/Laptop because I'd need to use the UC100 controller to connect through a USB port?
    Yes the UC100 is USB only and will only work on a Windows PC. The Control Software can be either UCCNC which is there own software or Mach3/4. In which case you use a Special Plug-in piece of software supplied by UC100 manufacturer so it works with Mach3. (To be honest, it's the same for UCCNC but it's built into the software installer)

From what has been said about a USB connection being possibly unreliable (especially with a laptop) I think maybe the UC300ETH-5LPT controller might be better if I go for UCCNC Software simply because of the cost of matching the licence with a controller, I'm just thinking out loud (thinking the UC300EHT might be better long term. I understand what you are saying about the wiring but if I do some of a CNC build myself I'm going to have to learn quite a lot about wiring anyway.
    Not always and this is the problem to some degree, it's fine on some and not on others. Quality of the USB cable plays a big part as well as the PC setup.
    Where as Ethernet is pretty much rock solid and doesn't get interfered with by outside factors like electrical noise etc. Ethernet is the way to go without a doubt.

The cost of the UC300EHT controller is about £145 from the same as above, but then from what I gather I'd need could/will need a breakout board too £??? and software (Mach3 or maybe UCCNC). Say UCCNC costs around £60 for the software licence (at a guess that is) so I'm guessing as a bundle it could cost around £250 for the Controller, Breakout board and Software. I guess what ever you look at if you are thinking of using comprehensive software to control and manage a CNC machine then £250 is going to be pretty much a base figure.
    Yes, don't cut corners on the controller or the breakout board because it's the heart of the machine. Cheap nasty breakout boards can be the bain of your life and cause frustration to the point you'll go bald or if folicly challenged like me want to scalp your self with a blunt kitchen knife.

I thought a UC100 controller did everything but maybe not I sure need to look into this in more depth. The replies and comments are all helpful but it's a lot of inforation to fit together. I'm going to look more into an Ethernet controller, maybe a UC controller that has Ethernet connection. Also how a UC controller would link to the breakout board, then drivers and stepper motors. I mean if I'm planning on using Stepper motors and a Spindle with VFC would I need a breakout board with a UC300 to connect to the stepper motors if I used say Closed loop Stepper Motors and HBS57 Drivers?
    With the Exception of the AXBB all the others will need a breakout board to make life easier and safer when it comes to wiring.
    The main difference between the controllers other than the connection type mostly boils down to frequency speed and the number of I/O (inputs/outputs). The wiring for steppers, e-stop, etc is essentially the same for all of them including the AXBB. How they connect to the breakout boards (BOB) will depend on the BOB you use but usually, it's either via a cable or by directly plugging the controller into the BOB via purposefully built-in header connections.
    The prices for BOB's range from £5 to £250 and with varying degrees of features and quality. Often you get what you pay for but it also depends on your needs, machine usage, and environment to which suits you best.
    My advice here is that if you intend to use this machine for business or serious hobby then don't cut corners on the BOB. Remember the controller is the heart but the BOB is like the arteries and if they are blocked because it's slow and rubbish then just like in real life the performance will suffer and it will probably die at young age.!

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    I understand what you are saying about the wiring but if I do some of a CNC build myself I'm going to have to learn quite a lot about wiring anyway.
    Totally agree. As Jazz points out, the AXBB isn't really any different from the other controllers; it just has the BOB built in. Heck, it probably has exactly the same components as the UC300eth or UC400 hidden inside, its from the same people after all.

I recommend looking at it because its quite an economical way to get a respectable controller with a decent BOB in one shot, and will work nicely for a 3 axis CNC. I personally use a UC300eth with a UB1 BoB from CNCroom because I wanted a 6 axis controller not 4 - its a bit of a step up as such, but you pay the price. I think my UCCNC Licence, UC300eth and UB1 came in around £300 delivered.

Or maybe I only need this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	689.3 KB 
ID:	27071
    https://www.cncroom.com/interface-ca...7b9jgm13v1aj83

PS: Just noticed that with the above the UCCNC Licence is included but not with this package.

Or maybe I only need this?

Name:	CNC1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	689.3 KB 
ID:	27071
    https://www.cncroom.com/interface-ca...7b9jgm13v1aj83

PS: Just noticed that with the above the UCCNC Licence is included but not with this package.
    That is a good setup and you won't go wrong. Just buy the license separately. You won't need the UD1-U board as you will have more than enough I/O from the UB1 for even a complex router setup..

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    DDCSV cnc controller . Have the earlier version on my machine and still working like a champ. I am tired of saying how much trouble was Mach 3 + Windows. Check on internet there is enough info and videos on Youtube.
    Have not had time last year , so dont know about the latest if any actual changes.

PS. I see you have purchased already the laptop. Justifying buying computers instead of concentrating on the CNC machine needed. I guess once you finish what you are doing and remember what i said, you will start understanding what i was saying

Had a bit of time to look at this today, it looks interesting. Not quite sure this is the way I want to go at this moment but it certainly looks like it could be very useful. I have not looked at all the aspects of the Control, just watched some of the Utube video. It sounds, like you have had quite a lot of experience with CNC machines before obtaining the control so know what you both want and need. It's good that you prompted me to look at this. Without your input I would not know that there are things like this out there.

Thank you for the post Boyan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pN3F04nhZc&t=5s

Name:	D.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	27080

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information