. .
    Hi All,
    I'm looking into to getting a cnc machine and have been looking at the Stepcraft 840. Please can anyone out there with a stepcraft machine let me know if their happy with their purchase as regards Setup/reliability/ease of use etc.

I have up to three K to spend.
    . I am a hobbyist who will be working with soft/hard woods and some lite aluminium work. (I like the idea of being able to use it as a 3D printer)
    This type of software will all be new to me as well.

I would appreciate any other suggestions anyone has for the 1K-3K price range.

Many Thanks

Alex C.

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    I'd PM JazzCNC and ask what specs he can build for you in that price range. I'd wager it'll outperform the stepcraft by a decent margin.

Personally i'd take £100-300 of that budget and buy a dedicated 3D printer off the shelf - something like a Creality Ender 3. Don't try to combine the two things into one device - they require different things, its like buying a lorry because you need to move things around, and then taking it on track days because you also want a fun car. The 3D printer needs high accelerations for a lightweight print head and doesn't need to absorb any cutting force. The router needs to be big and beefy to cut through things and to stay as rigid as possible, typically at a much slower speed.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    I'd PM JazzCNC and ask what specs he can build for you in that price range. I'd wager it'll outperform the stepcraft by a decent margin.

Personally i'd take £100-300 of that budget and buy a dedicated 3D printer off the shelf - something like a Creality Ender 3. Don't try to combine the two things into one device - they require different things, its like buying a lorry because you need to move things around, and then taking it on track days because you also want a fun car. The 3D printer needs high accelerations for a lightweight print head and doesn't need to absorb any cutting force. The router needs to be big and beefy to cut through things and to stay as rigid as possible, typically at a much slower speed.
    Andy thanks for the advert and I agree 100% with you regards the 3D printer. Some things are not meant to mix.!

Alex, I'll PM my details when you have been cleared because at the moment it doesn't allow me to PM. If you give me a call I'll see if I can help. I can certainly build you a much better machine than the step Craft.

CNC machines and 3D printers at first glance may seem similar as they use similar technology. However the optimisation of the technology for the different applications is poles apart.

Hi, Thanks for your help. It's a bit of a minefield to the uninitiated.

Alex

Thread Information