. .
  1. #1
    I have a 3040T with a movable gantry and 800w VFD. The machine was described as large in Amazon and I am quite happy with all but the less than rigid extruded aluminium table which just vibrates too much. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I would like to machine some aluminium but mainly wood and plastic i.e. Acrylic/HDPE of upto 200mm square by 40mm thick. Use of a spoil board is not necessarily important.

    I've seen this link https://mbcreates.com/cnc-router/cnc...e-bed-upgrade/ my machine is very similar but I think just a smaller scale, without Linear rails and the 2.2kw VFD.

    I consider my options are below as I have no access to any other engineering machinery although I was a semi-skilled engineer/toolmaker/machinist for 18 years up to 14 years ago when I changed career:

    1. Get a piece of Aluminuim 30mm thick cast tooling plate cut to the size of the table and bolt it down to the useless extrusion or the frame
    2. Get a piece of steel plate, mount that to the frame and then mount either a T-Slot board from Vacuum tables or a piece of thinner aluminium tooling plate
    3. Get a piece of steel t-slot plate and mount it direct to the frame.

    I know I am never going to improve the machine greatly but I also have the problem that I live in a flat with no external building suitable for use with anything bigger. I would love one of those Desktop HAAS machines but I'm not sure I can get them in the UH and would probably be horrendously expensive.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by davitc View Post
    I would love one of those Desktop HAAS machines but I'm not sure I can get them in the UH and would probably be horrendously expensive.
    You basically do have a HAAS because they are using pretty much the same cheap Chinese machine in a fancy steel box with a fancy controller which they'll no doubt charge a fortune for.! . . . . The best controller in the world can't make these machines any better so yes you have a HAAS.

    Regards the bed then I'd go with the 30mm Ali tooling plate and let the machine drill matrix of holes which you then tap and use for fixturing. Dump the T-slot altogether.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You basically do have a HAAS because they are using pretty much the same cheap Chinese machine in a fancy steel box with a fancy controller which they'll no doubt charge a fortune for.! . . . . The best controller in the world can't make these machines any better so yes you have a HAAS.

    Regards the bed then I'd go with the 30mm Ali tooling plate and let the machine drill matrix of holes which you then tap and use for fixturing. Dump the T-slot altogether.
    Thanks @JAZZCNC

    It would prob be the cheapest option and I don't want to lose too much Z height.

    I made an enclosure for it already with some 8mm thick poly-carbonate doors and removable side panels, PC cooling system for the VFD, LED work lamps off amazon and even a solenoid controlled valve for the misting system, it's been a nice project so far :-)

    I will prob look at having both M8 and M6 tapped holes and maybe some holes for location pins, oh my it may resemble a tea bag by the time I'm finished :-)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by davitc View Post
    It would prob be the cheapest option and I don't want to lose too much Z height.
    To be honest 20mm will be strong enough here's a little machine I built few years ago that uses a 20mm tooling plate and it's plenty strong enough.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0588.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	27082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0797.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	488.3 KB 
ID:	27083

  5. #5
    You could even thread mill the holes using the machine!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. machine bedding options in Australia
    By Slixxor in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-10-2016, 08:35 AM
  2. PC Upgrade Options?
    By Chaz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31-08-2016, 04:53 PM
  3. Linear bearing upgrade options?
    By Joe in forum Rails, Guideways & Bearings
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-03-2015, 09:22 PM
  4. advise options needed on laser upgrade/add on
    By george uk in forum Laser Machines & Building
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-07-2014, 10:54 PM
  5. Machine rebuild time - options...
    By CraftyGeek in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 19-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •