. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
    So can you tell me the settings under plugs and pins to get the spindle to spin. Better yet take a screen shot of the page.
    No, it's not that simple I'm afraid. Every controller or breakout board is slightly different. This is why I keep repeating we need more info or pics to identify what you have.

under config.- ports & pins - spindle set up, I need to know what values to enter to get the spindle spinning. Maybe you can send a screen shot.

I'm sorry, pics of what?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
    I'm sorry, pics of what?
    pics of the controller and breakout board in your control box.

The pins and settings are different for different boards with several ways to control the spindle so first need to know how yours is being controlled and by what.?

For instance, we don't even know what spindle you have or how it's being controlled or by what. If it's just a router then you probably cannot control the speed. If is a router and speed can be controlled then It will be using some form of speed controller and we need to know which.

Without more info we cannot help you.

Ill get that to you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cintrol box.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	27094
    I don't know if this picture is going to go thru. If it doesn't I could e mail it to you.

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    We need actual photos you've taken of the wiring and electronics on your machine. Everyone's setup is unique, so to figure out what settings you need we need to trace each wire and see where it connects to. A stock photo doesn't help with that!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    We need actual photos
    To be honest, Andy, I believe (from random google/eBay searches) that might be the best we can expect. That image shows a USB to 25W D-Type that plugs into "Black Box", and "Black Box" has enough circular connectors on the back to drive the Spindle, axis-steppers and take some sensor input. The front panel integrates a control pot and switches for the Spindle and E-Stop for the rest.

Adverts on eBay for similar 6040-style machines with similar "Black Box" configurations refer to CNCUSB software and I'm wondering if this, and the image of the USB->25W means that this is a Chinese knock-off of the veritable UC100 interface, then the "Black Box" is just a BoB/Stepper Driver board and somewhere there's the spindle controller. Other "Black Boxes" present the control plate from the spindle controller into the same "Black Box".

OP: Have you a link to where you bought this from? (I'm trying to find links to any form of documentation), are you brave enough to remove the cover of the control box? to take internal photos? (desperate hope for sensible silk-screening on the PCB to get an idea).

To give you some understanding where we are on this, From the one picture that you've provided we know you have a 25W interface into your control box, and a speed controller integrated into that control box. A standard parallel 25W interface (which that one picture suggests) has 12 output pins that could be used - but 6 should already be assigned to give you X/Y/Z control that I understand you have running and working. Next, the Spindle controller has to be configured to support an external input to turn the spindle on/off - I'm guessing that's used with the wiring from the front panel switch; and it needs to be configured to take an external analogue input - and we need to resolve how the rotary control on the front of the panel is wired - and whether you can substitute that with an analogue output from the internal BoB of your control box. This is very likely an electrical wiring issue (to enable spindle/speed control) rather than a ports/pins query (that comes after the electrical side is resolved).

What software came with the machine? (just like the applications, and drivers) and what documentation was included - pdf's on memory sticks?

But here's a key take-away from this reply: You need to help us, in order that we can help you - I'm more tolerant than some here (and less tolerant than others), and I'm getting frustrated with this thread. Please help us, or you'll probably find this thread quickly dies.

Right, I've polished my crystal ball and predict from the image you've provided that the controller is labelled Z-DQ, lower right?

Have a look at the following.

https://hackaday.io/project/6776-304...g-machine-mods

And see if any of that is relevant.

EDIT:

I've re-read the earlier posts - part of what OP is asking for is to be able to read the RPM - not, as most of us use, setting the RPM from Mach3. Jazz did spot this with his dialogue on spindle encoders.

If OP just wants manual control for the spindle, but with an indicator for the spindle RPM, then you need to figure a way to attach a rotary encoder (this can be as simple as a slotted/reflective opto-coupler mounted near the spindle with a bit of reflective tape on the spindle) - to generate a 1-pulse per revolution signal. From here, either an external device to display the spindle speed or determine an input pin on the controller PCB, and wire that signal to that input, such that Mach3 can read this signal state. If you can get as far as this then I'm quietly confident that there's Mach3 experts here that can advise on getting this to display spindle RPM (I stopped using Mach3 a while ago and only ever used it in a display-commanded RPM, rather than display-actual RPM configuration)
    Last edited by Doddy; 19-01-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Right, I've polished my crystal ball and predict from the image you've provided that the controller is labelled Z-DQ, lower right?

Have a look at the following.

https://hackaday.io/project/6776-304...g-machine-mods

And see if any of that is relevant.
    Doddy none of this is relevant because he says right at the beginning he's ripped out the original controller.

Gene: That photo doesn't really help it's not clear enough and ideally it would be better if you took the lid off and took a photo then we are not guessing what's inside. The problem is the Chinese use many different boards in same models and until we determine exactly what you have inside it's all just guesswork. Even providing a link to where you bought it from doesn't mean what they show is what you have in the control box. So pics of what you actually have in front of you is only way can be sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information