. .
  1. #1
    So having got the thing sort of working I set about checking out the axes and sorting a few problems with the stepper drivers (enable iffy). This involved turning the PC on and off a few times and changing/saving the configuration in UCCNC once or twice, but no messing with owt else on the PC. Just thought I'd cracked the last issue, turned the PC back on and UCCNC won't start, gives the error "screen file not found". Anyone got any ideas on this please?

  2. #2
    Just re-install the software it should sort it.

  3. #3
    Cheers, I'll give that a try, but I'll need to find the config file and save that first - I don't want to have to re-learn all the stuff I sorted this evening.

  4. #4
    Kitwn's Avatar
    Lives in Exmouth, Australia. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 311. Received thanks 36 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Based on time-consuming experience I highly recommend buying a spare hard drive and an external docking station capable of cloning. Not expensive and more reliable in my experience than software on your PC this allows you to remove the original drive to a safe place while you experiment to your hearts content on the clone. Makes turning the clock back to yesterday as easy as saying "Hermione Granger".

    Using this has been a life-saver for all sorts of computer activities and I have a box of cloned drives for my LinuxCNC machine, laptop and desktop computers.

    This isn't the exact model I have but it's the same sort of thing. Just make sure you know for certain which is the 'source' and 'destination' drive slot

    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...n-with-cloning
    Last edited by Kitwn; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:58 PM.
    Engineering is the art of doing for ten shillings what any fool can do for a pound.
    Wellington.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Doddy's Avatar
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 587. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Using the internal flash on the thin-client? It'd be worth keeping an eye on the performance of the internal storage in case that's worn (though I'd expect the OS to report something). You talk of turning it on/off - I'm expecting that is through a controlled shut-down and not just power switch?, might be worth googling if the version of CE (I think I saw a post that said you'd installed CE) you're running is compatible with the flash storage and is fully syncing device writes before shutdown.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Using the internal flash on the thin-client? It'd be worth keeping an eye on the performance of the internal storage in case that's worn (though I'd expect the OS to report something). You talk of turning it on/off - I'm expecting that is through a controlled shut-down and not just power switch?, might be worth googling if the version of CE (I think I saw a post that said you'd installed CE) you're running is compatible with the flash storage and is fully syncing device writes before shutdown.
    Well the flash shouldn't be worn as the thin client I'm using now is a brand new Dell 5010 (27 off the Bay of fleas) - the Hp is running the Audio precision - and I'm using the original Dell image albeit slightly trimmed down - and yes, I am logging off before shutdown, though Win 7 CES seems to be rather better than XP in terms of delayed write from the little I've played with it - or is it just that it doesn't give so many notifications I wonder??.
    Just had an email from Balazs @ CNCdrive, from what I understand the "screen file not found message" is slightly misleading, it's the profile that's got damaged/is missing He's also mentioned that there's a profile auto-backup utility in the plugins section which sounds like it's well worth using.
    Last edited by Voicecoil; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Based on time-consuming experience I highly recommend buying a spare hard drive and an external docking station capable of cloning. Not expensive and more reliable in my experience than software on your PC this allows you to remove the original drive to a safe place while you experiment to your hearts content on the clone. Makes turning the clock back to yesterday as easy as saying "Hermione Granger".

    Using this has been a life-saver for all sorts of computer activities and I have a box of cloned drives for my LinuxCNC machine, laptop and desktop computers.

    This isn't the exact model I have but it's the same sort of thing. Just make sure you know for certain which is the 'source' and 'destination' drive slot

    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...n-with-cloning
    Nice idea, but since the thin client I'm using to run the machine has only 16GB of flash, I can do the same with a USB stick. I might get one for the big machine at home though.

  9. #8
    Kitwn's Avatar
    Lives in Exmouth, Australia. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 311. Received thanks 36 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    Nice idea, but since the thin client I'm using to run the machine has only 16GB of flash, I can do the same with a USB stick. I might get one for the big machine at home though.
    I forgot you're using a wee little computer for this. The above strategy was very useful when I was working out how to upgrade from the conventional LinuxCNC setup to the new 2.8 beta with the ability to do dual-motor homing. It's a great boost to your confidence to know that whatever you do to mess things up the known working machine is still safely there and available to be resurrected simply by swapping a hard drive.
    Engineering is the art of doing for ten shillings what any fool can do for a pound.
    Wellington.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. My UCCNC probing screen and macros
    By A_Camera in forum CNCdrive (UCCNC)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-01-2019, 04:19 PM
  2. NEW MEMBER: From Oz - ex of Cardiff anf lost :P
    By Carlb1058 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 04:57 AM
  3. File upload problems - attachments file extension support !
    By Swarfing in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM
  4. Lost my balls!!!
    By danielbriggs in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 19-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •