. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    IMHO the real problem is the linear rails / the lack of/ . Best would be to upgrade to Chinese square rails Hiwin type. 20 size best but even smaller size is ok. Like 15 or 12 and use 3 carriages instead of 2, as they are very cheap. Especially the gantry and the Z, its a must if you want to have any resemblance of a proper machine.

If you can not find an easy way to do that, better fabricate what brackets you need for a new machine and sell that one. If money is a problem, don't dilute your attention on pointless parts. You need basic structure with ball screws, square rails and a controller

I have seen recently such a machine like yours / and have had worse/ and honestly 0.8kw spindle is enough for it. Anyways the spindle is a good buy, could be moved on a new machine
    Was looking at some HGR20-1000’s in the BST automation store for my side rails... but for the life of me I can’t figure out the differences between the different carriage options.

I’m also wondering if adding a better cross piece between the gantry uprights is going to reduce twisting and for mounting the linear rails. I’m definitely going to ditch the C-Beam linear actuator because although it stiffened up the Z axis compared to the original one, it’s currently pushing the spindle too far from the gantry for my liking and is wasting X axis travel (my gantry is the Y axis... yeah, I know... I’m weird lol).

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Don't know if your using mach3 or not but for anyone else who does then there is a setting in the spindle settings to do just this. You can set a delay for both ramp up and ramp down before G-scode gets processed. Saves messing around with editing G-code
    Thanks Dean. I use LinuxCNC but I'll have a look to see if there's anything similar.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

... and honestly 0.8kw spindle is enough for it. Anyways the spindle is a good buy, could be moved on a new machine
    I think one of the common design considerations for a 2.2kW water-cooled spindle is not so much the mechanical power, but more the ER20 collet size (20mm tool shank dia) afforded by the larger body. 0.8kW tend to top out at ER11 - which covers a 1/4" shank but not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I think one of the common design considerations for a 2.2kW water-cooled spindle is not so much the mechanical power, but more the ER20 collet size (20mm tool shank dia) afforded by the larger body. 0.8kW tend to top out at ER11 - which covers a 1/4" shank but not much more.
    Yeah... when I wanted other sized collets for my Dewalt router I had to order them from the states and got hammered with import duties... just because I wanted 3mm, 4mm, 6mm and 8mm collets to give me some flexibility... and then I ordered the wrong 6mm collet so had to reorder as just returning the wrong one to the states costed more than actually buying another one.

At least I will be able to buy ER20 collet sets in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    Was looking at some HGR20-1000’s in the BST automation store for my side rails... but for the life of me I can’t figure out the differences between the different carriage options.

I’m also wondering if adding a better cross piece between the gantry uprights is going to reduce twisting and for mounting the linear rails. I’m definitely going to ditch the C-Beam linear actuator because although it stiffened up the Z axis compared to the original one, it’s currently pushing the spindle too far from the gantry for my liking and is wasting X axis travel (my gantry is the Y axis... yeah, I know... I’m weird lol).
    I said it in other thread : I buy from these guys https://es.aliexpress.com/store/822038 12 and 15 size. Have not bought from them 20 size , but their rails are very good quality and price. Custom size also, contact them. make sure to buy the long carriages.

BST is good for original HIWIN but last time i checked / 2 years ago/ the Chinese rails they were selling were not very good. While the ones from the link above are top notch

Dont rush discarding the C beam. Take a look at my design for a DTG printer base using that C beam and said linear rails+some 3d printed elements:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c beam + hiwin 12  1.PNG 
Views:	298 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	27220 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c beam + hiwin 12  2.PNG 
Views:	274 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	27221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c beam + hiwin 12  3.PNG 
Views:	264 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	27222

This is 12 size Hiwin square, which would happily move 0.8kw spindle. I would say even 2kw spindle if 3 blocks.

But this is not my point. Maybe 15 size and use the C beam like a L shaped gantry. I have never tried it but that's the fun of it, you can figure it out for yourself.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    There is only few differences HGR is the rail followed by the rail width then length. HGR20-L1500
    HGH20CA is Narrow carriage
    HGW20CA is wide flanged carriage.

Hi-win do offer other types with different heights and preloads etc but most of what you see for sale in China are common preload and carriage heights.

Give me the dimensions of the machine ie: Profile lengths for X and Y axis and I'll see what I have kicking around that could possibly send your way. I've got several second-hand but in good condition linear rails and also some new 15mm Hi-win bearings floating around. I've also got a few ballscrews floating about.

How is the gantry made up it's hard to see from that picture and I've seen them build these things several ways, plus you said you'd upgraded it. Just trying to determine if it's strong enough and best layout for rails. etc.

Regards the Z axis and C section profile and it sticking out a little far then I wouldn't worry too much because if you change to linear rails then the gantry end plates will probably need changing so you can design them so the gantry is offset back a little to reclaim the lost travel.

Give us better pics of the machine from different angles so can see better how to beef it up.

I said it in other thread : I buy from these guys https://es.aliexpress.com/store/822038 12 and 15 size. Have not bought from them 20 size , but their rails are very good quality and price. Custom size also, contact them. make sure to buy the long carriages.
    Boyan,
    I notice that both BST and your recommended supplier Hong Yi sell both the 'miniature' MGN15 size rails and the larger HGR15 (same size as Hi-Win). The overall height from the base of the rail to the top of the carriage is only 16mm for the miniature compared to 28 for the standard size. Strangely enough the larger size works out slightly cheaper from Hong Yi for the 400mm set I'm looking at for my planned Z-axis upgrade. 15mm seems to be the largest size available in the miniature range and the smallest in the standard sizes so this is the only size where the confusion might occur.

I'd advise anyone looking at 15mm rails to check exactly what you're buying. No doubt the miniature size has practical advantages for some projects but it is not as robust as the standard size for heavy load applications. Those initials make all the difference!
    Last edited by Kitwn; 29-01-2020 at 02:25 AM.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

For a Z axis the larger rails can even be an advantage. Increases the plate spacing for a typical Z axis design which makes it easier to fit the ballscrew and nut between the plates. Even then, I had to machine some recesses for the ballnut on my own machine. Extra stiffness was a bonus! Depends on your Z design, of course, but worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    For a Z axis the larger rails can even be an advantage. Increases the plate spacing for a typical Z axis design which makes it easier to fit the ballscrew and nut between the plates. Even then, I had to machine some recesses for the ballnut on my own machine. Extra stiffness was a bonus! Depends on your Z design, of course, but worth thinking about.
    I'm not sure I'd want the 15mm miniature version on any router machine. A laser cutter, 3D printer or plasma maybe but not something with cutting forces to resist. Not with the full size version costing the same anyway.

I can see the advantage of using 20mm or larger on the Z to increase the plate spacing. By sheer luck my own 20mm fully supported round rails and 1610 ballscrews fit perfectly between two flat plates which makes things easier. Not that I'm using that as a reason to recommend round rails!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information