. .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Boyan,
    I notice that both BST and your recommended supplier Hong Yi sell both the 'miniature' MGN15 size rails and the larger HGR15 (same size as Hi-Win). The overall height from the base of the rail to the top of the carriage is only 16mm for the miniature compared to 28 for the standard size. Strangely enough the larger size works out slightly cheaper from Hong Yi for the 400mm set I'm looking at for my planned Z-axis upgrade. 15mm seems to be the largest size available in the miniature range and the smallest in the standard sizes so this is the only size where the confusion might occur.

I'd advise anyone looking at 15mm rails to check exactly what you're buying. No doubt the miniature size has practical advantages for some projects but it is not as robust as the standard size for heavy load applications. Those initials make all the difference!
    Thats why i laugh when someone says here on forum, he will buy the stuff and figure it out later. I make 3d model of what i make, then piece by piece simulate the assembly and still so normally a mistake or 2 happens.

I say : Figure it out earlier, buy rails and screws. Receive them. Check what is received. Then compare to drawing and continue the build.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Thats why i laugh when someone says here on forum, he will buy the stuff and figure it out later.
    This is the most common mistake I find people make, that and buying stepper driver kits.!. . . . If only they would search the forum first.!

If I'd been an avid reader of MYCNCUK before I ever set out to build my first plywood and allthread router a few years ago, the machine I have now would not look anything like the machine I have now!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I said it in other thread : I buy from these guys https://es.aliexpress.com/store/822038 12 and 15 size. Have not bought from them 20 size , but their rails are very good quality and price. Custom size also, contact them. make sure to buy the long carriages.

BST is good for original HIWIN but last time i checked / 2 years ago/ the Chinese rails they were selling were not very good. While the ones from the link above are top notch

Dont rush discarding the C beam. Take a look at my design for a DTG printer base using that C beam and said linear rails+some 3d printed elements:

Attachment 27220 Attachment 27221 Attachment 27222

This is 12 size Hiwin square, which would happily move 0.8kw spindle. I would say even 2kw spindle if 3 blocks.

But this is not my point. Maybe 15 size and use the C beam like a L shaped gantry. I have never tried it but that's the fun of it, you can figure it out for yourself.
    One thing I’m thinking of building is an engraver for spherical objects. I bought an Eggbot yonks ago to check out engraving on a sphere but it’s still in its box.

What I need to engrave for a long term project of mine is two hollow hemispheres. They are part of an Apollo navigation system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95735BB1-72E2-4007-ABB1-BE2DB0548075.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	27228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A927751D-A2B8-458D-857A-8E743D8BF5EA.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	27229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F393789D-04B8-429F-957D-D148E57D0935.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	27230

The reason the hemispheres are hollow is because there are motors and sensors INSIDE them. There is a central disc with an axle going through the middle of it and a hemisphere on either side giving the appearance of a sphere. The disc then has axle point top and bottom and it then mounted in a C clamp and that is powered too... then the C clamp is rotated to give the third access.

I worked out all the control circuitry but the one thing that is holding me up is engraving the hemispheres. Both of them are half black and half white making it even harder.

Anyhoo, my point is I think a heavier guage Eggbot might do the trick... emphasis on the “mighty.

Thats why i laugh when someone says here on forum, he will buy the stuff and figure it out later. I make 3d model of what i make, then piece by piece simulate the assembly and still so normally a mistake or 2 happens.

I say : Figure it out earlier, buy rails and screws. Receive them. Check what is received. Then compare to drawing and continue the build.
    I always plan out my builds before anything... the only exception is why I bought this spindle first as the machine will be built around it and it’s better to have an idea of sizes and wiring/plumbing requirements as I’ve never had a water cooled spindle before.

Also there is the learning factor. Learning what I need to do with the VFD (another thing I haven’t had before) surprised me when I read the manual and it clearly says to NOT use a contactor or it could damage the VFD. I’d watched people on YouTube use contactors in their build and would have made a big mistake if I hadn’t looked at the manual.

I know what I don’t know... and I’m missing a lot of info regarding the electrics at present. I will have to trawl through the site and look up as much info as I can... I already know I will be using the serial comms on the VFD for Mach3 to control and display spindle speed... but I’ve only found a 10 year old driver for the HuanYang... is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    This is the most common mistake I find people make, that and buying stepper driver kits.!. . . . If only they would search the forum first.!
    “Hmm instead of rails perhaps I could save some money using drawer slides.”

Seriously... I saw that once and even I, of the limited CNC knowledge, laughed my socks off at that

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    If I'd been an avid reader of MYCNCUK before I ever set out to build my first plywood and allthread router a few years ago, the machine I have now would not look anything like the machine I have now!
    I saw and believed lots of internet content that told me how great my first MDF router would be. Then I built it. Then I found this forum. Curiously, my mk2 machine looks a whole lot different as well! Learnt a lot on the way, though.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    surprised me when I read the manual and it clearly says to NOT use a contactor or it could damage the VFD. I’d watched people on YouTube use contactors in their build and would have made a big mistake if I hadn’t looked at the manual.
    What you basically must NOT do is put any form of switch between the VFD and the three motor cables going to the spindle or unplug the spindle with the VFD running.

If you do you might hear a big bang.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    What you basically must NOT do is put any form of switch between the VFD and the three motor cables going to the spindle or unplug the spindle with the VFD running.

If you do you might hear a big bang.
    Double up on that several times over!! NOTHING should come between the VFD and the spindle. Only ever use the spindle ON/OFF control wiring to stop the spindle if you ever want it to start again. I wouldn't even cut the mains input to the VFD with the spindle running, though that might be my clinical anxiety kicking in

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    “Hmm instead of rails perhaps I could save some money using drawer slides.”

Seriously... I saw that once and even I, of the limited CNC knowledge, laughed my socks off at that
    Got one better than that look at this.? . . . Din rail for rail.!! . . . . . A lesson in how to waste $900 . . .This should be made a Sticky on how NOT to do it.!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information