. .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I forgot to say, heat is also the reason why your hand drill can be awesome when new and yet limp as a dishrag when 10 years old. Replace the magnets though and the power goes back up.

A lot of diy repairers replace the windings of weak power tools and are confused when it is still just as weak. “I mean, it can’t be the magnets. They are ‘solid state’ parts after all”.

This is why you confuse me Jazz. You profess to knowing what you are doing and then are making noob errors like that. I’m not saying this to be an ass, I’m saying it to educate, like you educated me regarding water cooled spindles.

Take the info in the way it was meant, as I took yours and actually acted on it. Don’t know exactly when I will get my spindle though as all flights out of China appear to have be stopped at present.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    LOL. Don’t take it to heart son.

I take it you don’t know thermal effects on magnets.

You may be an expert at CNC stuff but I’ve been playing and working with electronics and electro mechanical stuff since the 70’s. Just because it doesn’t seem damaged doesn’t mean damage isn’t occurring.
    Yes, I do know the effects but I also know that these effects are not taking anything away from the motor in terms of performance or longevity that is of any concern. I know this through the experience of using them not through doing the maths.! . . I'm 99% of the time hogging aluminum which would quickly show any power loss and it's been doing this for a long time now so I'm not concerned about longevity because if it died tomorrow it's paid for it's self many times over.

But like I say Crack on and build something overly complex if it makes you feel better.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes, I do know the effects but I also know that these effects are not taking anything away from the motor in terms of performance or longevity that is of any concern. I know this through the experience of using them not through doing the maths.! . . I'm 99% of the time hogging aluminum which would quickly show any power loss and it's been doing this for a long time now so I'm not concerned about longevity because if it died tomorrow it's paid for it's self many times over.

But like I say Crack on and build something overly complex if it makes you feel better.!
    Some time, just get your abused motor (that you said you forget to cool at times or not bother to cool) and measure the power draw... then get an identical new spindle and check the power draw on that.

I was TRYING to help YOU in this case, by warning you of what you are doing to the long term condition of your spindle.

But you obviously know better. Next thing you know, everyone will be calling you Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    But you obviously know better. Next thing you know, everyone will be calling you Trump.
    I'm not saying I know better. I know exactly what you are saying and the consequences of heat.!
    What I'm saying is what I know to be true from my quit extensive experience of these spindles over a long period of time.

Also just for the record and I've said it many times on here so you can check if you don't believe me. I run my VFD so it shows current not RPM so I can monitor tool wear.
    So I know exactly how much it's dropped over the years and yes I agree with you it as dropped from when it was new, but not to any degree that it's a problem.
    Because I only ever cut aluminum and pretty much the same grade which is Cast aluminum and same cutters then I've been able to monitor the drop better than most can. So In six years it now pulls roughly 5.6A instead of 5A. It's an 8A spindle so the losses are more than acceptable to me.

Now I've said enough so crack on.!

Well it looks like this is the wrong year to upgrade my CNC with parts from China (or at least until the Coronavirus burns out). I ended up getting a refund for my spindle order.

Maybe once China starts their factories up we will be able to resume. I wouldn’t order anything of Aliexpress at the moment and I’m limiting my order on eBay to Europe only. Even that is affecting my orders for my Warthog cockpit project. A bunch of parts on Farnell are warning about long lead times. All because the 21st Century version of Spanish Flu hit the centre of Chinese manufacturing in Wuhan.

This just goes to show how the world is dependent on China for a bunch of things.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information