. .
    Hi - I'm trying to learn my way around fusion 360 -

I'm looking to engrave some text on a flat plane - I'm trying to insert a .SVG image as this seems to be the easiest way to do it -

I've used Inkscape and Visio to insert a text field - type what i want and then import the .SVG file - my example is attached

apc2.svg

What I get is just a blank window - is there some formatting that's required if i've created an SVG with text images ?

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I've tried to look at that file you attached but it seems to be empty, Not sure what's happened there.

You could try adding your text directly in F360 - there's a text tool available in the sketching menu. Start by creating a sketch, then just add your text where and how you want it.

I know that F360 is capable of importing SVG format but I can't help as I've never needed to do that.

Cheers for that - yes the file looks empty in fusion - but it had some text in it - now you've shown me where text is on sketch - that helps a lot :-)

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Good luck - I'm a great fan of F360 but I can't say that it's immediately intuitive to use! Well worth investing the effort, though.

Good luck with Inkscape,its the least intuitive piece of software I have ever tried to use.I find F-engrave a huge amount easier to deal with for graphics.

I tried opening your file in Adobe Illustrator but it contains very little... I have attached a screen grab of what it looks like.

As an aside... I have a large vinyl cutter that I use SVG files with, for some reason if I use the 'Export' function in Illustrator to create SVGs, the resulting files do not appear properly in my cutting software (Signworks Pro). If I simply use 'Save as' and elect to save the file as an SVG everything is fine and I can open it and cut with no problems. I'm only telling you this in case the software you are using also gives you 2 ways of creating an SVG... As an export and as a Save As. Maybe try a different way of creating the SVG.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVG.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	27219

maybe it's how I'm creating the SVG file then ;-)

Does 'Andrew' tell you that the file has something in it?

Hi there - I think I've worked out my SVG problem - just me not really understanding the SW - as I read up on it i realiesed I had to use path trace to make it work

Thread Information