. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for that Jazz
    The machine is not huge 1m x 0.5m so I should be able to keep the wiring reasonably short and well screened. I've got some sealed 3d printed covers for the drivers on board and will also be fixing down cable connections with some hot glue or silicon(not sure which is better but I think hot glue as you can get it apart if need be)

Cheers
    Andrew

Would there be a problem running the 48v power supplies to the motors using 1 multicore cable for tidiness? Or would 3 separate 2core wires be better?
    Cheers.
    Andrew

You're better using separate pairs for each driver rather than daisy chaining them but I can't see a problem with having those separate pairs bundled up in one sheath. Be aware that thermal considerations may mean using larger conductors in a multicore than 'free' wires with some air round them, and you'll pay more for it as well. Remember that electricity has no sense of aesthetics and a bundle of wires tied together with old old string will perform just as well.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hi Kit
    Thank you. I did think that running the power in one multicore might lead to thermal problems. Separate cables would I think also be more flexible. I'm wondering if I need 1mm or 1.5mm wire for the power side of things. I'm no electrical genius just learning by reading and asking but I think you can't beat advice from somene who has actually done something !

Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Kit
    Thank you. I did think that running the power in one multicore might lead to thermal problems. Separate cables would I think also be more flexible. I'm wondering if I need 1mm or 1.5mm wire for the power side of things. I'm no electrical genius just learning by reading and asking but I think you can't beat advice from somene who has actually done something !

Cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by the great waldo; 31-01-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: wheres the delete button?

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Would there be a problem running the 48v power supplies to the motors using 1 multicore cable for tidiness? Or would 3 separate 2core wires be better?
    Cheers.
    Andrew
    Difficult to know without seeing the layout of the machine and control box position etc. But If it was me then I would run a single cable from the control box close to the motors and into a terminal box, then split off from there to each motor. This way only got 1 x 2 core wire running through the machine.

I'm wondering if I need 1mm or 1.5mm wire for the power side of things. I'm no electrical genius just learning by reading and asking but I think you can't beat advice from somene who has actually done something !
    You don't really need to be a genius because there are plenty of Cable sizing calculators and web sites explaining correct sizing etc available online if you are unsure. Like this one.
    https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cable...selection.html

However, 1mm will work fine for your application with short cable lengths.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 31-01-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Hi Jazz
    Thank you for your input; I'd assume I should use a heavy guage connection from the control box power supply to terminal block/strip and then split off to individual motors from there with thinner wire.

Cheers
    Andrew

Ps thanks for the link to the cable selector. I makes things much clearer
    Last edited by the great waldo; 31-01-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added a bit

Hi Jazz
    Thank you for your input; I'd assume I should use a heavy guage connection from the control box power supply to terminal block/strip and then split off to individual motors from there with thinner wire.

Cheers
    Andrew

Ps thanks for the link to the cable selector. I makes things much clearer
    Yes need to size cable according to total current draw.

Ok thanks.
    Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information