. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Kern View Post
    The more you pick at this the more it shows up on the current list and thats what you hate
    No, Stan, we don't hate it, some of us really like what your posting, me included. we don't mind seeing it on the trending list all the time if it's an active topic. What we don't like is seeing Multiple threads on the same topic knocking other posts off the list. Some of whom may never get seen because people don't go into those areas so become out of sight out of mind.
    Also, those who are in need of assistance often don't get the help they need because people like me who do help haven't got time to trawl the forum seeking out those who need help. The trending list gives them a fighting chance of being seen because it's where we can look quickly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Let me try to make a positive suggestion. We do see, not very often but sometimes, posts on the forum which in effect say, "Look at this and see how clever I am!" Great - I can skip over those as fast as the next man because I haven't learnt anything except that a clever person can do clever things. Now, there are some really interesting threads on the forum which show exactly how, step by step so that others can learn and follow in their footsteps, someone has achieved something. That's something we can learn from. Knowing how to get from a pencil drawing, say, to a toolpath that can cut those shapes on a CNC router might well be of interest. Personally, I've always done it with a scanner (up to A4) or, very occasionally, with a camera, on the grounds that $2500 a pop for a digitising tablet is a bit out of my budget. Or four of them end-to-end.

I'm playing with some 3D digitising software at the moment that takes a bunch of photographs and turns them into a 3D solid model. I might even write up something here if I can get to the point of getting reasonably repeatable results with comments on stuff I learnt on the way. How about doing something like that for the 2D digitising process? Especially if it doesn't start with "write a cheque for $2500!" I jest - but there must be something interesting going on in the process before you get the pretty output!

not sure what you mean " but there must be something interesting going on in the process before you get the pretty output!" I print my project or have a print shop print it for me , then i trace it (digitize it) and load the file into vetric aspire 10.0 check the vectors and do some node editing if required and create a toolpath for cnc or no toolpath for the co2 laser and cut it
    i also work with 3D i have a good printer 600mmx600mm and a 3D hand scanner , love all this tech stuff
    but i use the drawing boards all the time , at least to start with
    And I hope i don't come across blowing my horn , believe me i am not i am just posting some projects i do showing how easy it is
    but this is not for everyone as its costly like the cnc and the co2 laser .
    woodworking has gone high tech and costly

Now I really am confused! You have an electronic drawing in some format, you pay someone to print it full-size, then you manually digitise it with a high-quality (i.e. expensive) digitising board, then you import that into Aspire. I must have missed something here.

Quite coincidentally, earlier today my wife asked me if I could produce an outline drawing of some paper templates she was using but scaled up by a factor of 2. As it happened the largest fitted on to A4 so I scanned it to a bitmap which is possibly equivalent to your own starting point. Then I imported the bitmap straight into Vectric Vcarve (which I believe to be a cut-down version of Aspire so I would guess that Aspire can do anything Vcarve can do). It took at least 30 seconds to convert the bitmap to a vector outline although one of the pieces took a couple of minutes longer to node-edit the outline as the scan wasn't quite so clean. I now have a vector drawing which I am about to export into something that will let me print it at the size I want (as Vcarve isn't very clever when it comes to printing designs to a given size) as my wife wants to cut out larger paper patterns. However, I could equally well have generated a toolpath to take to the router to cut, say, plywood templates (and I have done this quite often in the past - my wife comes up with these little projects for me!).

But the idea of printing, manually digitising, and then going back to the Vectric software? That's why I thought that there must be something special about the digitising process. I'm certainly not blowing my own horn either - it's so simple and obvious that I just assumed that everyone did it that way and that I had missed something.

Doesn't take anything away from your finished products which look great. It's just that I can't understand why there is the manual stage in the middle!

well all this hurt, its your site and you all have bullied me into quitting.
    i will not be blowing my horn and showing off anymore and posting one subject
    I thought members would enjoy seeing different techniques and get ideas of there own from what i attempt
    but a few run this site , if i knew how to delete my posts I would
    I am done, you won

Sorry if I've caused offence, Stan. The point I was trying to make was that you are clearly doing things differently to the way that, for example, I do it. You've clearly spent time, effort and money developing the way you work but it's not clear from what you have said how you use it and what the advantages are. I've never played with a digitising tablet and all I know is what I read in the link posted earlier - which rather assumed that you knew what you were looking at already! For example, I've never used any software digitising/tracing software that is both easy to use and reliable - is doing it manually an improvement? How do you overcome distortion in the paper prints that you are tracing from? There's a bunch of interesting questions in there and showing just the output doesn't answer them! As an example of what I mean, I'm guessing that you see the regular emails from Vectric showing off a number of projects carried out using their software. However, if you follow up any of them, you usually get to a description of how the guy did what he did which is useful information that might be applied to other projects as well.

Stan, I don't think any of us have bullied you, Neale, is only questioning the process and why you do it how you do. Which I must admit I tend to agree with him in that it does seem a very expensive way to do something which can be done easier.

As for those of us, including me, who objected to your Multiple threads only do so because of the fact we understand how the forum is used by other users and how much the trending list is used as the first point of call for people viewing or those seeking help. Your posts were clogging the list up and possibly denying others seeking help from getting it when needed.
    Only today I've helped people who needed advice ASAP who if you had posted 8 or 10 threads like you was doing would have got knocked off the list and possibly missed out getting the help needed.
    This isn't bullying it's respectfully asking you to help others by changing how you post your information. Is it a form of running the forum, well yes I guess you could call it that, but we ask for the sake of others so they get help when needed. This is certainly not bullying IMO.

I'm sure many liked your posts, me included and I would really like it if you stayed, but not if you are unwilling to help others by simply changing how you post. Because as an English man, this is just not Cricket Old Sport.

Take care if not.!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Kern View Post
    well all this hurt, its your site and you all have bullied me into quitting.
    No one bullied anyone, you ignored the quite reasonable suggestions to keep it to one thread and continually Spammed the forum with multiple posts about exactly the same thing with only slight variation.
    I read one of your posts with interest but when you added a further 10 about the same thing I had to go rooting around in the individual subject sections to find the other interesting things and genuine requests for help which your completely unnecessary and frankly incredibly selfish behaviour had knocked off the list of recent posts.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

11. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Hi,

Thought it was a good point for me to step in and do some moderating, below is how Stan's arrival to the forum unfolded for me and what I've done next to help keep the forum a great place for all.

I can confirm Stan is telling the truth about first arriving at the forum and trying to register as his personal self, the anti spam system's I've got in place stopped him at the front door and rejected his email address, with that Stan then got in touch with a friend and acquired an alternative email address he could use for registration and sign up to the forum.

He then went on to post a new member introduction here: Hi from Stan in Ontario Canada and jumped in with starting a few threads about what he gets up to showcasing his work with the logic trace software and products.

Whilst doing this Stan had also emailed me requesting support regarding his failed sign up and asked if I could make things right for him and how he originally intended, this info was available at the time in his new member introduction and the discussion went on a little after a welcome and hello from some of you but ended quite quickly with Stan being all fixed up and ready to get stuck in to the forum some more.

One of the things Stan asked me to do was add a Login Trace sub forum in the cad/cam section, with the idea being he wanted to make multiple submissions all focused around the same software and thought it best to have them all in the same relevant place. I agreed and moved his threads over to that section for him.

Discussions took place over 3 different threads and talked about how you felt about Stan's submissions and advice was given and received on suggested etiquette.

Stan then contacted me again to ask if his post's are ok with me, I didn't get time to reply and in the mean time the discussions above continued to move on.

My thoughts for completeness

Having looked at everything that has been said in those discussions I'm quite happy that things have been balanced, though I did note that some assumptions have been made and we all know what can happen sometimes when people start assuming things...

I also don't feel it's fair that an individual member should be held accountable for the way in which another member use's the forum and its features, I fully appreciate the frustrations mentioned as arising from Stan's actions but I don't feel its acceptable for any of us to ask him not to continue in the way he was just because we prefer it that way.

Lets not forget that the Trending Now list is nothing more than a simplified, unfiltered Latest Posts list. When I added this to the home page it was with the intention of it being a "quick view / at a glance" type of widget and not a direct replacement for the built in forum search system, the All Activity, New Posts or the Unanswered Threads quick links.

If you really want to customise your experience don't forget the Advanced Search page, you can use it to drill down and find the content your most interested in, you could even bookmark the results page so that search criteria becomes your "go to" on first visiting the forum.

Like I say, I use the trending now list in pretty much the same way as described by some of you, I live in the moderator control panel most of the day but I do visit the home page for a quick glance 2-3 times a day. However I'm also very aware that discussions move quite quickly some day's so its quite easy for that list to be come redundant if I want a full list of all threads that have new posts I haven't read yet.

The point i'm trying make is that asking him to stop just because that's the way you would prefer it, isn't really cricket, especially when we've got more than enough choice and/or options available to us if we truly prefer a customised viewing of whats new on the forum.

We are a big group of people all living under one roof, remembering to accommodate each other is what makes it work well.

What I've done to help

Stan:
    I have merged all of your logic trace related threads into one thread and given that thread a new title here: Stan Kern's creations and work examples using the Logic Trace software

I would ask that you please keep all of your post's of a similar nature in that one thread, please feel free to use it like an on going log or journal of your work, when you post something new to that thread it will still show up to everyone else.

Everyone else:
    I've moved relevant post's to this thread your reading now, I've also renamed this thread to: Stan Kern and his recent activity on the forum as a new member!

and moved it to the General section, the post order has changed, there was a few posts made in Stan's new member intro and I've moved them here as well, as such M_C now owns this thread and its open again if you would like to continue discussing...

Thanks for your patience and consideration.
    .Me

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, this is only his latest forum for his output, he's been posting all the exact same things using one or more other names on other sites including CNC Zone.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information