. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

I have taken some inspiration from the gantry design in your machine. What I've done differently is:

• It is far from done and many details are still missing. One gantry side is still missing completely.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.PNG 
Views:	500 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	27394
    • Y-axis linear rails are side mounted to the 160x80 item profile. This allows a larger work area and the ball screws can be mounted to the same piece of aluminium plate, with a little bit of machining.

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	286 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	27385 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.PNG 
Views:	292 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	27393 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.PNG 
Views:	261 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	27396
    • Gantry side plate is on the inside and an 80x80 item profile is mounted on the outside of the plate. The 80x80 item profile is mounted to the X-axis 200x80 item profile with a back plate and a bottom plate.

Name:	4.PNG 
Views:	549 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	27387 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	290 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	27386 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	259 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	27388 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.PNG 
Views:	292 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	27389
    • The X-axis ball screw and linear rails are all on the front side. With some machining on of the aluminium plates, I am able to squeeze everything in the with custom made ball screw nut brackets.

Name:	6.PNG 
Views:	365 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	27390 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.PNG 
Views:	340 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	27392
    • The Z-axis is made stiffer with side plates bolted onto the same plate to which the linear rails and ball screw is bolted.

Name:	7.PNG 
Views:	277 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	27391 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.PNG 
Views:	254 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	27395

Please let me know what you think! Are there any significant improvements I could do to make it better?

The main issue I see is the Z-axis and the unnecessary weight of it.!

You don't need or want the motor and ball-screw on the front plate because you are just moving around dead weight which will affect the z-axis negatively due to high inertia. Those 180W servos won't handle that weight, especially if your planning on using a large spindle or ATC spindle. You will also need a brake to stop it dropping when unpowered.

Ideally, you want a light but strong front plate with no excess baggage to affect inertia. The ball-screw could easily go on the rear plate and be shorter, the motor could mount to plate coming off slightly longer rear plate. This longer rear plate will also allow more spacing of the bearings which will stiffen things up a little.

The other thing I don't like is the ball-screw on the front. If it was me I'd mount it at the rear out fo the way of chips etc and have the ball-nut mount to the plate which the Z-axis motor mounts onto. Don't worry about the ball-nut not being in the so-called theoretical ideal central sweet spot of the front plate because in real-world the difference isn't noticeable. However, weight in the wrong place very much does affect the machine.

The main issue I see is the Z-axis and the unnecessary weight of it.!

You don't need or want the motor and ball-screw on the front plate because you are just moving around dead weight which will affect the z-axis negatively due to high inertia. Those 180W servos won't handle that weight, especially if your planning on using a large spindle or ATC spindle. You will also need a brake to stop it dropping when unpowered.

Ideally, you want a light but strong front plate with no excess baggage to affect inertia. The ball-screw could easily go on the rear plate and be shorter, the motor could mount to plate coming off slightly longer rear plate. This longer rear plate will also allow more spacing of the bearings which will stiffen things up a little.

The other thing I don't like is the ball-screw on the front. If it was me I'd mount it at the rear out fo the way of chips etc and have the ball-nut mount to the plate which the Z-axis motor mounts onto. Don't worry about the ball-nut not being in the so-called theoretical ideal central sweet spot of the front plate because in real-world the difference isn't noticeable. However, weight in the wrong place very much does affect the machine.
    Thanks man, Ill revise my design and start a build log to collect more feedback!

Do you still recommend that the linear rails stay on the Z-axis front plate? It would be significantly less weight to move if they are on the Z-axis rear plate, but not as stiff of course. Stiffness could however be increased with some aluminium strips.

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NordicCnc View Post
    Do you still recommend that the linear rails stay on the Z-axis front plate? It would be significantly less weight to move if they are on the Z-axis rear plate, but not as stiff of course. Stiffness could, however, be increased with some aluminum strips.
    If I'm honest I don't find there's a lot of difference between them. I used to build all my machines using rails on the front plate and yes it is slightly stronger but it does have some drawbacks. The weight is one but the other is tool height or should say gantry clearance because of the tool length sticking down below the gantry.

With the rails on rear plate, you can raise the tool above the bottom of the gantry allowing for longer tools or a lower gantry clearance if you don't need the height for the material.
    The machine in the video as the rails on the backplate.

If I'm honest I don't find there's a lot of difference between them. I used to build all my machines using rails on the front plate and yes it is slightly stronger but it does have some drawbacks. The weight is one but the other is tool height or should say gantry clearance because of the tool length sticking down below the gantry.

With the rails on rear plate, you can raise the tool above the bottom of the gantry allowing for longer tools or a lower gantry clearance if you don't need the height for the material.
    The machine in the video as the rails on the backplate.
    Thats a good point with the tool length. Although I am struggling to think of any kind of tool with that length other than some extremely long drill. Also the distance between the tool and the rear plate in the y-axis and x-axis direction limits the work area in that case. And as you said, it comes down to if the material requires a larger gantry clearance.

I really think the extra stiffness with the rails on the front plate may be worth it. I also think that I will need the gantry clearance for material at some point and less long tools.

Don't forget that if you need a longer tool it's because you're cutting into a deeper piece of material which means you have to lift the tip of the tool that much further above the workpiece. An extra 20mm needed on the tool length implies a possible extra 40mm of Z-axis lift to start the cut.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thats a good point with the tool length. Although I am struggling to think of any kind of tool with that length other than some extremely long drill.
    I've built a lot of machines that are used for mold or model making for wind tunnels etc in blocks of high-density foam or modeling clay and they use long tapered endmills that are 100mm or longer so, in this case, the rails on front plate design won't work as it cannot lift the tool clear of a tall block of foam.

These machines are designed at the outset for a specific purpose to do a specific job or jobs using similar materials within a known size range. The problem is that if you want an all-round machine to cut all materials and with larger material size range then there will always have to be some kind of compromise unless you take a radical approach and design outside the box so to speak.!

If you are using conventional build designs, which you are, then the machine will be compromised in some area it's as simple as that and there's no getting around it.!

If you want to explore outside the box then you can have a machine that will cut the complete range of materials without any compromises on cut quality and material size range other than the cutting area will be a little less in long-axis direction for the same size machine. I can be done but it's a completely different design that will cost more money.?

I've built a lot of machines that are used for mold or model making for wind tunnels etc in blocks of high-density foam or modeling clay and they use long tapered endmills that are 100mm or longer so, in this case, the rails on front plate design won't work as it cannot lift the tool clear of a tall block of foam.

These machines are designed at the outset for a specific purpose to do a specific job or jobs using similar materials within a known size range. The problem is that if you want an all-round machine to cut all materials and with larger material size range then there will always have to be some kind of compromise unless you take a radical approach and design outside the box so to speak.!

If you are using conventional build designs, which you are, then the machine will be compromised in some area it's as simple as that and there's no getting around it.!

If you want to explore outside the box then you can have a machine that will cut the complete range of materials without any compromises on cut quality and material size range other than the cutting area will be a little less in long-axis direction for the same size machine. I can be done but it's a completely different design that will cost more money.?
    Regarding the budget I have planned to stay within 6000-7000€. I have already bougth the 180W JMC servos and power supplys. What is left of the budget is then 5150-6150€.

I am definately going for an all round build. Requirements are:

- 180W JMC servos.
    - Work area of approximately 1000x1000x200mm. More is appreciated. Work area is needed for making furniture occasionally, custom signs etc.
    - The machine needs to be moveable later when I build my own garage. I am currently using my fathers. This is why I am opting for aluminium profiles instead of a welded frame.
    - Machine needs to be able to handle aluminium with good finish. The idea is that I could also potentionally use it to build a VMC later that would be for milling aluminium and steel.
    - ATC spindle would be nice but it is not a requirement if it means that my budget will not be enough in other more important areas. I am looking at Jianken ATC spindles but I am open for suggestions!

Have I shoot myself in the foot with the JMC servos?

From where should I buy linear rails, bearings and ball screws? I have heard good things about BST automation.

I have already bought the 180W JMC servos and power supplies. What is left of the budget is then 5150-6150€?
    Cannot comment on the JMC servo's as I've never used them but power is power and 180W isn't massive so you'll have to be mindful of the weight and mass your moving around.
    The budget is healthy though so definaltely possible to build a very nice machine.

The machine needs to be moveable later when I build my own garage. I am currently using my fathers. This is why I am opting for aluminum profiles instead of a welded frame.
    Well if that's your main reason then it's the wrong way to think because while Aluminium is lighter than steel the total weight of machine this size will still be heavier than 1 or 2 men can handle safely so you'll still possibly need some lifting equipment. So why not just build the best machine you can and don't worry about the weight too much.

- Machine needs to be able to handle aluminum with good finish. The idea is that I could also potentially use it to build a VMC later that would be for milling aluminum and steel..
    Again I wouldn't let this dictate the design of this machine because a VMC worth the effort requires building from steel and this machine won't machine steel to any great accuracy.

If it was me I'd look more along the lines of using this to make money and learn CNC then buy a used VMC that you can retrofit with new components. Or buy old Iron manual Mill and retrofit it to CNC. Both these options will be much better and far easier done than trying to build a VMC with a Router, no matter how well built it is.!

From where should I buy linear rails, bearings and ball screws? I have heard good things about BST automation.
    Yes BST is a great place to buy from. Fred is the most helpful and trustworthy Guy I've ever dealt with and I highly recommend him.
    Send him a message with your requirements asking for a quote including shipping and he'll get back to you quickly with a price. Mention Dean from Uk sent you and it may help with the price.

Cannot comment on the JMC servo's as I've never used them but power is power and 180W isn't massive so you'll have to be mindful of the weight and mass your moving around.
    The budget is healthy though so definaltely possible to build a very nice machine.

Well if that's your main reason then it's the wrong way to think because while Aluminium is lighter than steel the total weight of machine this size will still be heavier than 1 or 2 men can handle safely so you'll still possibly need some lifting equipment. So why not just build the best machine you can and don't worry about the weight too much.

Again I wouldn't let this dictate the design of this machine because a VMC worth the effort requires building from steel and this machine won't machine steel to any great accuracy.

If it was me I'd look more along the lines of using this to make money and learn CNC then buy a used VMC that you can retrofit with new components. Or buy old Iron manual Mill and retrofit it to CNC. Both these options will be much better and far easier done than trying to build a VMC with a Router, no matter how well built it is.!

Yes BST is a great place to buy from. Fred is the most helpful and trustworthy Guy I've ever dealt with and I highly recommend him.
    Send him a message with your requirements asking for a quote including shipping and he'll get back to you quickly with a price. Mention Dean from Uk sent you and it may help with the price.
    I will test the servos on my existing router that I built 10 years ago. That should give me a good indication of what they can handle.

What I meant by being able to move it was to get it out through the door. A welded steel frame that size wont fit out through the door haha! The weight itself is not an issue for the frame.

About the VMC, that is a good point. Maybe buying a manual mill and converting it would be the way togo. Also I know CNC, I am an educated CNC operator and has used many differeny CNC mills and lathes.

Thanks for the tip! Ill mention you and request a quotation! Thanks mate!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information