. .
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks kitwin , think that makes sense now , will connect one up to UCCnc and test.
    Looks like too late for replacement ballscrew from Fred , can any 1610 ballscrew work with the SFU nuts ? Or is the fit not right unless factory paired ?
    E.g if I get a gten machined one will it work with SFU ballnut from Fred...
    Last edited by CNCRY; 11-05-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Replacement ball screw ordered now, so will report back if SFU nut fits well.
    I tested the limit switches and all working as they should - they even light up:) Thanks Kitwin !
    The final piece of the wiring puzzle (until I add things!) is the spindle, while I'm awaiting delivery I want to make sure I know what I'm doing and this is the bit I've been avoiding:)

High level, do I connect up power and the spindle, then go in and set the PD* values , power down and wire up to AXBB-E , then go in and test?

Wiring
    The wiring I have based on CharlieRams thead is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	120 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	28148

Does this look correct ? In that thread Charlie couldn't get 0-10v to work so stuck with 0-5v. Any issue with just leaving the jumper on AXBB on so its 0-5V and setting PD070 to 1 to match the 0-5V control?

Also I'm thinking why is FOR/REV needed, I can't think of a use now for reverse so can I just link DCM and FOR ? Or will I lose the ability for UCCNC to turn on/off the spindle and e-stop?

I'm planning to use 1mm CY 4 core cable - seems like there are differing opinions here, but I'm trying to minimize cable size and 1mm should sustain a max of 8Amps rating and the spindle will use 5A or less in use as Jazz has measured, so gives so overhead for voltage drop etc.

PD Values
    This is where I'm a bit stumped, maybe the manual will explain more (probably not) but some blogs etc people set only a couple of values while the sticky here suggests loads.
    Is the sticky still correct as of 2020?
    Control:
    PD001/002 = 1
    Frequency:
    PD005 - 400
    PD004 - 400
    PD003 - 400
    PD006 - 2.5
    PD007 - 1.20

PD008 - 220
    PD009 - 15
    PD011 - 120
    PD014 - 5
    PD015 - 10

PD044 - 2
    PD045 - 3
    PD072 - 400.00
    PD143 - 2
    PD142 - 7
    PD144 - 3000, factory setting is 1440 ->3000 gives correct RPM of 24000 at 400hz

PD070 (optional to 1 for 0-5V rather then 0-10v)

Thanks !

One of the most important parts of installing your spindle is soldering on the connector properly. I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the 'my VFD blew up the first time I switched it on' complaints have their roots in this having been the first time the relevant person had soldered a plug onto a cable. This is a very expensive way to learn from your mistakes!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRY View Post
    High level, do I connect up power and the spindle, then go in and set the PD* values , power down and wire up to AXBB-E , then go in and test?
    Doesn't matter really you won't hurt anything either way. I just connect everything up then set the settings but I've fitted 100's and confident so just do what you feel most comfortable doing. There's no right or wrong way provided you DONT wire it when powered up.! (like I often do.)

You can actually power up the VFD without the spindle connected and enter the settings on the bench if you prefer, I often do this before fitting into the control box's on machines that are fiddly to access or I'm waiting for other stuff so do it to save time later.

Does this look correct ? In that thread Charlie couldn't get 0-10v to work so stuck with 0-5v. Any issue with just leaving the jumper on AXBB on so its 0-5V and setting PD070 to 1 to match the 0-5V control?

Also I'm thinking why is FOR/REV needed, I can't think of a use now for reverse so can I just link DCM and FOR ? Or will I lose the ability for UCCNC to turn on/off the spindle and e-stop?

I'm planning to use 1mm CY 4 core cable - seems like there are differing opinions here, but I'm trying to minimize cable size and 1mm should sustain a max of 8Amps rating and the spindle will use 5A or less in use as Jazz has measured, so gives so overhead for voltage drop etc.
    I find 0-10V gives better scaling and more accurate speed than 5V but both work ok and neither is very accurate but for most machines, a few 100rpm tolerance is perfectly fine.

Only connect FOR because these spindles are not designed to run in Reverse, they will run in reverse ok electrically but the collet system isn't designed to run in reverse and will unscrew it's self if put under heavy loads.

1mm/2 cable is perfectly fine provided you are not running very long lengths. Again I've built dozens of machines that are fitted with 1mm and never had any issues.
    Like KIT mentioned it helps with the spindle connector because space is very tight. Take your time here and use heat shrink on the pins so they can't touch. Also and this is THE MOST IMPORTANT make sure you fit a Cable strain on the bracket or Z front plate to hold the cable so it takes the pressure off the connector. This is THE single biggest reason why spindles blow up which ties in closely to KIT's poor wiring job advise, fail to do both correctly and it's just a matter of time untill BOOM.!!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Vfd powered up on bench to check settings, most were factory set, such as 400 frequency and earth pin connected to body .
    Quick question on pd007 , factory is set to 0.5 and 1.2 recommended , minimum frequency . Can anyone confirm this is correct as some forums etc use very different values here.
    Spindle is a gdz80 2.2
    Thanks

Vfd powered up on bench to check settings, most were factory set, such as 400 frequency and earth pin connected to body .
    Quick question on pd007 , factory is set to 0.5 and 1.2 recommended , minimum frequency . Can anyone confirm this is correct as some forums etc use very different values here.
    Spindle is a gdz80 2.2
    Thanks
    I use 1.2 on my 2.2kW 400Hz generic Chinese water cooled spindle.

Ignore the below sentence, I was remembering information about PD011, which is similar. Might still be the reason?
    I believe the variation on this one is between if its water or air cooled. You shouldn't run the air-cooled version below a certain RPM (i'll probably miss quote it here if I try to remember) without it overheating, so that might be the cause of the variation in recommendations you see.

One thing Jazz recommended when he saw my settings which were mostly coppied from the sticky, was to increase the acceleration and deceleration times, PD14=5 PD15=10.
    Last edited by AndyUK; 22-05-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks Andy, I'll stick with that value for now . I had pd014 /015 set to default of 60/90 ! I read somewhere that 015 is ignored unless you have braking configured but don't quote me on that ! I set pd014 to 10 to give a decent spin up time but may reduce in future if all goes well. Next to connect spindle !

No problem.

Been doing a little more reading, looks like PD007 and PD010 work together to define the minimum point on the V/F curve, so in essence it looks like its a way to tune how much torque you get from the spindle at different speeds? Either way, 0.5 or 1.2 should work to get you started.

It might just be paranoia, but when I turned on my spindle I had a second person around who knew how to isolate the power supply. Just incase I'd messed up one of those phases and was about to make the whole thing a bit sparky. I then checked the spindle body with a multimeter while it was running, and sheepishly tapped it with the back of my hand to make sure all was well.

Thanks Andy, I'll stick with that value for now . I had pd014 /015 set to default of 60/90 ! I read somewhere that 015 is ignored unless you have braking configured but don't quote me on that ! I set pd014 to 10 to give a decent spin up time but may reduce in future if all goes well. Next to connect spindle !
    PD015 is ignored if not using DC braking and if you have it too low then you will get over current errors because the spindle cannot stop in time to satisfy the time parameter and dumps a load of current trying to do this.
    The settings I gave Andy work for 99% of spindles, only if you have ATC will they need to be changed. Pd007 can be Zero if you like it won't hurt but just leave it at default.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

1 other question! my VFD has an earth terminal (pin9) next to motor UVW and 2 other screws not in the main block with earth symbol. I assume the pin 9 is for SPINDLE earth ? And the other one for incoming mains.
    Edit - sorted pin9 to connect both incoming earth and spindle earth ,(pin4)
    Plus shielding to separate star point outside vfd.
    Thanks
    Last edited by CNCRY; 22-05-2020 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fixed

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information