. .
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Good you've got that sorted.

I've recently installed an MDF baseboard with M8 threaded inserts at 100mm intervals. It seemed a sensible spacing at the time but I'd go for 75mm if I was doing it again. For reasons that don't matter here the holes are not quite aligned to the 100mm multiples on the X and Y co-ordinates of the machine which slightly complicates designing cutting layouts when I want to fix the blanks directly to the table rather than use clamps.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hi All, as promised a few photos of my first "completed" build. I've finally managed to make my first cuts, press go and leave my creation to cut something which is a great moment after starting from almost zero knowledge!
    First CAM lesson - Fusion 360 doesn't automatically add D.O.C so plunged the full 10mm and I had to reduce to 20% Feed Rate.
    Big thanks to everyone who has answered various newbie questions on here over the past 6 months, Jazz, AndyUK, Kitwin, Doddy, Clive and others !
    I still need to level my wasteboard and tram the spindle but It's not far off. My 100mm x 100mm square was 0.05mm or so out, but then the bit was a cheap chinese router bit which claimed to be 1/2" but wasn't exactly.
    Aside from sorting a better wasteboard I really need some dust extraction, especially testing on MDF.
    Are there any particularly good dust shoes people can recommend - I only have a small distance at the bottom of spindle as the mount is low so something compatible would be good.
    I have a basic metal drum type dust extractor - fine for normal woodworking but its loud and I doubt rated for continuous use. What do people use for quieter solutions?

PS. Don't judge me on my messy wiring:) Lucky I have a diagram
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA1.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	28348

Name:	aa6.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	28349

Name:	aa7.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	28350

Name:	aa8.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	28351

Name:	aa9.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	28352

Ryan

Well done Ryan, and let the fun begin. .....you'll kill lots of cutters and material at first but that's just part of the learning we all have to go thru.
    Don't be surprised if you have to keep tweaking the machine for a few weeks as it settles down. It's a good idea to run it for a couple of weeks or so then go over it top to bottom checking screws and connections etc, esp motor pulleys/couplers. (Dab a bit of paint on the shafts as a quick visual aid for slippage)

Now you just need to cut the Aztec calendar acid test and we'll let you in the Aztec Gang...
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Cheers Jazz - will give it a once over and remember I actually need to grease it..
    Ha, well I've managed to bend one bit so far - luckily a cheap one, but amazing how easily the 5.5Nm bends it like a twig..!
    Maybe I'll give the Aztec a go in MDF first - does that count:)

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRY
    First CAM lesson - Fusion 360 doesn't automatically add D.O.C so plunged the full 10mm and I had to reduce to 20% Feed Rate.
    All good stuff. Re. Fusion - are you sure?, I'm on the wrong computer atm to check but there's usually a flag on the 3rd-or-4th tab with something like a "multiple heights" or similar name that allows a DOC to be specified. From memory...bad memory.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRY View Post
    PS. Don't judge me on my messy wiring:) Lucky I have a diagram
    In my experience a lot of 'neat' professional wiring is actually messy wiring hidden in swanky looking trunking. Enjoy your new toy.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRY View Post
    Cheers Jazz - will give it a once over and remember I actually need to grease it..
    Ha, well I've managed to bend one bit so far - luckily a cheap one, but amazing how easily the 5.5Nm bends it like a twig..!
    Maybe I'll give the Aztec a go in MDF first - does that count:)
    Wait until 5.5Nm rips the material from the bed and throws across the room or you program 100 instead if 10 on a Z move and in blink of an eye it's punched a nice neat hole thru your bed(not that I've done this before.)

Regards Aztec and MDF then don't do a small one in MDF because it doesn't hold the detail good enough. You need a harder material that holds nice edge for smaller ones like 6" to get the full affect and see all the tiny details.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I've been cutting and engraving a few test pieces, mainly MDF or softwoods while I learn more on the CAD and tool-paths. And remembering to zero Z after a tool change.!
    First "proper" project is to make a dust shoe - I figured it'll end up slightly cheaper then buying and be interesting working with cutting plastic.
    So the one I'm making is the Avid CNC one, using magnets to allow removal of the brush https://www.cncrouterparts.com/unive...hoe-p-396.html.
    Helpfully they provide the fusion design with parametric value, so it can be edited to hose/spindle size. I'll be making it out of HDPE plastic.

I'm also thinking about trying some aluminium and wondering do I need a mister, or at least air blast to do anything more than minimal work in aluminium? Or would the dust collection remove chips enough?
    I have one of these basic eBay misters https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/f..._Collar_02.png but no compressor yet as most things I read suggest you need a fairly decent tank size to prevent overheating.
    I also looked at silent "dentist type" however the price goes up a fair amount!
    Any advice from those who have "been there and tried that" :)

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    You dont 'need' to have anything for aluminium providing you don't slot too deep or you risk welding to your tooling, it does help massively to have chip evacuation but I get away with it just!

I'm also thinking about trying some aluminium and wondering do I need a mister, or at least air blast to do anything more than minimal work in aluminium? Or would the dust collection remove chips enough?
    I have one of these basic eBay misters https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/f..._Collar_02.png but no compressor yet as most things I read suggest you need a fairly decent tank size to prevent overheating.
    I also looked at silent "dentist type" however the price goes up a fair amount!
    Any advice from those who have "been there and tried that" :)
    Different grades of alli will cut differently. 6082T is generally ok or 7 series and cast alli . just spay a bit of WD40 or equivalent helps but if you get the feeds and speeds correct it will cut fine.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread Information