. .
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200420_120451917.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	27930
    The good news - I now have 4 closed loop steppers and drivers - The bad news is that means more questions:)
    So the motors come with pre terminated wires - oddly a 2M motor and 3m encoder one. To extend the motor one I assume I just use CY cable ? The existing cable does not seem to be shielded.
    But with most people using CY cable right from motor to cabinet, should I be cutting shorter and using a longer run of CY - or does the closed loop negate the need for shielding?
    Same with the trial prox sensor I have, it's pre cabled with non shielded wire, so do people cut short and join?

Also before I ask the manufacturer - does it matter on the polarity the AC connections to the driver are - there are no marking or instructions on Phase / Neutral, assuming it won't matter ?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRY View Post
    The good news - I now have 4 closed loop steppers and drivers - The bad news is that means more questions:)
    So the motors come with pre terminated wires - oddly a 2M motor and 3m encoder one. To extend the motor one I assume I just use CY cable ? The existing cable does not seem to be shielded.
    But with most people using CY cable right from motor to cabinet, should I be cutting shorter and using a longer run of CY - or does the closed loop negate the need for shielding?
    I tend to cut the motor wires short and use shielded cable, but I have used them with the supplied cable and not had any problems. If it was me and you don't have any CY cable then I'd use it as is. You can always change it later if gives you trouble.
    The encoder cable is usually shielded so it won't give you any trouble.

Same with the trial prox sensor I have, it's pre cabled with non shielded wire, so do people cut short and join?
    Cut these short as possible and use shielded cable.

Also before I ask the manufacturer - does it matter on the polarity the AC connections to the driver are - there are no marking or instructions on Phase / Neutral, assuming it won't matter ?

Ryan
    Doesn't matter it's AC alternating current so it bounces both ways so no polarity.

Have my AXBB-E on its way now, so almost all the components - except for the VFD and spindle which I'll leave until I have a moving machine .
    I'll be trying to get UCCNC to control one motor so I at least know it can be done (by me:) ) Linking it up to the Laptop is probably the only part of the electronics I hope goes easily with IT background..!
    So I'm planning to use CAT6 cable I have already for STEP/DIR - do I just use the individual cores still twisted and leave in shielding for the run to stepper?
    Also - what's the best method to join the fixed motor wiring /limit switches to CY cable - just solder and heat shrink over the top? if the CY doesn't run right to the motor (only 1/3 or so) is there any point grounding the shield at cabinet end?

So I'm planning to use CAT6 cable I have already for STEP/DIR - do I just use the individual cores still twisted and leave in shielding for the run to stepper?
    Assuming you mean between the AXBB-E and the motor driver rather than stepper, yes. Try to use differential signal connections if possible, one twisted pair for Step+ and step-, etc. Shield as much as possible, ground the shielding to the star ground in cab.

Also - what's the best method to join the fixed motor wiring /limit switches to CY cable - just solder and heat shrink over the top? if the CY doesn't run right to the motor (only 1/3 or so) is there any point grounding the shield at cabinet end?
    That's what I did. Yes always useful to ground the shielding at the cabinet, otherwise it's just not doing much.

Yep Andy - meant between the AXBB-E and driver!
    Some more progress on the physical build - ballscrew covers are on and work as planned! and most of gantry done. Next is to tackle the motor mounts. Plan is to use the long 35mm shaft length to go through the mount without having to hand route out a pocket as others have.
    I also managed to connect 4 steppers and get them moving via UCCNC with nothing going pop, so know electronics for movement in place.

Name:	ee2 (1).jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	28066

Name:	ee2 (2).jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	28067

Name:	ee2 (3).jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	28068

Reading Jazz's post elsewhere I realise I may have been confusing the X and Y axis all this time.oops. So stranding directly in front of the machine, I was calling left to right movement across the gantry Y and front to back X. So I have configured the dual ballscrew axis as X in UCCNC,
    Reconfigure is just in software so OK, but can someone confirm I have been wrong, and X should be right to left (as per graph axis) and Y is dual axis. Probably good to know for a CNC machine:)

I'm also worried about the stand/table, When you put a decent force in the middle of the ply it flexes perhaps a couple of mm.
    Initially I just needed somewhere to build it and didn't put lots of thought into the stand, thinking the machine frame will maintain it's structure. It's a wooden bench with ply top, I can do a fair amount to strengthen it up but - is this going to be a major sticking point? I see plenty of "desktop" type commercial machines out there which I assume people just stick on a workbench etc?
    Really don't want to start having to get a frame welded if I can help it ! Ideas?

Thanks

Axis labelling can be however you want.

The convention is:
    Standing in front of machine (as you will actually be using it)
    Left to right is X
    Front to back is Y
    Up and down is Z

So yes like a graph.
    CAD and CAM software is based on / defaults to this convention, so easiest to follow it.

Some people get funny and insist that across the gantry must be Y. Or the longest axis must be X. They are wrong. It's about how you draw the design / do the CAM.

Like Pippin say's there is no wrong or right so long as the Controller and Cam match up. Otherwise it gets very confusing when watching the controller Vs machine movement. However the part will still cut correctly provided it doesn't hit the limits which often happens when people mix Axis and Cam up.

But to Answer your question then yes you did have it wrong way around to what is conventional, that being following the Cartesian coordinate system of X=Lft/Rht Y=For/Aft Z=Up/down

Looking good by the way, soon be making chips. then the trouble really starts...Lol
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Great progress, hope you will let us follow you to completion. Having read a lot of build logs here, it is so disappointing when a promising build tails off so you never learn if the design and approach had any merit! There are 5 builders with finished machines in the Gallery Post from 15 pagesx20 DIY build logs, so that is less than 2% that actually complete their machine and stick around long enough to share. It gives me pause, but you are giving me hope!

Not to criticise, but to show I am listening to the grey beards here, and want to copy much you have done:
    I understand the frequent suggestion of having the gantry (X) separate and adjustable from the Y linear bearings for squaring up etc. You clearly still have access to your Y linear bearing screws, so adjustment is still available. However would turning the thick Y linear bearing plate into two, with the lower fixed to the bearings and the upper fixed to the gantry and then bolt and pin them when XY aligned make things more modular and adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewg View Post
    There are 5 builders with finished machines in the Gallery Post from 15 pagesx20 DIY build logs, so that is less than 2% that actually complete their machine and stick around long enough to share. It gives me pause, but you are giving me hope!?
    That's just because people don't bother to post in the gallery thread. Whilst sure, there is an attrition rate, the success rate is a LOT higher than 2% in the build logs. I suggest you look at the last page in each one, you'll get a much better idea where they're up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewg View Post
    Not to criticise, but to show I am listening to the grey beards here, and want to copy much you have done:
    I understand the frequent suggestion of having the gantry (X) separate and adjustable from the Y linear bearings for squaring up etc. You clearly still have access to your Y linear bearing screws, so adjustment is still available. However would turning the thick Y linear bearing plate into two, with the lower fixed to the bearings and the upper fixed to the gantry and then bolt and pin them when XY aligned to make things more modular and adjustable?
    I'm going to answer this Andrew because many won't realize the difference and why it's important, well maybe I should say easier rather than more important.! Ryan might not even realize this yet because it's the first machine he's built.

The Biggest difference is that the 2 plate method doesn't affect the ball screw alignment to adjust the gantry square. However with the single-plate method when you adjust the gantry by loosening the bearing plate you apply a twisting motion on the ball-Nut because the ball-nut mount is attached to the gantry sides which also rotate with the gantry. This puts a bind on the ball-screw so it causes excess wear and lowers the speed.

This then means you have to make adjustments in some other area to bring the ball-screws perpendicular to the gantry sides and parallel to the rails. In a nutshell it's a right pain in the arse.!! . . . The twin plates take all this away.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information