. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seriously... some time I think I’ve got cotton wool instead of a brain.

Was trying to figure out why my perfectly prepared and painted stock was ruined when my CNC engraving design went off the top edge. Went back and checked my design... nope, looks fine... the stock was measured and cut exactly... so what was the problem.

Yup, I’d prepared the stock my cutting this one piece in two but not exactly. I needed my stock piece to be 325mm deep and the offcut was only 290mm... and I had picked up and prepared THE WRONG PIECE... so when I ran my job the v-cutting bit almost hit a screw when running out of stock. DOH!

So what’s your noob-stoopid mistake while using your CNC?

Not exactly a noob error and I've been at this a long time so the list is long but I'm Forever forgetting to Zero Z Dro after finding the material surface. What's worse is I've got touch plate or probe but can't be bothered to use them because I can usually set it quicker manually..

Not installing limit switches or soft limits before starting to play
    .Me

Actually think to today's while setting up a machine was a good one.??? . . . Couldn't for life of me understand why Mach3 wouldn't Reset.! . . E-stop was set and I'd pushed the momentary Reset switch for drives.???? . . . took me a good minute to realize I hadn't actually turned on the power to control box..

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Actually think to today's while setting up a machine was a good one.??? . . . Couldn't for life of me understand why Mach3 wouldn't Reset.! . . E-stop was set and I'd pushed the momentary Reset switch for drives.???? . . . took me a good minute to realize I hadn't actually turned on the power to control box..
    Well you have to turn the power on to your brain first
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I did something similar. I couldn’t get the touch screen on my CNC monitor to wake up... then I realised I hadn’t booted the computer yet.

Sometimes it’s the little and simple things that cause the most problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Well you have to turn the power on to your brain first
    In my defense, I'd only had 1 cup of tea and no Hobnob's so my brain hadn't fired up yet..

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I like to call this kind of fault "Finger Trouble'. Often embarrasing but it's the cheapest and simplest kind of 'fault' to fix.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Most stupid mistake was to edit the .ini file in LinuxCNC v2.8 to set up auto-racking on my twin motor machine and then some weeks later run 'Stepperconfig' to change the acceleration. Took me all morning to realign the gantry.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Most stupid mistake was to edit the .ini file in LinuxCNC v2.8 to set up auto-racking on my twin motor machine and then some weeks later run 'Stepperconfig' to change the acceleration. Took me all morning to realign the gantry.
    Well for the benefit of others I think you meant pncconf if you used a Mesa. But anyway stepconf and pncconf should never be used after the initial run as it will overwrite the hal and ini files. Ask me how I know?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information