. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Haven't seen the DAMHIKIJKOK abbreviation for a while now although it applies to quite a few of my posts. Most recent was carefully setting XY on my router to the corner of my last piece of good-quality ply and forgetting to hit the zero axis buttons on Mach3. Ended up with a very nicely cut gear wheel for the clock I was making with a neat half-inch slice missing off one side...

I was on a roll last night...

I put a z-0 setter on my table so I can use the table as my Z zero. Ran it and it worked fine... the. Put a piece of ply stock on my table and I usually hit “Return to Zero” to check that everything is set... but now my Z zero is one the top of the table, not the top of the stock and... CRUUUUNCCH as my v-bit is rammed into the ply....

Luckily it hadn’t damaged the v-bit and the area where it went into the wood is 20mm away from where my part is cut... but I had to run homing and set up the coordinates again... all because I changed my Z zero location.

But then, I don’t know what I did, all my macros and keymaps and other setting for UGS just went POOF! I have no idea how I did it. Luckily I keep a backup of the settings but then found out that the macros have to be backed up separately... and I hadn’t done so.

So all my routines (including the go to Z zero one that got me into trouble earlier) will need to be manually put in. Hopefully today will be better.

Forgetting that you set the cutting start depth at Z -10mm and watching the machine try to rapid plunge a 1mm bit through 6mm Alu plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Well for the benefit of others I think you meant pncconf if you used a Mesa. But anyway stepconf and pncconf should never be used after the initial run as it will overwrite the hal and ini files. Ask me how I know?
    I'm not posh enough to use a Mesa, I'm still using the cheap Chinese parallel breakout board I bought for my first ever 'proof-of-concept' router which was made out of MDF and used allthread for leadscrews. It's advice worth remembering though!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Haven't seen the DAMHIKIJKOK abbreviation for a while now although it applies to quite a few of my posts. Most recent was carefully setting XY on my router to the corner of my last piece of good-quality ply and forgetting to hit the zero axis buttons on Mach3. Ended up with a very nicely cut gear wheel for the clock I was making with a neat half-inch slice missing off one side...
    Oooooh, tell me more about your clocks and what software you use to design them? Wooden clocks was my main purpose in building a new CNC router, though I haven't made as much progress as I'd like.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Oooooh, tell me more about your clocks and what software you use to design them? Wooden clocks was my main purpose in building a new CNC router, though I haven't made as much progress as I'd like.
    Rather than clutter this thread with more random ratholes, here is a new thread where I can showcase the crap that comes out of my workshop. Waits for complaints about pushing useful stuff off the list - popcorn, anyone?

This thread as bloody Jinxed me.!. . Been at it again today. . . . Same machine this time while setting up tool changing wine Rack was manually jogging tools into holders to get X/Y coords for Macro then MDI to next location and repeat, note the coord's, switch into text editor alter macro and repeat everything went cushty.. . . . . Then for some unknown reason with tool still in the last holder, I go and enter into MDI G0 G53 X0 Y0 . . . Anyone Spot what's missing.?? . . . . Well when you do just imagine what a 125Kg gantry powered by by 2 x 12Nm motors taking off at 30Mtr/min would do to a wine rack .

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Most of my 'mishaps' involve the milling machine. I spend 90% of my time in the workshop running my lathe, and the mill can go weeks without being switched on, so when it does, there is inevitably some re-learning required.

My most common mistake is still typing G0 G53 X0 Z0, then standing wondering why the Y axis hasn't gone to machine zero
    Which is often followed by zeroing the wrong offset...
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Actually think to today's while setting up a machine was a good one.??? . . . Couldn't for life of me understand why Mach3 wouldn't Reset.! . . E-stop was set and I'd pushed the momentary Reset switch for drives.???? . . . took me a good minute to realize I hadn't actually turned on the power to control box..
    lol
    .Me

Luckily I don’t make any mistakes. Anything you see in my videos are done on purpose to show you what not to do.

.. . think I got away with that one.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information